Do you have a wood stove in a trailer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Immaculate Sublimity, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Immaculate Sublimity

Immaculate Sublimity Seriously?

Do you have a wood stove in a manufactured home or a trailer? Do you have Home insurance?

2. manawar

manawar Well-Known Member

In most places it's not an option.
    Unless you took a lot of precautions, with the way trailers burn so quickly, probably not a good idea.

3. WhiteWillow

WhiteWillow Well-Known Member

I can't be much help but I wanted you to know that there is a reasonably priced stove at Tractor Supply Company that is rated for manufactured homes and trailers.

4. kenworth

kenworth Well-Known Member

Family Farm and Home has a pellet stove made to insert in a window.

5. WhiteWillow

WhiteWillow Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool.

6. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Foremost is the insurance company we used when we had a mobile with a wood stove.

7. galfriend

galfriend Well-Known Member

We have a wood cook stove in our older mobile home. Maybe I should mention, it isn't in operation....yet. We are going to open up the kitchen-living room wall and add an addition on the back side and we are planning on putting it there and definitely plan on putting it to use. Our carpenter friend will be doing all this, we will help.
    We do plan on using concrete backerboard and firebricks all around the stove area. I am hoping (thinking) to do as much of the floor in firebricks as we can. Think this might also help for heating ??? We already all have these bricks (got for free) and will be cleaning and cutting them. The piping will go straight out the roof. Less bends the better.
    We've been lucky enough to get all the supplies for free. Most from take-downs.
    When this project gets kicked off (and soon I hope) I will take pictures and post.

8. Mallory

Mallory Member

Sure a lot of them here in the ozark mtns of Arkansas. My dad for one, although he doesn't have insurance, is just renting.

9. wvcabin

wvcabin Well-Known Member

my family and i lived in a mobile home for 4 years before we bought our house, and it came with a wood stove from the manufacturer. never had a problem

10. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Well-Known Member

With proper instalation, heat shields etc, should be no problem putting it in a Mobile Home, some insurance companies I am sure would not like it. I put one in the living room of a camper, had to use several heat shields but it worked good.

11. julieq

julieq Well-Known Member Supporter

At our manufactured home in Northern Idaho we had a wood stove and we had the home insured. From what I understand, it needs to be installed by someone who is certified and installed properly for a manufactured home.

12. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

when we first moved here we used a wood stove in the temperary trailer we used we removed a window and replaced it with sheet steel and ran the pipe thru that , when we had the trailer put in the back section of the property later i had an out door furnace unit in place to heat it and the greenhouse i think that is probably the best option

13. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

A small block house outside the mobile home with a wood stove on a bed of sand inside and connected to the mobile home ductwork provides efficient heat and often satisfies insurance carriers.

14. BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

We bought a new mobile home and put a wood stove in it. We used to have Farm Family Ins. Broker said it met his requirements. We had a certified installer. A week later the ins. broker said farm families was going to cancel our policy!:hair We finally got a policy through Foremost ins.:nanner: Our wood stove is a Drolet, made in Quebec. It has heat shields that allow for reduced clearances. It is rated for a mobile home. We also used double wall pipe. The total installation was $2500.00.

15. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

We have one and had it professionally installed just to make sure everything was to code. We are insured through Foremost Insurance as well.

16. BarbadosSheep

BarbadosSheep Well-Known Member Supporter

No reason you can't put on in a trailer if it's properly installed AND rated for mobile home use. Don't take any shortcuts. Mobile homes burn REALLY fast.

17. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Yes we have one in our doublewide
    Yes we have insurance. It was installed by someone who cares if the house catches fire, it was installed by me. Mine is a Vermont Castings defiant Encore. We built a raised rock hearth with an airspace behind it framed with metal lumber then sheathed with cement board. Chimney is an insulated stainless chimney with a cathedral ceiling kit. Sealed to metal roofing with high heat flashing boot.

18. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My Son has one in Older Trailer,Vented though the Window.Its an Old Cast Iron Stove that I had,gets plenty Hot.

No he has no Insurance.

big rockpile

19. stormaq

stormaq Well-Known Member

I have a wood heating stove in my mobil and I do have insurance.
    Contact your insurance agent for the rules concerning installing wood stoves.
    Try to place your stove as close to the middle of your mobil as possible. If your mobil is not insulated very well, get a blower for your stove or each end of the mobil will freeze.

20. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I've lived in two singlewide manufactured homes with a wood heater, both insured. The heaters were certified for use in a mobile/ manufactured home and were professionally installed. (The latter is very important if you want insurance to cover). I am currently in a doublewide that came with a fireplace with a blower. Not as efficient as a free-standing stove for heat, but it supplements the central.
    No problems with insurance on any of the heaters I've had.