Dog eats plate of Christmas cookies & candy

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Two Tracks, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Two Tracks

Two Tracks Well-Known Member

Hello, I have a dog that got into the garbage and ate a whole plate of Christmas cookies & candy my neighbors brought over... (I didn't really want it, you know)

This was yesterday, he has thrown up a couple times ..feels ok one moment & not the next... hoping this will just pass, any experience ?

2. Janetm

Janetm Active Member

Really depends on dog size and how much chocolate was involved. My 100 lb rottie ate a half a pan of brownies with choc chips and vet said keep an eye on her. She was fine. A small dog could have lots more problems though.

Two Tracks likes this.

3. Two Tracks

He is about a 70 dog 1/2 boxer 1/2 heeler don't know if those breeds are susceptible or not but I'm glad your dog was fine. Keeping an eye on him now, not sure if he ate wrappers that were around the homemade caramels ~ugg

4. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

Should be ok as soon as the wrappers pass through. I'd withhold food until he seems ok, though. My brother's poodle mix does this regularly.

Good luck!

5. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

Do you have a good relationship with your neighbor? Those cookies were intended for you. They wouldn't have any reason to give you ex-lax cookies would they?

6. Janetm

Janetm Active Member

So how is he doing? Better I hope.

7. Two Tracks

barnbilder, They are good neighbors but horrible bakers... lol

Another puke pile for me to clean up this morning. He seems to be doing ok, cheery anyhow

8. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

Years ago when my kids were young my wife made cupcakes for them to take to their classes. I had a big rangy lab at the time name Fred. We went to church, Fred ate 78 cupcakes. He survived.

nehimama and CountryMom22 like this.