Goat's favorite forages, fodder, etc

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chancehayden, Apr 16, 2011.

1. chancehayden

chancehayden Well-Known Member

These are plants I'm trying to incorporate into the landscape I hope to create for a dairy goat farm one day. I've gleaned this info from various sources so what I'm hoping for is that some of you have experience with these plants and goats and can tell me if they like them. Also, if you have any more in mind or have seen your goats eat it preferentially please include. Thanks

Alfalfa
    Kudzu
    Lambsquarters
    Tagataste
    Sericea Lespedeza
    Sunflower Seeds
    Chicory
    Comfery
    Honeysuckle
    Stinging Nettles
    Mangels
    Jerusalem Artichokes
    Velvetleaf?
    Amaranth?
    Acorns?
    Epimedium
    Thistles
    Purple Deadnettle
    Leafy Spurge (invasive)
    Dandelion
    Yarrow
    Matua
    Blackberries/Raspberries
    Tribulus
    Clovers
    Cannabis
    Wheatgrass
    Sage
    Mustard
    Chamomile
    Borage
    Lovage
    Echinacea
    Apios Americana
    Perennial Sunflowers
    Alfalfa, clover, wheatgrass hay mix, and comfrey?
    Red alder, redcedar, salmonberry
    Squash
    Kale
    Honey and Black Locust
    Capers
    Alfalfa, Italian ryegrass hay mix
    Eleagnus
    Weeping Willow
    Poplar
    Sugar Maple
    Buckwheat
    Mimosa

2. chancehayden

Goji Berry Shrubs
    Seabuckthorn shrubs

3. prairiedog

prairiedog Well-Known Member Supporter

Pecan trees and mulberry trees

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

They will not eat stinging nettles fresh. You can, however, if you cook them. The goats may eat them if they are dried. I would leave out the leafy spurge....I could be wrong but it seems that I have heard that it has a milky sap that irritates the mouths of grazing animals...plus, it is invasive.

I also would not put locust near them, although it could be used as a hedge tree farther away from them...the thorns can get stuck in their hooves. Red alder and willow are both good in a goat pasture or for coppicing and feeding the shoots. Serviceberries are also very much appreciated by goats. :)

5. LearningLife

LearningLife Well-Known Member

I would have second thoughts about adding kudzu. I have heard that goats really like it, but unless you have A LOT of goats to control it, it can take over your landscape, killing many of your other plants. There are whole stands of trees around here that are just dead wood now standing completely covered in the stuff.

6. CaliannG

CaliannG She who waits.... Supporter

You don't have any of MY goat's favorite things to eat in there!

Roses
    Marigolds
    Petunias
    Rose of Sharon
    Wisteria
    Anything else in my mother's flower beds......

7. Manchamom

Manchamom trail ahead-goats behind

Swamp rose, birdsfoot trefoil, flax, umm, how are you going to get away with the cannabis?

8. chancehayden

Gotcha, mulberries, pecans, serviceberries, and marigolds will all work exceptionally well on the permaculture farm in my mind. As far as the kudzu, my plan is to build something for the goats to climb on in each pasture portion of each paddock and on a few of these stands plant the kudzu all around it. That way I can just mow around the stands to control it. Either this or plant it along a few of the fences. I'm expecting to do a few hours a week of machete work as part of my exercise routine.

Keep the plants coming! Hopefully I'll have enough to provide the goats with a wide variety of food choices at every paddock rotation.

9. chancehayden

Hmm, good ideas, I need to look these up. Get away with cannabis? You mean it doesn't grow naturally in these parts...:D Seems kinda crazy to lock a brother up for something God grows..

10. CaliannG

CaliannG She who waits.... Supporter

Cannabis ruderalis grows naturally and along railroad tracks all through the midwest

But yes, they will still lock a brother up if they find it growing wild. You'll probably get out of it as long as the lab comes back with the species being cannabis ruderalis.... since the only thing you will get from smoking it is a headache.

But if the lab finds it is cannabis sativa or cannabis indica, then a brother's gonna do some time. And yes, a simple gas spectrometer will allow them to know what kind it is.... and those are available for $600 on e-bay, nearly every department can afford one.

:) Just trying to be helpful and keep a brother from getting dissed by da MAN. :)

11. chancehayden

Aw well I guess it'll have to grow naturally on my property interspersed between similar looking plants. Super silver haze, afghan kush, and white widow, bump that ruderalis stuff, only the best for these goats.

12. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

Anything you don't want them to eat.

13. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

Not only that, but in many southern states it is considered a noxious weed and it is forbidden to grow it intentionally.

14. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Exactly.
    Anything you want to keep and don't want them to touch, is their favorite food. Like grape vines, fruit trees, perennial flowers, etc :indif:

15. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Oh. They are quite fond of peas.

16. Manchamom

Manchamom trail ahead-goats behind

Oops, strike the flax. While the seeds are edible it seems the green plant can cause upset do to acid content.

17. floodthelast

floodthelast Well-Known Member

Calendula are good for them too and an easy annual.

18. farmermaryann

farmermaryann New Member

I heard a good one at a permaculture course lately: "work is a failure in design" So maybe leave the kudzu out and let the goats do the machete work for you! I have heard similar reservations about sea buckthorn...still cogitating on it for our situation.

19. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Mine aren't keen on velvetleaf, or amaranth, if you mean what we call "red-root pigweed". They do eat burdock and have completely cleared all the milkweed out of my pastures. They won't eat cockleburrs - that's the one weed I have to go root out manually.

Oh, and one of my bottle kids pretty much ate down the rhubarb patch last year. :yuck: I've also seen the kids eating deadly nightshade.

20. Sonshine

Sonshine Well-Known Member Supporter

Kudzu is not really that hard to control. When I lived in Alabama it grew all around us, but we never had problems with it in our yard or on our trees, as long as you mow your lawn, you shouldn't have problems with it.