Daily Journal October 2014(everyone Welcome to Post)

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Grandmotherbear, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Would some nice Moderator please sticky this?? Everyone is your honor not to post till 12:01 AM October 1st. I'm doing this now as I am doing a 3 hour 1 way ridealong w/GFB tomorrow and leaving before 6 am!

2. Grandmotherbear

Inter-netting from BAM! in Vero. :coffee: Woke up with a HORRIBLE right sided backache. I have not done anything or lifted anything bigger than a small loofah in 48 hours! Guess the good Lord doesn't want me working too hard. I did go by Home Depot but let the helpful staff lift the garden soil and the manure. Also went thru Walmart and got yellow hominy and beef crumbles- long shelf life - good when we're still in hurricane season, and also for shipping to DS on his deployment. It never occurred to me that the military wouldn't feed the armed forces when they are on a mission. I always thought they'de at least give them a granola bar but DS finally told me before his 3rd deployment about going hungry during missions and not even having vending machines if they get back after messhall hours. So am sending things like tinned teriyaki tilapia and teriyaki rice heat n eats- all he has to do is rip n eat. Heating is for sissies, I found out during the 2004 hurricanes. Have to email DS and ask him if he wants a scrubba bag (www.thescrubba.com) I sent him a washboard in his first deployment and his squad used it nightly for 2 weeks- then they suddenly got washing machines installed. I like to think the men using the washboard :flameproofundies:were part of the reason they only had to wait two weeks instead of 2 months like some others- for their washers.
    GFB working Vero today and Fort Myers tomorrow and I am thinking about stopping by ECHO (www.echonet.org) to look at the nursery and bookstore.:kung: He is gradually phasing coffee back into his diet- no more than 2 cups a day. Prior to the hospitalization he often drank 8-10 cups a day :eek:
    Hump day! What's happening to YOU!??

3. Chief Cook

Chief Cook Well-Known Member

IT'S OCTOBER!!!!! I just love this time of year! Everything is winding down, even though I didn't get to do much this year. The temps. are cooler and I got the AC unit out of the window. I just hate that it blocks off so much light in the livingroom. I did manage to get three quarts of tomatoes in bags in the freezer!! I felt so, so homesteady.:happy: Honestly, I can't believe we got enough tomatoes off these poor plants to put any up. They were hammered by the big hail storm and when they came back out, the fruits are kind of weird. Oh well, they do taste good and will be sooo welcome in stews this winter! Got to get a move on. I'll check in later!

4. Grandmotherbear

:kung: Inter- netting from Starbucks in Fort Myers. Big brushfire along SR80. Don't see how that could burn- we are so wet here! Yesterday I bought broccoli plants, ichiban eggplant, mint and sunflowers for transplantation. Received my order from Banana-tree.com- including Edible Nuts of The World by Edward Menninger. Their price for that was only $5- he writes very engagingly and humorously. I need to educate myself on nuts for the homestead- anybody else noticed how the California drought has affected nut prices?
    Did a little clipping of weeds after early dinner and the skeeters feasted! Nonetheless GFB says he can tell it's fall by the lessened humidity and the sound of the wind. Summer wind is different from winter winds, I guess. I can tell by sunlight intensity. Even thru SPF100 sunscreen you can feel burning when the UV index is 10-12. When it gets down to 8 or lower the sunshine is comfortable. This past weekend was the first day I didn't get heatsick working outdoors.
    I hope to see autumn colors when I go to SC next weekend.:D How's everyone else doing?

5. mzgarden

mzgarden Well-Known Member

We are in post-surgery monitoring for one of our dairy doelings -- doing fine so far. And Yep, it's October - the leaves are turning, the chickens are in full molt :yuck:, the pigs are in their last weeks prior to processing and are feasting on Fall apples. Annual Fall bonfire party for church folks will be here Saturday. It's cool and sunshiney - yep, a great time of the year here.

6. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

It is FINALLY Oct!! I think it is my favorite month. Thur, got up at noon, after working nights. Mowed the back yard and did small task. Fri morning, put the metal covering on one of the firewood racks. Next, put the new controls on the wife's kiln. Took the RV on its 20 mile run as I do when we have not used it. Made my table saw jig for cutting tenons on logs, as I am going to make a log crib for my youngest daughters baby on the way. Decided to crank the tractor, after putting on the new alternator. Nothing!! When I hooked the charger up to battery, it showed like it was dead. Heck, I had just charged it last week. Anyway, put it on charge and while it was charging, I took the starter off the tractor, took it apart to check the brushes. I tested and it worked fine, so I put it back on. It was late by then, and I was greased up. I put the underside clutch cover back on the tractor. It appears, the oil leak is coming from the gasket between the main tractor parts. I would have to split the tractor to fix, and I am not going to do that now. I am at work this morning and tomorrow morning. It has been too busy here this morning. If they continue to expect me to work, then they should supply the DONUTS!!!

7. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

GMB - I'm glad it's wet where you are - hopefully that fire won't spread!
    I can't drink as much coffee as GFB was drinking, but I ended up in the ER a few months back due to drinking an energy drink everyday. It's amazing what caffeine can do to a person's body!

