Freeze proof chicken waterer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by littlebitfarm, Dec 2, 2010.

1. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Thinking out loud here!

I like the idea of using the nipple waterers and always having clean water. Want them freeze proof and chicken proof. I have about 150 chickens, so one or 2 buckets won't do the job.

Thinking a 10' piece of 6" PVC pipe. Nipple every 6". Cap on one end. Cap and a tee on the other end. Take some heat tape and stuff it inside the smallest piece of PVC that it will fit in and stick inside the 6" PVC. Cap on one end and 90 and more PVC on the other end to above the level of the water (out the top f the 6" T. 3 sided box out of rigid foam, leaving the bottom side (nipple side) uncovered. A couple trim pieces of wood to cover exposed insulation on sides.

Heat tape will be dry and chicken proofed. Can add water through the 6" T. Will it work? Why or why not?

Kathie

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

3. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

Yes, it goes inside the water line

5. littlebitfarm

My thought on the 6" PVC was to get enough volume so I only have to fill it once a day. I did find that website. I intend to call them and see if they have shorter than 46' pieces.

Kathie

6. rancher1913

rancher1913 Well-Known Member Supporter

might be to expensive for you but when I built moldy's new chicken building we had a unused nelson hog waterer that I installed and its kept water in front of 150 birds with no problems, auto-fill and auto heat, its nice being able to go somewhere for a couple of days and not have to have a babysitter. last I knew the nelson waterer's ran about 400 bucks but will last for ever.

7. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

8. littlebitfarm

I do have the heated dog dishes. They work fine except they get filthy and I have to fill 2 of them about 3 times a day. I have a leak in a line at the barn, so I don't leave the water turned on down there (water from cistern only), that makes filling it multiple times a day a pain. Also rules out using the nelson waterer. I could buy more dog dishes but really don't want to pay for more heaters running all the time.

My goal is one waterer, that I can fill once a day, stays clean, and stays thawed.

Kathie

9. barnyardgal

barnyardgal Well-Known Member

i use a rubber feed pan to water my chickens with then just use a heat lamp with a 60 watt bulb over my chickens waterer and it works fine..

10. Rusty'sDog

Rusty'sDog Well-Known Member

Rube Goldberg here:
    Toilet tank (free @ city dump or a couple bucks @ Habitat for Humanity)
    Rebuild kit (if necessary)
    Aquarium heater (under $10...e-bay if not local)

remember to flush each time you visit them.

Dog water dishes do not do well w/ hens...especially if they are heated!..."Anybody for a swim?"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010