Gift ideas for the Mother in law who has everything?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Elizabeth, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, I'm stumped.

We drew names for Christmas gift giving this year and I drew my mother in law's name. Now I am stumped. So is everyone else in the family. And this is ONE of the reasons why I hate the gift exchanging part of Christmas.

MIL already has everything she could possibly want or need.

She enjoys a little bit of gardening (during the 3 months of thaw here in MN!)
    She enjoys her grandkids.
    She enjoys reading, but I am not sure what she has and hasn't read.
    She likes birds but already has a million bird houses and feeders from previous gift-giving occasions.

I can't understand people who don't have hobbies, lol. Hubby and I have at least a dozen hobbies, each, and we are so EASY to buy for!

I'm open to suggestions. She is the BEST mil and I'd rally like to get her something special.

2. thaiblue12

thaiblue12 Enabler!

Well how about a gift card to a bookstore, or a nursery?
    I usually do not like gift cards htey do not seem as personal, but sometimes when you get a hard to buy for person they are the way to go.
    If you really hate that idea how about getting a wicker basket and putting in seeds, a gardening book, trovel, gardening gloves and things like that?

3. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

Gift certificate for a garden center.

Gift certificate for a book store.

Coupon stating that you will take her out to dinner at her favorite restaurant.

4. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

Bookmarks, a neck pillow or a reading light? You could cross stitch her a personalized bookmark or if you are artistic make her another type of bookmark. How about making her a calendar with pics of all the grandkids? A magazine script to a garden magazine? What music does she like? You can get her some cds and put in a pretty gift basket with bookmarks and flower seeds or something.

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Great idea. I thought of this last year and intended to take pictures of the kids throughout the year. In the end I forgot to do it and don't have enough good pics now. Definitely on th list for next year though. My brother and his wife used to do this for my mom and it was her absolute favorite gift.

%^$#@ those who have produced grand kids. We haven't.:Bawling:

6. BamaNana

BamaNana Well-Known Member Supporter

Have someone make her a special DVD "movie" of all her children and grandkids throughout the years.

She would love it!!!

I would be more than happy to make one for you... free of course!

Just get me the pictures... either snail mail or on line w/photobucket

If you act NOW we have time!!! :)

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

How about a subscription to a bird magazine? Or a book on birdwatching, or one to identify birds?

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I got my 'has everything' MIL a digital picture frame - we preloaded it with pictures of all of her grandkids and great grandkids. She loves having framed pictures of the family setting around her house but She's running out of places to put up new pictures of everybody, so we thought a frame that would hold a bunch of pictures would be perfect for her.

If you have spending limits for your gift exchange, you might want to look at doing the same thing with one of those digital keychains.

9. BlueberryChick

BlueberryChick Well-Known Member Supporter

Bird food for the feeders?

Blue

10. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

11. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

How about a tape of all of those grandchildren saying "Merry Christmas Grammy..here's what I love the BEST about you." wrap the tape up and attach it to the new bird seed mouse-proof container full of seed :)

(You know, that sounds SO good, I think I'll ask for that myself next year) LOL.

12. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm just going to offer one thought - think comfort. . . perhaps a soft fleece throw with her initials/name, or soft flannel pj's with soft socks to match. Comfort is a personal luxury especially as we age.

13. Itsme

Itsme Guest

paint by number kit

woodburning kit

word search/crossword puzzle books

puzzle of birds or garden theme

garden sculpture

pretty smelling lotion

Animal slippers!!! I gave a pair of animal slippers (bought in the kids dept.) for my grandmother when she was still alive....what ahoot! She loved them!

Lottery tickets/scratch offs....we do this for dad on fathers day and his b-day. $20 worth. *shrug..... its fun, and heck! ya never know!

Subscription to birds and bloom magazine or country woman or one of those type.

Maple syrup

Cheese and fruit

Restraunt gift card

14. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I once bought my grandma who has everything a pair of brightly-colored garden clogs. She absolutely LOVED them. I don't know that she ever wore them, but she sure liked to look at them sitting by her door. She pointed them out to people when they visited and told folks that I bought them for her. Sigh...she's in a nursing home now. I should go see if they are still sitting by her door so I can bring them home and sit them by my door. Now I'm getting all weepy.

15. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

My first thought was pictures in frames or an electronic frame.

My second was a magazine subscription. That's one of my favorite things to get as well as give. Every month you are reminded of the person.

16. MN Gardener

MN Gardener Well-Known Member

Maybe a membership to the MN Horticultural Society? or something from the MN Master Gardeners.

17. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

Binoculars and a bird book for her area. Binoculars sell for $10 on up so they're actually an affordable gift.

:coffee: RedTartan

18. LisaInN.Idaho

LisaInN.Idaho Naturally Twirly Supporter

We have the same problem and this year made a contribution in my MIL's name to the local food bank. In years past we've done the same with Heifer Project International.

19. ArkansasLady

ArkansasLady Well-Known Member Supporter

we had some photo mugs made up for our people who have everything...

~C~

20. happysmyly

happysmyly Well-Known Member

For those that have everything--I try to come up with a way to give them my time... so with a reader--you could coupon her that during each month you'll both read the same book and then meet for lunch to discuss... or coupon for helping her get the pre-garden setup work done... or a new raised bed or something fun like that... where you are spending time together.
    My mom LOVES the digital photo thing--I set her computer up where her screen saver goes through her favorite photos and she leaves her computer on now all day and will still stop and watch sometimes as the pics go by... so the digital photo frame with a promise to help collect some of her favorite photos from all in the family to put on it (you could ask them all to bring their greatest ones on memory sticks to the family gathering).
    Good luck--I know you'll discover the perfect thing--something will just hit you (I always pray and ideas come or I'll be in the right place at the right time to find something that they end up loving).
    Merry Christmas!!
    :) Liz