Travis - Sorry to hear the tractor is still giving you fits. I hope you post a picture of that crib, when you finish it, sounds awesome!!

Yay!!! I'm glad it's October too!!
    It stormed last night and we ended up with nearly 2" of rain at our house. I'm always thankful, I do not want our well going dry. It's been a little dry lately and getting too warm again.
    It was humid yesterday and hit 90, but it's back down to the low 80s today and supposed to cool off to the 70s tomorrow. I'll be glad when it stays cool.

Less sunlight here and some of the trees are starting to turn. By the end of the month we should be in full Autumn colors.

Tuesday night I went to grandparents night at DGD's school. (sorry if I'm repeating myself, can't remember if I posted this or not). She made a journal telling about things she does with us and the kids had potted up African violets in dixie cups. So cute!! They were having a Book Fair - very clever on the school's part, since grandparents tend to have more disposable income and will buy more stuff for the kids!
    I was no exception - I bought her a book and a bracelet crafting kit. They had a table of books the Teachers put on a wish list, so I let her pick one out for her Teacher's classroom. She was so thrilled.
    I'm such a sucker when it comes to my grandkids. All they have to do is smile and give me a hug and I'm a puddle!
    It was fun meeting her Teacher and seeing her new classroom, thankfully she's having a good year and loves school.

Today DD is coming to have lunch with me and turning in paperwork here at the University, so she can get enrolled in the Spring Semester.

Tomorrow our Team is having a project work day, so we'll have everything in order when our new Director comes on board. Administration said they are planning on that being November 1st. I hope it's soon and we can get that part over with before the holidays. I hate being in limbo.

Have a great day, everyone!!!

8. Travis in Louisiana

OUVickie, The wife and I do the grandparents thing also and they also have a book fair going on, at the same time!!!

9. Travis in Louisiana

Today is Friday for me. I will be back Tues night. Got a busy weekend. The middle daughter is getting married, 2nd time. We got some family flying in today, the wife is picking up. I will get the tractor started and I will start on the log crib. That;s my story and I am sticking to it!!! The wedding is very small. Her second go around, but this guy is not a JERK!! Time for lunch, then COFFEE!!

10. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I could use your prayers, over a week of terrible IBS. The pain has worn me down to nothing. I know it'll ease up some day, but it's awful rough right now. Any prayers for my daughter too, the Lyme disease is still not dying off all the way......

Jan in CO and brendafawn like this.
  11. Travis in Louisiana

Hang in there HOMESTEADER!! It is FRIDAY!!

Jan in CO, OUVickie and brendafawn like this.
  12. Grandmotherbear

Water rose another inch in the lake - slipped and fell on the algae growing on the stair risers. Fortunately I fell FORWARD and the lake was deep enough to cushion. I was collecting gallons of lake water to water transplants. Had to empty 0ne of the child pools of water and boggy soil to move it to an area that will get sun during the winter. Yesterday at ECHO I got a Haitian Basket Vine shrub and needed to get it transplanted to day. I also asked one of the agriculturists about my pigeon peas not fruiting and he asked if I had been fertilizing them. Umm, no legumes get too much N they don't fruit...He gave me the This is Florida you need to fertilize because we have nothing but sugar sand that doesn't hold nutrients speech I have given so many others...:facepalm: I know this why do I keep getting tripped up? Used some of the ash from the burn pile to amend a pot I transplanted a Japanese eggplant in, and weeded a space around the corner of the pigeon pea raised bed. Yesterday burnt documentation going back to 2006 (June) Also last night went to Beef OBradys, didn't realize it was Jeopardy night. GFB and I came in about halfway between the winner and the lowest scorer. I love being married to an historian. "How long did the Hundred Years War last?" GFB goes - It started in 1377 when the English King asserted his claim to the throne of France, and technically didn't end for about 420 years till George 3rd of England released his claim, as King of England, to the French Throne. Along the way, Edward 4th revived it as a method of fundraising- he would levy an army and go camp in France to "assert his right to the French throne"- start a siege of a prosperous town and bottle up commerce until the French king would pay him to go away. It was all very civilized- no fighting, although the troops were still prone to disease- and unlike most wars it was very Profitable to Edward....meanwhile the announcer has moved on 3 or 4 more questions.
    I did laundry and GFB hung it out. He spent most of his day in chart reviews. Brought it in before the nap and the usual rain just woke us up. Hoping our manga order arrives today.

13. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Homesteader I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers.

14. Classof66

Classof66 Well-Known Member

Oh homesteader, I am sorry to hear that. I will certainly keep you and your daughter in my prayers. Speedy recovery!!

Travis in Louisiana likes this.
  15. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

Just stopping by to say Hi and Bye at the same time! Had a wonderful time camping in the mts of CO. Got lots of rest, up with the sun and went to bed right after dark. No phones, no electricity, just the gorgeous scenery. I soaked up as much of it as I could. Sadly, Bill and his nephew did not get any elk. No one was getting any but they had a great time hunting together.

Been on the go ever since we got back, a week or so ago. Got the insulation put in and can already tell the difference! They guarantee 25% savings off your electric bill. Will keep track. Got a/c fixed and found part of the leak, however, we will be getting a new company to take over the warranty. The owner died right before we went to CO and his dad is selling the company.

Finally got to a volleyball game for my oldest granddaughter last night. Missed all of them being in CO. 7th grade plays first, then the 8th. After the 7th grade played, here came my post office lady. (Her granddaughter is in 7th grade on the opposing team). She needs a baby quilt but knew I was headed out of town again. Then when I was in town today dropping off the notice to hold our mail the other lady in the post office asks if SC had got a hold of me. Love our small towns around here!

We are headed out in the morning for Florida, but will be stopping in southern IL, Biloxi, MS, and Grand Bay, AL to see friends we have not seen in years. We used to live in Biloxi and know that things have changed especially since Katrina hit. We know the home we lived in did not survive, and several other friends lost their homes, too. Looking forward to the trip but will be glad when the traveling is all done. Ready to stay home. Will have an art show to do just 10 days after we get back. Will be showing my woven shawls for the first time. Had wanted to get a pine needle basket done, too, but just no time.

See you in another couple of weeks.

16. OUVickie

Homesteader - I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad! Prayers for you both. I hope you're feeling better today.

GMB - Wow! GFB is a fount of knowledge - how interesting.

Have fun, Billie - we'll be waiting to hear about your adventures.

Our Team workshop yesterday was very productive. We have about 50 projects in the works between the 6 of us left on the Team. I hope the new Director can hit the ground running.
    The interviews for the 3 Director candidates are next week. It should be an interesting week.

I picked up BBQ for our Team lunch and brought home the leftovers for dinner. DH didn't eat any last night, so everything is in the fridge and ready for dinner tonight. I'm not cooking until I have to.

I had planned on having a quiet weekend at home. However, there is a Gourd Dance at the Native American Methodist Church today and the Jacobson House is sponsoring it. I'm on the Board so I guess they are expecting me to come and help out. I'm tired and now I'm wishing I'd never gotten back on the Board. It seems there is something they expect us to do every weekend. I've limited my participation, so far, but I feel I need to go and help out for a while this evening.
    Working full-time, helping my daughter with the kids every other weekend and trying to keep up with my own house is a full-time job. I can't seem to garner much energy for alot of other activities on the weekend. That bowling party with DH's employees last weekend wore me out. I can't seem to keep up. :rolleyes:
    I feel old!! LOL!!

Well, I best get busy and clean up the kitchen, before I leave for Church.

Have a wonderful Saturday, everyone!!

17. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Homesteader I hope you are feeling better today.But I know from experience it takes time.Still praying!

18. Travis in Louisiana

Well, just got home from the wedding. All is well. Ate too much. I have one of my granddaughters with me tonight at home, while the rest of the family is partying. I also have 4 dogs to baby sit also, so it is interesting. I have to get a new battery for the tractor, it will not hold a charge at all. It finally cooled off here in Louisiana. The party bunch should show up tomorrow around noon. My granddaughter wants to stay up till eleven tonight. I bet those eyes will be heavy before then. My are heavy now!!

Jan in CO, OUVickie and brendafawn like this.
  19. OUVickie

Congratulations, Travis, to you and your family!

Well, after being a whiner I ended up having a great time at the Gourd Dance. LOL!
    I got to spend time with my friends and listen to the good drum singing. One of our Board Members is a veteran and they had a special dance for him. He received an eagle feather for his service in Iraq. It was awesome to see. I think my problem with going in to town on weekends for events is just dreading the long drive (about 40-45 minutes). However, I always end up having a good time, so I need to remember that.
    I bought tickets to some of the raffles and ended up winning a beautiful mug, a cute Halloween basket and kitchen towel and gun lock. We laughed about the gun lock - it's hilarious what people donate for the raffles sometimes, but I actually have a hand-gun, so I can use the lock.

I decided to fix 15 bean soup with chicken today, so I soaked the beans overnight and chopped the veggies after breakfast this morning. I got it started before noon and there's enough there for 3 meals, so I'm set for the first half of the week.

Well, time to feed the critters. Have wonderful Sunday, everyone!!

20. Grandmotherbear

Yesterday I clipped and pulled a LOT of weeds- and transplanted the 9 broccoli and an eggplant as well as seeding some turnips and some Hamburg parsley (root parsley) from 2009. We drove back to the city. I have bee
    n able to do a little bit of cooking, and the work this past weekend didn't leave me heatsick. Trying to prepare for my trip to SC at the end of the week. Also while purging my work files found a 2004 ad from American Stirling Company for the portable cooler/freezer we had that gave up the ghost after the Boston trip and I emailed them to ask for assistance finding a repair facility. The CS rep who emailed me back suggested I contact the company president and I scanned a copy of the ad as an attachment. I had tried years back to work thru Coleman (also sold Stirling cooler/freezers)and got nowhere on that, and tried searching the web for some of the companies listed on some of the packaging and found one website in Japanese pictographs. So that went nowhere.
    Have to put together another box to send to DS and this afternoon do some hand clipping of the shoulder- to head- high weeds in the back yard surrounding my garden pots.