Easy cider

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by kyweaver, Jan 3, 2017.

1. kyweaver

kyweaver Well-Known Member

Our Costco had pasteurized cider for $3.99 a gallon. We chucked five gallons into a carboy along with some yeast nutrients and US-05 beer yeast. fermented for three weeks and then kegged. So easy and tasty.
    This isn't the world's best cider, but is still much better than any mass market stuff available. With five month old twins and DH finishing his dissertation, we haven't managed to brew anything more complicated lately.

2. FrankD

FrankD Active Member

Years ago I tried one of those "home brew" kits for wine, but was not impressed as the wine took too long and really did not taste that well.

Have you ever tried "Green Deane"'s method of making your own starter yeast for hard cider and wines? It looks rather easy and all natural.

3. kyweaver

kyweaver Well-Known Member

I love Greene Dean for foraging info! For brewing, not so much. The problem with wild yeast is that it has its own flavors, they are unpredictable, and not always good. While experimenting can be fun, I like my brews with a nice clean taste, so I use packaged brewing yeasts. For cider, I do like beer yeast instead of wine yeast. It clears up and matures faster.

4. FrankD

FrankD Active Member

I like Green Deane and some others videos as they are helpful. Only problem was watching them on youtube with the embedded advertising and trying to remember which video is which.

So I downloaded all of his and the others I like, and am adding a front end to it to help me locate which plant or series like fruit, whether it is to be used as food, wine, jams, jellies, teas, etc. Hopefully I should be able to put them on one dual layer DVD and just load it up when I need to know something specific.