Daily Journal June 2014(Everyone Welcome to Post)

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Grandmotherbear, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Will one of you nice moderators pls sticky this??

Faithfirst- City place SE FL coast, Lake place S Central FL. In 2004 our Lake Place was hit by Charlie, Frances and Jeanne.

2. Chief Cook

Chief Cook Well-Known Member

Holy Cow! It's June!!! Man o man is this year flying by. Hope everyone is starting this month with lots of energy and feeling great. We had a good time at church with the Safety and Security Team lunch. They finally gave up some training, which was good. Even if they told us we could no longer body slam intruders. :bored: Oh well at least I still get to take our dog with us on evenings.
    I got my garden watered this evening and then headed in to relax. Seems I just can't relax anymore without my H.T. fix! Everyone stay busy, you all keep my spirits up! Thanks!

3. KIT.S

KIT.S Well-Known Member Supporter

I swear, I'm going to quit lurking and post this month, even if it's just because I am so thrilled with our progress.

We have 5 acres with about 1 acre not accessible to the munching-machine sheep. And it GREW. "We" are my 91yo blind mom, my 39 yo daughter and my 60 yo self. DD and I work full time or more, and it rained and warmed up in the right amounts to grow waist-high grass. We found two wonderful yard slaves who came and used the walk-behind weed whip and cut the too-tall grass in the "front" yard and around the raised beds, put in a duck fence so they have their own area, fixed a support on the big 4x8 rabbit pen, and filled 5 new raised beds including one that is 24' x 5' x 3' deep. I got the asparagus planted in the back of the big bed. I'm so pleased. And the tomatoes, peppers and much of the rest of the garden. Mom is bored so she gets 2 5x3 foot raised beds out front that she can get her walker to, and she's chosen flowers around the outside edge with colorful swiss chard and purple-flowering beans in the middle. Another day and she'll have those all planted too.

I sold all the baby turkeys we had (there were 40 in the house at one point!) and am waiting impatiently for more to hatch to fill new orders.

Unfortunately, one yard slave has gone on to bigger and more profitable things: he got a bank loan officer job, but maybe he'll be bored and come back on a weekend. He's vegan and I raise all our own meat, so it has been quite a challenge to cook appropriate meals for when he's at the house, but he's been very complimentary, so I guess it all worked out.

Anyway, once I get over the horrible hay fever from all that dust and pollen in the long grass, it'll be even nicer.

Happy June people!
    Kit

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Yay, Kit! Sounds like you're making good progress, even while working more than full time jobs! How you do it, I don't know. I don't seem to get much done now that I'm past the big 60 mark! Just going to the city to run errands or do a little shopping takes half the day here.
    What type of turkeys are you raising? Do you have hens and a tom and are you incubating the eggs or having the hen hatch them?

Tell us more!

5. Grandmotherbear

Back to the city yesterday. GFB was having a runny nose and it just kept getting worse. Aches n pains, barking cough, sore throat, wheezing...he hates being sick (possibly because I think his mom was Munchhausen's syndrome by proxy, and he was the proxy) I had some difficulty falling asleep last night and observed how restless he was. He wasn't awake, but wasn't getting any rest, either.
    Nevertheless, he wouldn't call out so I rode with him 66 miles to work, and while he was working I went to Walmart to do more shopping for DC trip with dgs next month and get him some more stuff for his dorm room. I got us cheap throws and travel pillows for the Amtrak and to supplement the hostel, and an actual set of cotton jammies for me. Been years since I wore jammies, I usually sleep in xtra long T shirts and boxer briefs, but I think the co ed dorm would rather not see me in that- specially since my xtra long T shirt is practically see thru at 28 years of age. But its nice and soft at home!
    GFB was really poorly after court, and I got to experience being him for a day..I drove us home, convinced him we both needed a nap- sometimes he'll do something if I'm doing it too, but not just for him, I did the grocery shopping, two days worth of dishes, made garlicky chicken n dumpling soup for dinner, and am finishing the 3rd load of laundry. I know he's in bad shape because he went back to bed and stayed there. He's all dosed up with benedryl, aspirin, cold-eze, +elderberry, and I think I need to show my appreciation more for everything he does around here which leaves me free to play in the garden.
    I emailed my work buddies I want to stay in touch with and now need to figure out who to turn in my work computers to.
    Everybody stay healthy now!

6. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Got blessed with wonderful rain tonight.So glad we didn't have to water everything.Got a lot done outside with the help of the grandchildren. Since they are here all day I told them there will be 3 no electronics days a week all summer long.Their eyes got big ,since they rather play on those ipod things than help outside :).ha ha but it's good for them.So hopefully a lot will get done each week, between hopping in the pool and doing lots of reading which they all love.

7. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

It has been a WET weekend for me. I really don't need anymore rain. I mowed some grass in between rain, cut more logs with chainsaw mill, worked on lawnmower, and worked to get the RV ready for a road trip. Sunday father-in-law came home from the hospital. I had to run and get him some medicine after he got home. The wife had stayed the night with him and brought him home. Nothing much got done due to the RAIN!! The only thing the rain is good for is the Blueberry bushes. They are loaded. I am at work this morning and tomorrow. I think I need more coffee!

Jan in CO, OUVickie and Chief Cook like this.
  8. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member Supporter

Last night I harvested my row of spinach and got a 5 gallon bucket full. Got it washed last night. This morning I blanched and froze it. Got quite a few 1 cup packages that we use in smoothies in the winter. I will plant some more in the fall.

9. KIT.S

KIT.S Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you, Jan in CO. I have 4 Royal Palm hens and 1 Bourbon Red tom turkeys. Those are the types that were left after the dog incident last year, so we don't have purebred anything. However, the chicks are growing well. I take their eggs and incubate them, both because I don't trust them to do well, and because they keep laying and give me more eggs that way. I have 2 large home-made electronic incubators, so plenty of room. So far, the ladies have laid about 150 eggs. I'm keeping track of how many are laid, how many hatch, etc, but that info is at home. There are still about 60 in the incubator and they're still laying.

Tonight I'm canning the last 2 roosters and moving the water around the beds again. No rain in the forecast - looks like a warm, dry summer for us. My son is coming next weekend, I hope, to help set up the irrigation plumbing so we can use the creek with a larger volume instead of the house/well water from a hose.

Kit

10. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

It has been a mixed bag of things the past few days. Went to turn our a/c on on Thurs and it did nothing but blow out hot air. It has a new compressor they put in a few months ago when the heater went out. What now?? Had the grandkids Friday and repair guy tried to make it but called a little after 5pm and said they couldn't get there. Kids didn't mind, we had the ceiling fans going and the baby just ran around in her diaper.

Repair guy gets there on Sat afternoon and was here for 3 1/2 hours. Cooling when we left to go to granddaughter's ballgame. Got home 3 hours later and opened the door and knew it wasn't fixed, blowing hot air again. E-mailed them and said we'd be gone all day Sun and could they fit us in on Monday?

Sunday oldest granddaughter had a 4H horse show starting at 9am but we had church and didn't get there until 2pm. She did great!!! So proud of her, she has really improved from last year. Took second in almost everything, a couple of third's and finally a 1st place!!! Got quite a shock when we pulled in and I saw my ex sitting in the stands. He never comes to anything the grandkids are in, not even birthdays. Seems he and his wife are separated for the moment and he is living/working here and she is at their home in Sunrise Beach (@4hrs away). Not sure if it permanent or what but guess I will be seeing him at the kids ball games and such now. Sure wish I had had a heads up and not be surprised. We get along fine with the ex and his parents and his siblings but if his wife moves here things will get tense. Being polite here, but she is crazy. I won't put up with her nonsense but she has sandbagged me several times in some situations where it was best not to confront her in front of everyone. And several people have taken out restraining orders against her. Sigh.......

Monday the repair guy got here and so far so good, it is still cooling. Looks like when the other guy put in the new compressor he overcharged the freon and it kept shutting the switch down. Hope that's it for awhile.

