Dog killed for chasing sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by wendle, Nov 21, 2012.

1. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

This is an article about a lab who got in with a farmer's sheep and was shot dead. Interesting how many people are defending the dog and making threats to the farmer. Sad all the way around and I sure feel for the farmer in this. Notice the dog owner is wanting to go back after the farmer believing he is in the wrong. This could be a good lesson for those of us on how to deal with stray dogs attacking sheep and what the consequenses could be.

Dog shooting in Newcastle sparks controversy | wcsh6.com

2. springvalley

springvalley Family Jersey Dairy Supporter

The three S`s are allways used up this way, they are shoot, shovel and shut up. Enough said. > Thanks Marc

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

People shouldn't let their dogs run, period. Not only should dogs like this be shot, the owners should pay for any damaged or killed livestock.
    Livestock isn't cheap.
    Have been on the receiving end of dogs enough in my past, I have no sympathy, toward the dogs owner.

Rather see a dog like this shot, than end up killing someone's kid or other people's livestock.

4. mink

mink Well-Known Member

theres no leash law up there in maine? id say maybe the dept of agriculture may have money to pay the farmer also for sheep killed by dogs. sheep are like deer chased in the winter , stress is the ultimate killer even if the dog doesnt catch them. im all for the farmer .

GoslingFever and secuono like this.
  5. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

If you check out the Lab owner's facebook page it looks like he is bound to press charges. It mentions the dog wasn't attacking the sheep, but playing. We all know how dangerous that is. The law in that area apparently mentions the dog needs to be attacking the sheep to warrant being shot by the owner.

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

So, the farmer is supposed to ascertain if the dog is merely "playing" with the sheep or picking out a muttons chop?

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't understand people. They will get a Lab, born and bred to be hunting, and expect it to stay in the yard. Had a lot of trouble with neighbor's two labs (mixes?) killing my chickens and trying to kill my ducks. Dogs ended up a mile away in a tiny village, killing rabbits that were in an off the ground hutch. Owner's father shot and killed one dog. He felt bad about it, but there were seven of his kid's bunny's dead and bloody on the ground. Now, he's got another big black Lab that runs loose.

Naturally, I'm with the farmer. Running down the road or in the woods is much different that intentionally going over or through the fencing to "play" with the sheep.

GoslingFever likes this.
  8. SueMc

SueMc Well-Known Member

I had a mare run through a fence and cut up because of someone's pet that should have been home. I would shoot a dog in my pasture a fast as I could, and I like dogs more than I do some people.
    The facebook page with the pic of the dead dog should be taken down. I feel sorry for the farmer. I hope he's not reading all the ignorant comments on FB.

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't supposed running off weight or causing abortions from stress or exhaustion matter? If the farmer has good records he can sue for damages should the sheep fail to perform. No records no proof unfortunately. I wouldn't shoot a dog for a first non violent offence nor a second and there's never a third. There are a lot of coyotes here that do make (especially free running) pets disappear. Devilish critters

thequeensblessing and CaliannG like this.
  10. CesumPec

CesumPec Well-Known Member

I love dogs, would hate to have to kill one, but in the farmer's position, shoot i must.

11. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

City folks don't get it and feel bad for the dog.

I wouldn't have thought twice if I would have been the sheep herder... The dog's owner should be saying he's sorry to the farmer for putting him in the position to have to shoot the dog..

12. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty I got it on farm status. Supporter

I wonder how many of those "dog lovers" would feel if the guy was routinely "letting his dog out to play" in town and the dog was hit by a car. The farmer is even less at fault than the driver in the hypothetical situation.

13. gone-a-milkin

gone-a-milkin Well-Known Member Supporter

I never should have looked at the fb page.
    Some of the comments over there are mind-numblingly stupid.

14. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

I wonder if the sheep knew the dog just wanted to play. Or did they not want to take any chances?

awfulestes and GoslingFever like this.
  15. SunsetSonata

SunsetSonata Broken Dreamer Supporter

While I shake my head at all the people posting in support of the dog owner on the Justice for Bentley FB page, fortunately more rational and fair people are posting to the news station's FB page. I feel sorry for the farmer and the dog. Not so much the owner, in fact, only an idiot would let his dog roam within a half mile of a sheep pasture. That was an "accident" waiting to happen.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Amy S and Mme_Pickles like this.
  16. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The dog owner was negligent plain and simple. He didn't take care of his dog. Letting it run could have gotten it hit by a car. The man should be banned from owning a dog.

It sounds like the ex-dog owner is one of the generations that have bought into the victim hood mystique. Nothing is his responsibility. I'd like to see him charged with animal cruelty since his actions endangered his pet. That's the kind of individual that needs taken out back and massaged with a baseball bat until some common sense sinks in.

He's go my vote as a waste of oxygen. :censored: him!!

17. houndlover

houndlover Well-Known Member

Right now in the Portland Oregon area there's a news story about 2 labs that "didn't come home" (running loose), and the owners found them dead, clubbed, in the woods behind their home. Of course the news is all over it from an animal cruelty issue - but the first thing I wondered was "I wonder who's livestock those dogs have been chasing"

18. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the way you think Darren... We're on the exact same page... It was totally wrong of the dog owner to put the farmer in that position to make that choice... The dog owner needs to go apologize to the sheep owner, and buy him a dinner at the finest place in town..

bergere, awfulestes, wendle and 3 others like this.
  19. Goat Servant

Goat Servant Well-Known Member Supporter

You love your dogs? Keep them home or at least leashed, ARRG!!
    One of my Anatolians jumped fence to attack an unleashed golden who wouldnt hurt a fly if his life depended on it.
    I always liked this dog & like his owner. Fact of the matter is, dog was the intruder.
    People dont have any idea that sweet Fido is capable of doing much carnage.

Mme_Pickles likes this.
  20. AverageJo

AverageJo Well-Known Member Supporter

If that dog had come here, I would hope I wouldn't have to shoot it. I would hope that our livestock guard dogs would have deterred it from entering the property. Of course if the dog was silly enough to enter, then I'd probably help out our guardians rectify the situation. I'm not going to let any dog 'play' with our livestock, not even our own.

thequeensblessing likes this.