feeding oats

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Menglish, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Menglish

Menglish Well-Known Member

I've been mixing my pig pellets with whole oats since I got them. I notice that a fair amount of the oats seem to "pass through" undigested. Can't say that I've done more than look but I have noticed them nosing through them and eating out the undigested ones.

My question is would there be any advantage of rolling or crimping them? If so what's a good starter unit...read cheap!!!

Mike

2. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

I would guess rolled.

How the little piggies doing?

Going to try to get to see you in the next couple of weeks.

3. olivehill

olivehill Well-Known Member Supporter

Mike, you're not far from me are you? I'm trying to remember. Best practice would probably be to grind them, but it's not always feasible at home. You can take them to the mill and have them ground for a very nominal fee though. If my memory isn't junk and you are near me and you are interested in that option shoot me a PM and I'll tell you of one place I know that does it and what the cost is. :)

Assuming here you're using them because you've got a big bulk supply of them. If you're buying them from the mill to begin with, just ask them to grind them for you before you pick them up.

4. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried soaking your oats or grinding them? If whole corn is fed to hogs or cow, a lot of it will pass through the digestive system without the animal getting the good out of it.

5. Menglish

Riverdale I'm not too far from you. In fact I went past Riverdale just last Saturday. I coach basketball at the local highschool here and the junior high girls played in a tournament over at Vestaburg. Come on over...hopefully have a litter due here pretty soon.

Olivehill, I'm west of 127 about 10 miles just off of 57. I think you are right and we are fairly close. I buy oats at a local feed store but I don't know if they can grind or roll fo rme. I could soak them...never thought of that.

6. Rogo

Rogo Well-Known Member

I fed crimped oats since they're more digestible, but my AHH don't like oats. Rolled barley yes, oats no! -G-

7. Mare Owner

Mare Owner Sugarstone Farm

I feed whole oats. Grinding them costs more money and labor/time than it's worth to me. I have chickens, ducks, geese, turkey, and guineas that clean up around the pigs so not much goes to waste.

8. Menglish

Thanks Mareowner!

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Menglish

Start making a "slop" by souring the oats by soaking them in water a few days in advance of feeding the oats. Add the pig pellets at the time of feeding and stir before pouring the "slop" to the pig.

10. Menglish

Thanks I'll give that a try as soon as it quits getting below freezing here. Only 30 this morning but just a week ago we were down to 8 above 0. Don't really want a 5 gallon bucket of soured outs in the house! LOL

11. olivehill

olivehill Well-Known Member Supporter

Careful they don't get too sour as well, at least with the young ones. I know of at least one AGH owner that lost young pigs to soured slop.

12. Riverdale

Cool, I'll drop you a note.

I'll check with Steve (here at the Riverdale elevator) and see if they would roll or grind oats (we get out feed through there).

And if you came acrossed Lincoln Road between Alma and Lumberjack, you came by the house, like right in front of it ;)

:D

13. Fisch

Fisch Active Member

Menglish, what kind of hogs do you raise? I am just south of Merrill, western Saginaw County. Our feed guy at our elevator here suggested not feeding oats as they act as a laxative. Any truth to that anybody?

14. Fisch

Fisch Active Member

Likewise, Riverdale, what type of hogs are you running? I am always on the look out for good feeder suppliers locally, though I did find some good ones last year just north of me. They were York/Hamp/Duroc crosses and finished out very nicely.

15. Menglish

Fisch, I'm in my second year of raising American Guinea Hogs. If it's a laxative you couldn't tell it by my pigs. I took the advice of some who raise them as far as feeding them and it has worked well for me. Oh I'm just a bit south of you...Meridian road north of M57. Do most of my shopping etc in Sheilds and travel through Merril all the time. Sure miss Greta's restaurant there! LOL

16. Riverdale

We don't have hogs (right now). Hope (in a year or two) to have a couple for our own consumption. I do know a good butcher in Elwell, tho ;)

South of Merrill? I am on Lincoln (turns into Swan Creek in Saginaw Co.).

Maybe run into you at a St Louis small animal swap :D

17. springvalley

springvalley Family Jersey Dairy Supporter

Oats are a wonderful feed, and as some have allready said here it is best to roll, grind or soak them first. And many small elevators use to roll oats on a regular basis, but as times have changed, so have the elevators. Some don`t use their rollers any more, as not much call for them. Good Luck. > Thanks Marc

18. Mare Owner

Mare Owner Sugarstone Farm

Oats as a laxative? Never heard that. No evidence of that in my hogs.

19. Menglish

I get up to St. Louis a couple of times a summer. Love to go early and then sneak over to Big Boys and have the breakfast buffet and read a paper. That combo is truly a luxury for me!

20. Riverdale

See you the 16th of April for the small animal swap?

Talked to Steve over here at Riverdale feeds, They don't roll oats :(