Handwashing Station at Camp site=GREAT

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by secretcreek, Jun 29, 2011.

1. secretcreek

secretcreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I hosted an encampment this past weekend. We camped primitive and did a lot of hiking. We had pit latrines at our camp location, but no way to sanitize our hands at all ( save for handsanitizer) so ahead of time, I asked my sons to watch the www.tippytap.org video (posted here previously) and build a handwashing station for us. Both sons worked on the easy project and the handwash station was the talk ...when folks arrived and eyeballed it. It was used by all the whole weekend. Such a quick easy method and fun to use.

We used two "T" posts, a cross stick attached to the T posts that fit thru the handle of a hanging, clean,repurposed large detergent bottle with a nail hole put in just under the cap area to dribble out clean water. The bottle tilts and water pours slowly out as a cord is attached to the bottle neck down to a rudimentary foot pedal one steps upon. A bar of antibacterial soap was hung from a cord on the post. The station was placed directly between two latrines.

I also scheduled in a family to give a dutch oven demo to the group and it was so well done, we all learned so much from it and the food was great ( cornbread chili/pigs in a blanket/peach cobbler.

Just passing on survival skills one at a time in my neck of the woods...
    -scrt crk

2. stamphappy

stamphappy Well-Known Member

I remember watching that video, thought it was great. Did you take pictures of your handwashing station and latrines? Please post!

3. secretcreek

Yes, a neighbor took a photo...but it's so small you can't see details. I couldn't figure out to post it here without giving away personal info off of my private FB wall.

4. stickinthemud

stickinthemud Well-Known Member Supporter

Went to Three Rivers Arts Festival in downtown Pittsburgh early this month. To cut down on plastic bottle trash, they had water tanks set up to re-fill water bottles. Tanks about 3ft diameter, 3ft deep set up on legs about 4ft off the ground. First time I'd seen them, great idea. Best part, they were free-sponsored by local businesses.

5. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

WOW I hadn't seen that before. Very good idea! Thank you for sharing it again.

6. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

That's a wonderful idea! Thanks for posting :)

7. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that is cool. I think I'd like to put one in my garden, so I can rinse off vegies before I eat them, and so I can wash up in between jobs. Thanks for posting - simply ingenious!

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

9. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

Now there, I just learned something!

10. Bluesgal

Bluesgal Well-Known Member

Gets my vote for Post of the Week! What a great idea!

11. secretcreek

Those photos are exactly the structure that we had. We too learned how to make that from this forum about a yr or so ago when someone posted the www.tippytap.org URL

--scrt crk