Hairless Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by AllWolf, Dec 25, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I was on another board and some thinks hairless sheep don't have no wool or hair. I'm trying to explain to them that they do as far as I can remember and trying to find photos of what they look like. Maybe you experts on here may can help me out... :)

2. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

It might help if they are referred to by "Hairsheep" - the correct term. :rolleyes:

I have pictures of our Katahdins on my website - just click on the Katahdin button for several pictures.

Besides Katahdins, there are Barbados, Dorper, Wiltshire Horn, Royal White, St Crouix, etc.

Best
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

are they talking about barbados blackberry sheep? (not sure if I spelled it correctly)

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

That is tooooo funny a typo, PygmyLover. :)
    Its BlackBELLY - I'm sure you know. But.....maybe they are techno-sheep. Or perhaps blackberry refers to their droppings...... :) :)

LOL
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

5. PygmyLover

I have only seen them in pictures since they look like Oberhaslis goats I was intrigued but couldn't remember the exact name. oh well :doh:

6. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

I have a Barbados Blackbelly ram-- and yes, their droppingings COULD be blackberries!!! It is interesting to see the reactions of people as they see my "goat" and I correct them to tell them it is really a SHEEP! One Amish neighbor asked how someone got a goat and sheep to crossbreed....
    The Barbados Blackbelly is very hard to find, and is polled, while the American Blackbelly is quite common and horned.

And yes, they do look like Oberhaslis, which is why I am actually considering the Oberhasli as my goast breed-- really get the locals confused :angel:

7. PygmyLover

not to get off on goats here but I loved my oberhaslies. Yah that would really make people confused. Tehe

8. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

These people on the other place thinks these sheep has no hair at all. Gosh some people just don't seem to understand they are called haired sheep not hairless.. Sheeewww.

9. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

EVERY person that see my Soay sheep for the first time ask "what kind of goats are they?" My son does not correct them and when I ran into one of his friends in a store the guy asked how the goats were. I smiled and said "they are not goats, they are sheep". The look on his face was so funny. Even my friend that I sent pics of the sheep to came out with her gdts on day and asked - uh huh, "what kind of goats are they?"