Do deer eat tomato plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dragonchick, Aug 28, 2010.

1. dragonchick

dragonchick Well-Known Member

Something is eating the tops off my tomato plants, is it deer?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Yes, deer do indeed eat the tops of tomato plants. They'll also do it to peppers. So far, haven't seen them do it to eggplant.

Martin

3. dragonchick

dragonchick Well-Known Member

Will fox urine or other deterrent keep them away? At this rate I will not get anything from my fall garden.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If you have fox urine available, apply a light mist of it to the top foliage. If you don't have it, use your own. Either way, the deer won't eat it. Or, mix a garlic and hot pepper spray and mist with that.

Martin

5. mothernature

mothernature Well-Known Member

My local deer think I grow veggies just for them!! They even come up on my front porch to eat whatever I might have growing in pots. They are lucky I like to share!!

6. chicky momma

chicky momma Well-Known Member

deer at my house have eaten everything except garlic. Even onions, leeks, potato tops and tomatoes. I think they go after the potato and tomato tops when it is dry and they are looking for moisture. Lisa

7. happydog

happydog Well-Known Member

Around here deer have been known to eat tomato and pepper plants, and after eating potato plants they've even been known to dig up potatoes to eat.

www.deerbusters.com

8. rean

rean Well-Known Member

This topic made me think of my dad's cherry tomato plants. He fought a constant battle with the deer. He lived in the country. When I was pregnant with my first child I got such an intense craving for cherry tomatoes. This was about 2 am. I grabbed my salt shaker and drove out to his place and proceeded to eat all the ripe tomatoes off of his plants. I never told him I was guilty, and to his dying day he cussed those deer. lol!

9. jmtinmi

jmtinmi Well-Known Member Supporter

Gallon of water in a sprayer. Add 1T garlic powder, 1T hot sauce, 1t of dish soap. Shake a little and spray. Keeps deer and rabbits off of my beans.

I also heard that baby powder does the same thing.

10. am1too

am1too Well-Known Member

My pooch is the best thing I have found besides male urine. Deer do not like dogs. And dogs think deer are great to chase.