Don't put sharp knives in the soapy sink water...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

because when you reach in you can't see where they are and you could cut yourself real good, like me. Ow!

I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

2. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

I made the same mistake, leaving my very sharp filet knife in the sink. Unfortunately it was DD (Emma) who suffered from my mistake.

3. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Your post is very worthy.

In 1998 my mother was doing dishes. She reached in to the water a knife was facing up wards and cut her in the palm of her hand. She reacted and hit her hand on the facet.

For two days she tried to use it. Just could not. It did not hurt at all she says. Just a small under 1/4 inch cut.

Well long story short. 5 daysin the hospital haveing a severed nerve fixed and 6 broken bones in her hand. They had to cut into her thigh to get nerves to graft in. Had to cut skin from her arms to graft skin. It really was a odd thing that most would not think of.

This scared me as she ended up getting very ill after from infections. So the knives DO NOT go into the soapy water in my home. They get washed one at a time.

4. tinda

tinda Well-Known Member

There has been a rule in my house -- no sharp knives in the dish water AT ALL! Not since I ran a paring knife through the palm of my hand. :nono:

5. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I learned that in Home Economics. I always save knives for washing last, if I can. Be careful if you put your hand in a glass to wash, too. I cut my hand up when the glass I was washing broke...Just as I turned my hand. Ended up with 22 stitches.

6. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

I did this too. I should have had stitches, but didn't. I have a big scar. I never put my hand in a glass now. I never put knives in dish water now. I hold them in my hand, wash, then rinse and get out of the way. I have a knife only drawer. This way, I know whenever I open that drawer, it means be careful. Something else, never push garbage down with your hand in the garbage can. I once had a co-worker that did this and sliced his hand open on something, I don't remember exactly what it was.

7. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

Or a disposal in your sink! Never stick your hand in there for ANYTHING, unless the power SUPPLY is disconnected. Just having the switch off isn't enough.

8. 2007glory

2007glory Greetings! from New York

I can't believe you people didn't know NOT to do these things!! I've know these rules since I was 5!

9. Murron

Murron Well-Known Member

That would be very..... very........ messy! Ouch!!

10. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

Every time I have to do that, I always think of those creepy horror movies where the ghost, monster, whatever turns on the disposal just as the actor sticks their hand in...I keep a firm eye on the switch when I go fishing in the disposal...