Goat Milk and Blackstrap Molasses~Yummm

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mommyjen, Apr 22, 2008.

1. mommyjen

mommyjen Active Member

We don't have our own milk goats anymore but we do buy raw goats milk (4 gallons a week). We have discovered this combo and love it around here. It's great for when the milk starts to turn and really covers the off taste well. I've also that found that often those with an aversion (in their head usually) will drink goat milk with molasses in it. My kids pretend it's their iced coffee and that is what it tastes like, unless you add lots. We use blackstrap molasses as it's cheap and high in many minerals.

Jenny in Oregon

2. perplexed

perplexed Active Member

My husband used to feed a little to his goats to make the milk sweet.

3. CookingPam777

CookingPam777 Well-Known Member

So molasses is pretty healthy stuff and I shouldn't worry about over giving it? I was afraid that it was still bad for them.

4. crazygoatgal

crazygoatgal Well-Known Member

Too much can cause ketosis, I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong. But we always give it to a doe who has just kidded (in some warm water) to help her gain back depleted energy and something. Hows that for a novice answer?

5. mommyjen

mommyjen Active Member

LOL! I mean we drink the molasses! Not sure if its good for the goats or not. Sugar is sugar even if it's a healthy one. We usually try to only drink it when milk starts to turn or for a special treat and then I only add just the least amount to flavor it that I can. Sorry for the confusion:eek: