DAWN dish soap detergent, it cuts the grease out of your way!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oldcountryboy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Oldcountryboy

Oldcountryboy Well-Known Member Supporter

On another thread I mentioned this. Fill up a spray bottle with water and add about a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap detergent. You now have a lethal bug killer. I use it to kill ants, house fly's, slugs, gnats, waspers, stink bugs, blister beetles, horn worms, and a few other types of bugs.

Why it works is cause the dish detergent removes the protective oily film on bugs and either drowns them or leaves them susceptible (spelling!) to diseases that will kill them. Also, very safe to use in your home, your yard, and your garden. It doesn't keep bugs away but kills what you see.

2. Kmac15

Kmac15 This is my life

Be forewarned it also kills honey bees, so know where you are spraying it.

3. ||Downhome||

||Downhome|| Born in the wrong Century

OC, I do the same with ant hills.

the reason it works is it breaks the surface tension of the water, so instead of beading up and rolling off it evelopes the insect drowning the pest.

4. samm

samm Well-Known Member

409 will do the same...its a killer for bugs

samm

5. Just Little Me

Just Little Me Well-Known Member Supporter

Groomers use it to kill fleas on dogs too. Leave it on 3 mins and the pet is flea free.

6. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member Supporter

Portsmouth , Va ( Formerly Tax-A-Chusettes )
    I have used it for a long time to clean my hands of grease instead of go-jo type cleaners that leaves you smelling like degreaser or paint thinner .
    I left a bottle in the common bathroom at my rented shop , went back a few days later , and the landlord had bought a half gallon of dawn instead of the usual professional hand cleaner he has had for years.

7. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

Heat up some vinegar, cup or so, in your microwave. Add same amount of Dawn. Let cool, then use. Makes a great bathroom soap scum remover. I had to clean a shower in a rental that was just gross. It did a great job. If it's extra scummy, smear some on and let it sit for a while, or even overnight. Great stuff!

8. MOgal

MOgal Well-Known Member Supporter

Does it work on squash bugs and cucumber beetles without killing the plants? Want to guess why I'm asking?

9. TxMex

TxMex Lady beekeeper Supporter

I add a bit of oil to my soap and water mixture. If you spray it at flying insects they drop like a stone.

I second the recommendation on using dawn on dogs for fleas. It's what I used in my grooming shop on especially grungy dogs and when they were over-run with fleas. Dilute it 4 to 1. Wait until your Dawn is getting low and then just write 'dog' on the side of the bottle, fill it with water and you're good to go. Be careful not to get it in the eyes of course.

10. Oldcountryboy

Mogal, yes it does work on cucumber beetles and squash bugs. It didn't hurt my plants any, nor any fruit trees when spraying for Japenese beetles and I bet your asking cause you got a problem, like I did.

TxMex, your right, it does a number on those fleas also.

The only problem of using dish soap is that it doesn't repel the bugs, it just kills what bugs you spray directly on too. Therefore if you got ants coming in your house somewhere or beetles coming to your garden, after you spray you will still have new ones coming.

11. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Reckon how much you would use in a gallon??

12. Oldcountryboy

Well I mix in about 1 tablespoon for each quart bottle I mix up. So that would equal about 4 tablespoons per gallon of water.

13. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

I just squirt a little in and mix it up. Too much trouble to find something to measure it. I am pretty sure it doesn't have to be so accurate.