Do they not make sheep dip anymore?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Wingdo, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a few coyotes decide to infiltrate the hen house about a month ago and my great Pyrenees eliminated one. However, she contracted a bit of mange. I'm assuming from the effort, and I cannot find sheep dip anywhere. What are you "experts" using these days?
    I've raised working dogs all my life, and yes I'm old, but this is the first time in 50 years I've seen a case on any of my dogs.

2. Breezy833

Breezy833 Well-Known Member

Our dog had it from birth pretty much. He was prescribed ivermectin.

3. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

A dog with mange from birth likely has demodectic mange, which is somewhat of a genetic predisposition. Scarcopotic mange is the communicable kind, and ivermectin is way better than sheep dip. After the screwworm eradication program in the fifties sheep dip became much less commonly used.

Breezy833 likes this.
  4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Ivermectin, but also give him vitamin C supplement as a booster. Thompson’s makes a buffered powder. You just put a half teaspoon on his food. They seem to like it.

5. oregon woodsmok

oregon woodsmok Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't sheep dip a dog. Give the dog a dose of ivermectin (as long as the dog is not any sort of collie)

6. Rectifier

Rectifier Well-Known Member

Ivermectin, also permethrin pour ons/dusting powders may work for you.

7. mustangglp

mustangglp Well-Known Member

Mange is caused by mites we have been having lots of cases of it a few months back a fox was stalking my lambs in broad daylight light it was all most completely bald and it flesh was rotten.
    I haven't seen any Sheep dip since the late 80s.

8. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

That's about the last time I saw a case of mange on any of our dogs... they too were infected by a fox as they killed it and were doing the old tug o war thing with the carcass. I used sheep dip all my life on our working dogs, coon-hounds, beagles, English pointer/setters.

If I'm getting this straight, they are saying use Ivermectin orally but in what dosage? I keep this on hand anyway for my goats so we'll give it a shot.

9. stockdogcompany

stockdogcompany Well-Known Member