Floating Row Cover?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by IndyGardenGal, Jul 14, 2009.

1. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal Crazy Goat Lady Supporter

I'm wanting to get some for my fall cabbage as well as some other fall crops as extenders.

Where's can I get the best deal on floating row covers? I was looking at Veseys but wasn't sure where I might find the best deal!

Thanks in Advance!

2. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    I know some folks who get tulle at Joanne's and use one of their 50% or 25% off coupons. Works great. You can have fun alternating rows of pink and orange.

3. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    PS, you could probably find super cheap clearance tulle (if you're not picky about color, but white should be plentifuL) from a mail order source too.

4. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal Crazy Goat Lady Supporter

Would the tulle provide frost protection though?

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

The best price I found a couple of years ago was for Agribon brand, that Johnny's sells. I did a search with Google for "agribon row cover" and as I recall one source was much cheaper than all the others, so I bought a roll, but I don't recall the details--I just looked at the box and the remaining part of the roll but I didn't save any labels. I THINK that I got a 250 foot long by 83 inch wide roll of a medium weight stuff. We use it some years on strawberries for frost protection, and it has lasted a few years so far, with taking it off when it isn't needed any more. Tulle won't provide any frost protection.

6. frankva

frankva Well-Known Member Supporter

You really should Google "floating row cover" and poke around. Different weights, widths, and lengths. Couple degrees frost protection.

7. knoche

knoche Well-Known Member

A local hardware store here carries small pieces, 8'x10' of AG19.
    I use both weights, one for frost protection (AG30 ~1oz) spring and fall and then a lightweight one (AG19, ~.5oz) for insect and bird control. I may switch and use AG50 for frost protection.
    One of the local nurseries uses the heavier weight AG30 as tree wrap during transport of larger trees. They will sell cut lengths by the ft2. So you might check with larger nurseries...
    Our Denver greenhouse and agricultural supply companies sell Agribond in long rolls. It was about 5x more than I needed (7'x250' roll). I may go ahead and get a roll of each since that is still cheaper than buying the smaller pieces and I need to replace some of the damaged cover I had been using.
    Johnny's is a good source though after shipping kinda pricey for me. There are others such as Vesey's, Drip Works, Agricultural Solutions, Greenhouse Supply, etc. There might be some one close to you.
    Google is your friend...