Homesteading Forum banner

Feeding pigs soaked corn??

58K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  oregon woodsmok 
#1 ·
How many out there soak whole corn for their pigs? I am feeding 16% growers feed right now and have been since I bought them at 30lbs. I am going to try and feed them 50/50. I heard the wet corn is absorbed more, also I can save some money possibly feeding them less of the growers feed which cost 4.88-5.60 here in Missouri, while the corn is only 3.00 for 50lbs. thanks for any thoughts.

#2 ·
I use dry whole kernal corn, but you will find some people swearing one way or the other. Soaking it, will initiate the germination process and the kernals will start to convert the starch into sugar, and probably will slightly increase the fat the pig puts on, as opposed to meat.

#3 ·
I feed soaked corn. I feed two 5 gallon buckets a day to 6 sows and as much bread as they want. I soak the corn for a day and rarely find any in there manuer. I tried soaking the corn longer and it didnt seem to help. I fill the buckets about 3/4 full of corn and top the bucket off with water. Im paying about $6 per hundred for corn and a backery gives me there bread that is not sold in the groucery stores. No cookies or cakes, all the bread is natural grain no perservatives and has a shorter shelf life. I pickup 2 pickup trucks a week. Arnold W

#4 ·
We feed soaked feed comprised of flour screenings (corn and/or flour), COB w/molasses, and soybean meal to jack up the protein. We feed twice a day and soak the feed mix in between each feeding. Its worked for us for about 20+ years. The flour screenings I can get for 3-5 cents per pound so that helps with the cost of feed. The pigs also get our kitchen and garden scraps depending on the type and quantity.

#5 ·
I fed mine Corn and Shorts soaked,plus Bread and extra Milk.But I used lots of Lard.

My neighbors bought a couple Hogs off me,said they had to put them on a diet before they butchered them. :rolleyes: :haha:

big rockpile

G
#7 ·
Soaked chopped corn is better. A lot of whole corn will pass on through so you have more waste. The more processed the corn is the better the pig will put on weight. It's the same with people. Cornmeal used for baking is more fattening then opening up a can of whole corn.

#12 ·
I feed a corn/grain sorghum mix. I have an old 150 quart cooler that I fill with grain, then top with water and feed out of it for a week and refill.

There is no whole corn passed in their droppings. I do feed a sow/pig supplement made by Purina with this to the gilts and boar pig I plan to breed this Winter for a more balanced diet.

#17 ·
Makes me think of soaking corn in lime water to make hominy.
The process makes riboflavin and amino acids more bio available from the corn, and the calcium from the lime balances the phosphorus in the corn.

Wonder if this would have any added nutritional value to the pigs over plain water soaking and would be worth the effort?

#18 ·
What is going on with people digging up old threads lately? ZOMBIES!
It's because you have new pig owners like me and my husband--we do searches for information before posting a question here, which means that sometimes, if we find some information but not all on an old thread, we revive the thread to get the rest. :happy2:

I'll have to post pictures of our two boys soon so you all can tell me if it's normal to have a calico Yorkshire/Hampshire cross . . .

#20 ·
The process makes riboflavin and amino acids more bio available from the corn, and the calcium from the lime balances the phosphorus in the corn.

Wonder if this would have any added nutritional value to the pigs over plain water soaking and would be worth the effort?
I'm going to bring this Zombie alive again.... remember you have to 'double tap'!:bash:

I had this same thought while reading this tread. Any others have any input here?

#22 ·

Ok my question is will lime water make them gain weight? We slop our pig feed not so much corn??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.