Finished objects (knitting)

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by CinnamonHarvest, Mar 19, 2017.

1. CinnamonHarvest

CinnamonHarvest Active Member Supporter

This year I'm definitely behind on my knitting goals (always seems to be the way)...I got some nicer yarn that I'm excited to work with (not to say that what I've got on the needles atm isn't nice yarn, but its a new to me fiber blend and I'm excited), but I've told myself I MUST finish what I have on the needles before I cast on with this new yarn.

I have 2 more projects to wrap up before I can dive in...this was the quick and easy one:

[​IMG]

MoBookworm1957 and Nsoitgoes like this.
  2. CinnamonHarvest

Alrightie, one more to go before I can dig into the pretty yarn I told myself I wouldn't touch until I got these projects done. This is the Celtic Myths shawl from ravelry...it's made from 100% wool, on I think it was size 7 needles. If I were to do this one again, I'd use smaller needles and go for a few more repeats of the body...anywho. Yay!

Don't mind my floor...or the random citrus plants under the grow light in the background...

IMG_0248[1].JPG IMG_0249[1].JPG

mzgarden and MoBookworm1957 like this.

3. alida

alida Well-Known Member

The shawl is beautiful. I'm not familiar with the Celtic Myth pattern - do you use a cable needle for the crossovers? I'm making a scarf right now with a three strand cable on either side and a textured band in the middle. The cabling is my favourite part of the scarf and I want to do more cable somethings after I finish the scarf, but I'm not sure I could manage such fine cables as your pattern shows.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  4. CinnamonHarvest

You do use cables, I had a kid wander off with my cable needle, so I just used a spare size 4 dpn that I had lying around. Its a pretty straight forward pattern. You need to know how to yarn over, m1L, m1r, knit, purl, purl 2 together, knit 2 together and how to read a chart (its pretty easy) for the cabled portion. You knit the body, and then cast on 38ish stitches at the end of a row, and purl together 2 stitches every other row to connect your 38 cast on to the body of the shawl. It does get a bit boring about halfway through the body...then picks up when your doing the cables. At little past the halfway mark on the cables I was over cables...but I also recently started a job where I work overnights (last week was 50 hours in 4 days) and it seems that all I do is sleep on my days off, which slowed down progress. You can get the pattern for free on ravelry. Celtic Myths Fingering Shawl link here

If you know the basics of cabling, but not the other items, I'd recommend it as a good learning pattern.

MoBookworm1957 and alida like this.
  5. alida

alida Well-Known Member

thank you for the recommendation CinnamonHarvest. I clicked on the link and read the cable instructions. I think this is doable, perhaps trying a swatch first to see if I can keep track accurately.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  6. CinnamonHarvest

I usually print out charts and vandalize them as I go...its really the front side you need to keep track of, the back side you just knit the ones that look like knits on the wrong side, and purl the ones that look like purls on the wrong side. Also...on the wrong side, with the exception of the border and the last 3 stitches your purls (which are your knitted cables on the right side) will be in groups of 2 or 4 only (since your knitted cables are 2 wide)

MoBookworm1957 and alida like this.