So with all that and having to stay here waiting for the repair guy, I have gotten 4 Christmas presents started, have 3 more quilted grocery bags ready to finish, finished the last 2 summer dresses (makes a total of 6 done), and made 2 curtains (one for my sewing room's west window and one for the little south window near our thermostat). Also finished another shawl on my triangle loom. Cleaned out my clothes closet and have 2 bags of clothes ready to get rid of. Have several boxes of other junk in the garage ready to go to the thrift store, too. Just need to load it up.

Went to the commissary today and that was painful writing that check!! Big increases in prices.

Hot and humid today, expecting some T-storms later on today. We need the rain just not the bad stuff.

11. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Early this morning around one, our little Bible Study group was shocked to learn that one of our members who had been scheduled for a surgical procedure to remove an AVM, did not make it through the surgery. It just plain sucks! She was only 40 years old! My heart breaks for her husband and sons. They are adults, but they are in their early twenties! They still needed their mom!

anahatalotus and FaithFirst like this.
  12. Travis in Louisiana

13. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Oh Michelle I'm sorry too.....that's awful.

Busy time here as usual! Had a slight stomach bug that had me down for a day but I've sure had worse.

The BBQ was fun on Saturday. Good food, although not many people were there.

Been watering watering watering. Seems like that's all I do sometimes! But so worth it.

Final count on the peaches - we ate quite a few and all totaled I got 8 batches of jam(s) worth. I had so much that last and final picking I just blanched, peeled and put up enough for one batch of jam in each baggie and froze them (five). Now I can make jam at my leisure.

I picked a pretty red and white bouquet of roses, lilies, red yarrow and white yarrow and made a pretty card for our neighbor. Her fav color is red. Also made a matching bookmark for her.

Conversation the other day: Me (to DH): Well, I don't need to make any breakfast for myself today."
    DH: "Why not?"
    Me: "Because this morning was the first morning I didn't have fodder to bring to the chickens. I got 8 chicken fingers."

:)

:) Please mods don't ban me!

Today is supposed to be go to town day, but my tummy is saying no, sorry, so far anyway. If I take all three meds I can't drive. I'm about to take the second, and then we'll see how it goes (no pun intended)..........ack I'm am just full of the jokes today.......:happy:

Oh, someone asked me (GMB?) about the Insuk Wang Kong bean. I have never grown it. It was a random choice on my part when I got the free seeds from Martin, and so it's a new plant to me. Well, almost all the beans I have growing this year are new to me! KY Wonder Pole, green bush, yellow wax and purple pole I think are the only ones that I have grown before. The rest are new. I look forward to tasting them! I have no idea if the Wang Kong will be ok, but I can grow Hyacinth bean, scarlett runner, firecracker vine too, they just don't get as huge and massive and bushy like they do in less hot areas. But big enough to be worth growing. Same with morning glories.

My orange "tree" doesn't like to be outside. Even if I don't put it in the direct sun, it just really doesn't look good. Once I bring it back inside, it perks right up. I would have thought it would need to be outside and get sun???

Hope GFB is doing better, and all the rest of you too that are having troubles. Good to see new folks here, or, new to this thread!

Ok, I'm off for the day, have a great one!!!!!!

14. Travis in Louisiana

Work has been busy all day!! I will be off work the next two days and come to work Sat night. Not much else going on, but I should have plenty by my return to work.

Jan in CO, OUVickie and Chief Cook like this.
  15. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry! It's always a shock when someone dies like that.

Busy, busy here at work. I'm trying to stay focused. I will be doing a lot of training for my work position in the next 6 months, it's exciting but a bit overwhelming, so I'm trying to take baby steps and stay on track.

I've had a good amount of energy today. I'm hoping that lasts through the evening. I need to get laundry and kitchen cleanup done tonight.
    I intended to do that last evening, but I stopped at my neighbor's house to ask a question and ended up staying to chat and have a "quick" beer with him, which ended up turning into two beers and lots of chatter. LOL!
    An hour later I looked at the clock and realized I needed to get home. We are both talkers, especially when we haven't chatted in awhile and have alot to say!
    On the positive side, I slept very well last night. :teehee:

Have a great evening, everyone and get some rest, because you all sound like you're working too hard!!

