Difference between wild plum and pin cherry?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by Vera, May 11, 2007.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out which is which... there are two different smallish trees growing in my neighborhood, they're almost identical except for the bark and the scent of the blossoms. One has roughish gray bark and very fragrant blossoms (think jasmine), the other has smooth dark red bark and no scent. Going by the growing conditions, location, blossoms, leaves, etc., I've narrowed it down to pin cherry and wild plum, but even after scrutinizing a ton of Google pictures, I can't tell which is which! Help, please?

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

The plum is the one with the fragrent scented blossoms compared to the unscented blossoms of chokecherries.

pic below is plum blossoms. These have just popped in the last couple days, about a week after the chokecherry blossomed. The flowers are smaller than those of the chokecherry and have a wonderful subtle frangrence:

[​IMG]

chokecherry blossoms below, and are not scented like the plum blossoms in picture above:

[​IMG]

ETA:
    I'm not sure about the difference in blossoms of pin cherry compared to chokecherry, but to differentiate them when the fruit appears..... Pin cherry produce fruit in clusters, with stems arising from the same point, whereas chokecherry bear fruit on a central axis

4. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

The wild plums here have grey bark and the cherries choke and black are red barked.

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Great!! Now I know :) Thanks bunches, guys!