guinea pigs for meat

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by akane, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Rivmage

Rivmage Well-Known Member

Question for the GP group, how are GP droppings for the garden? Are they like rabbit droppings?

Scott

2. HoneyMelon

HoneyMelon Member

Well, I add the GP droppings right in with all of my other animal droppings and I compost it and into the garden it goes. I would assume that you can put GP droppings on straight to a garden like rabbit without composting, but not sure. Rabbit has little or virtually no nitrates that need time to break down. To play it safe I compost everything and then put it out.

3. GBov

GBov Well-Known Member Supporter

How high of a wall is needed to keep them in if one is running them on grass?

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

I think the issue with that would be keeping predators out instead of keeping them in. They aren't really "climbers"

5. GBov

GBov Well-Known Member Supporter

The area is already fenced so I want to run some kind of inside partition to keep them in a set area where they will have day time access only.

Was thinking 18 inches might be enough and easy for me to get over. People throw away those metal shelves round here all teh time, you know the ones, plastic coated wire that adjusts up or down? It might work well to keep the G pigs in.

6. akane

akane Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey my thread is still going. Currently I have 4 breeding groups with 3+ females each. I recently found this 3lb chocolate boar and have his first litter out of a good sized red sow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am picking up a giant cuy boar the 21st of this month. The last 3 days I was sealing the base of my cuy cage with enamel paint and I'm ready to put the wire panels on tomorrow.

Not as meat related I have a side project of teddy coated and another of roan colored pigs. Although I still use culled offspring from them as cat and dog food. I'm just not concentrating as much on size for them. I haven't been getting roan sows, just boars, so my roan breeding is going nowhere fast.

Major garden plans for a big grazing pen. I started laying out the dividing line of cement blocks set in the ground between guinea pig grazing and human vegetables last fall. We are going to build a pallet based fence on that and then wire across it as needed for the guinea pig portion.

7. Iason

Iason New Member

Glad to see someone doing this with an understanding of importance of maintaining genetic diversity and working to increase size. Where did you get the chocolate boar? I presume it is a cuy but I never heard of them in that color. I have some ideas about setting up my landscape to allow these little critters to do the weeding for me.

8. Iason

Iason New Member

Will someone please message me if you know where I can buy a few cuy? Thank you!

9. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

10. sn4k3grl

sn4k3grl Active Member

Is anyone in in the New England seacost area (ME, MA, NH) having any success with guinea pigs? I am looking at getting into them and would love to meet up.

11. fluttervale

fluttervale Member

I know I'm late to respond, but I could keep my household pets in with 4 inches of fence...on the floor...

They're not very bright creatures.