Do yellowjackets sleep at night?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Sep 21, 2009.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a nest of yellowjackets right above the front door, and suddenly it has turned into Grand Central Station with the little vipers coming and going about 3 or 4 a second. One stung me in the ear, so it is time to stop
    living-and-let-living and kill them :viking:.

I was going to use spray starter fluid, which worked so well on a paper wasp nest, but I am hoping there is a time when they are all inside the nest. Do they sleep at night?

2. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

No, they don't really sleep. But, at night - they are all back at the colony.

You still have to be careful even at night, there are a few yellowjackets near the entrance - if they sense danger (usually from vibrations), they'll release a pheromone which triggers the others to come out and attack if necessary.

If you have an evening when it gets a bit cooler, that's the best time. Use a flashlight with red cellophane or red tissue paper over the light (bees and wasp can't see light when it looks red).

Insecticide dusts work best because they track it around back into the colony but you gotta get the dust into the opening.

For more information, check with UNL Website - there is control info and a video on them - - http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/bees.shtml

Good luck

3. totustuus

totustuus Active Member

Nasty little vermin! I did battle in August with three seperate ground nests of the buggers in my yard (after getting stung multiple times cutting the lawn)

They are in the nest at night. That's the time to nuke them. A can of wasp spray (the kind that sprays 20 feet in a stream) directed into their entrance will do the trick.

I tried gasoline on one nest, sprayed another with wasp killer and tried the insecticide powder on the third. All were effective....

So many ways to wage war.....

4. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

We have a ground nest that we need to get rid of. Did these applications work the first time, or did it take several tries?

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I got rid of yellow jackets with a bucket of water and a few drops of dish soap. Place a piece of bacon or fish on the lip of the bucket. They eat and then try to get a drink before going back to the nest. The soap eliminates the surface tension and they fall in the water and drown. Try it.

6. EDDIE BUCK

EDDIE BUCK Well-Known Member Supporter

Be sure to move any chairs,bicycles,flower pots,and step ladders and anything else that will hinder your speed as you hightail it away, with some angry yellowjackets in hot pursuit to sting you.Just in case you miss.:eek:

7. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I like to use dusts because their nests are woven layers of paper pulp they've made from mixing their saliva with wood. The sprays don't get back in there to where the young are. With a dust, it sticks on their body like pollen and they track it back around the nest area. As for gasoline and such, I sure wouldn't use it around my house.... trying to kill insects, not start a bonfire.

8. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

You can also knock the nest down with the garden hose after dark. They usually only stay around the nest on the ground for a day before moving away.

9. coup

coup Well-Known Member

if you are quite and use only enough lite to get you there spray the ones abouve the door with a wasp spray should do it....

in the ground wait till dark have some gas in a hose place one end in their hole and blow,,,and leave........hold your finger over the hose to keep the gas in..

10. totustuus

totustuus Active Member

The gasoline took a couple of tries, only because I didn't wait until night and they weren't all in the nest for the night. It was my revenge for getting stung six times! I was not patient enough.
    The powder worked real well, but took a bit longer to kill them all. I had to make sure that I got a bunch down their entry hole and around the edge. They track the stuff inside and it kills them all. However, sometimes they have two entrances! Gotta find them both and powder both.

As far as whether a one time application or not, I think it depends on the size of the nest. A smaller nest can be more easily wiped out. A large nest might take a pro. This is not for the faint of heart as these yellow jackets can be VERY aggressive in protecting their homes. Be careful, wear good clothing to cover you up and use a red light to see where you're going. Be ready to RUN after applying the stuff and give it time to work its magic.

Good luck and don't get stung....

11. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Had a pretty good sized yellow jacket nest next to the gate, every time you opened it, they would come swarming out. They were the little agressive ones.

I generally allow them to stay, but when they start coming after me, that's it.
    Besides DW is allergic, complete with epipen and all.
    So, couple of cans of Raid "death from 20ft" and the leaf blower, set on "suck", went in.

Spray first, slowed them down then started sucking them up with the leaf blower.

The nest was in the leaves jambed into the climbing rose bush, ( how in the heck do they get in there so tight, I couldn't stick them in there if I tried?).
    I got all the nest, the larva started, rolling out, so I sucked them up also.
    Couple of straglers but got-em too, later.
    Me one, them 0 for now.

12. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

don't put anything flammable on your house !!!!!

use a hornet spray..it has an acid in it that eats into the bugs instantly.

you may have to spray a few times..yes wait until after dark but they aren't asleep so have a get away.

we have a nest we sprayed last week that is active again..and my son's cat got trapped on the roof of our garage and they were attacking her this morning..i had to rescue her and she was not a happy little girl

13. snoozy

I'm not going to use gasoline on my house, of course. That'd be nuts!

The NAPA starter fluid spray had been recommended by somebody on this forum and it worked fine on the paper wasps nest, as I said. But I don't know how big or deep these guys have burrowed into the straw.

I live in a strawbale house and where they are is in the open straw over the door in the Truth Window. A Truth Window is a patch of wall that we leave unstuccoed so that people can see that the house really is made of straw. I never got around to glassing it in, and I guess these yellowjackets think it is the bees knees of accommodation. First time this has happened in 11 years.

14. Annie

Annie Well-Known Member

Fishhead, was the bucket all the way full of water? And how close does it have to be to the nest?

I've got a humdinger of a nest at the base of a raised bed, with another access hole at the top of the bed. Problem is, found out I'm more allergic to their stings than bees and I'm a chicken to get too close to it. Besides, my old rosemary plant is in that bed and I don't want to use gasoline by it. Have I said I really hate yellowjackets!!! :)

15. oneokie

oneokie Well-Known Member

Starting Fluid is more flammable than gasoline. A spark of static electricity can ignite it. Can you say KaBoom!?

One of the flying insect sprays is much safer.

Maybe have a piece of glass or clear polycarbonate cut to fit the witness window and seal in place with caulking?

16. snoozy

Wow. That'd be like having a museum diorama of a toxic diasaster instead of a Truth Window. :baby04:

17. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

Automotive brake cleaner is awesome. Not all that flammable and evaporates to nothing quickly. Will drop them right out of the air.
    Night is the best when they are all there. Dont stand under the nest while on the attack.

Don't get any in your eyes or you will know exactly how they feel and it's not good for along time.

18. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

We wait until after the sun has gone down and it's cooled off, then we use the flying insect spray on the nest. We found ours at a buy one get one free sale at our local True Value Hardware store. Careful of your eyes though, I sprayed it during the day (had to wasps were busy making a nest right in my door jam) and was really close to getting some in my eyes, I flushed and flushed and it was fine but that stuff kind of goes everywhere when you spray it. Personally I wouldn't use flammable lighter fluid, gasoline or anything like that but my husband probably would :rolleyes:

19. VERN in IL

VERN in IL Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian

Starting fluid will not go "kaboom" it goes "whooof" and it is quite safe, unless your a moron and smoke.....:nono:

You can even use it to start wood fires, potato gun propellant, seat tires on rims, it is useful stuff.

20. oneokie

oneokie Well-Known Member

Was just a thought. Maybe you like having the yellow jackets at your front entrance for grins and giggles?

Am off to purchase stock in the companys that make the flying insect sprays.