16. Grandmotherbear

Grandfatherbear says he feels better, his voice is still deep and hoarse, and he is still little bit fatigued. I woke up with the runny nose, horrible fatigue, sore throat and cough. My turn to do cold-eze :yuck: elderberry and orange juice. I rode with him 127 miles to work this morning, and picked up some cow manure at Home Depot and some stuff at DollarTree-including 2 gallon storage bags while he was busy. I figure they are the right size for packing each day's outfit on the trip. On the drive to GFBs work we stopped at a highway rest area and while there gave some dry cat food to a halfgrown black kitty that had been abandoned there. I get so aggravated when I see these animals just dumped.:grumble:

GFB has to return tomorrow to the same place for work. I don't know if I'll be up to getting out of bed at 5 a.m. to ride with him :sleep: Need to weed around the pots here in the city and maybe plant a new batch of baby corn.

GFB couldn't really smell or taste with this thing but it seems to have sharpened my sense of smell, if such a thing is possible. Meaning I get weak stummicked when walking by the cat litter boxes.

Interesting fact. Now that I have notified the Hospice I won't be working, I have much less pain then formerly. One of my former coworkers, a real working fool who had given her whole life to working as a nurse, couldn't recover from her chronic pain/ walking troubles in the 3 months of FMLA (still in agony, still needed a walker) When I talked to her a few weeks after her enforced "retirement" she told me the pain had disappeared and she hadn't needed the walker since a week after leaving. Something wrong with a profession that disables so many practioners.

DS and family planning to come visit my mother July 2nd thru the 4th. I am planning to attend the ECHO Summer Vegetable Garden day June 14th.

17. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

Had a fun day with my grandsons today(instead of working them to death:)).older one and I went to VBS training this morning at church.Then went to goodwill Christmas shopping for the family,but it had to be only funny or ugly things to be used as gag gifts and could not be more than 99 cents each:).We decided besides all the nice things every body needed a a gag or white elephant gift also .He had more fun picking out all that stuff and kept exchanging things for funnier or uglier yet. We figured after Christmas they have to keep it at least 6 month and then can donate it again.So now I'll have to take the other 2 at different times to do their shopping.
    After that we went out for lunch ,his choice was Long John Silver,which tasted ok ,but did I get sick about an hour later:( So one more place I will not go back to.
    Afternoon youngest grandson and I worked on his 4H project ,wet felting.He loved that but kept saying my hands are tired:),but he got it done.
    Now tomorrow granddaughter will be doing her 4H felting project,hers will be more complicated.
    So with all that going on ,I cooked my Beef roast tonight and have it ready for our noon meal tomorrow.Plus filled the Dehydrator with herbs to get that out of the way.

18. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

While DH went to the city to run errangs, I stayed home in case of fire, as no way would my Mom be able to evacuate by herself with her limited eyesight. I canned a batch of pears, planted six more sweet potato slips I rooted in the house, and put wall o waters on them, minus the water, since they don't need protection from freezing. They aren't hardened off and rather than take the time to put them out and in several times to harden them off, I just put the wall o waters on with a wire tomato cage, use clothespins to pin the top mostly together with just a little opening so they don't get sunburned and they do fine. Do the same with my tomato plants. That way, I can use leakers that won't work for freeze protection, too.

Yesterday we got a countertop cut and put on the cabinets down stairs and DH put up some paneling strips at the top where we needed more coverage. I hope we can get that area useable soon so I can move the huge dehydrator over there.

Michele, sorry about the loss. You never know when your number is up, as my hubby says. You take a chance with every surgery, but when you need it, you need it. My prayers for her family, too.

I also put string up for my peas to climb on, and noted that a few are starting to blossom. Yay! Peas in a couple weeks. Wish I had more plants. Might have to put a few more seeds in. I did add more seeds to the bean row, but tonight saw birds walking down the row, so I suspect that was why I didn't get many from the first planting. Grrr. Have to cover with something like a net.

19. anahatalotus

anahatalotus Well-Known Member

Not too much going on today considering it is the last week of school for my kids. Lessons and reviews of lessons to prove she's learned something. It's difficult to make it fun for everyone when the required portfolio has to have so many workbook pages.
    Other than that not much is new, we noticed two tiny green tomatoes today. Yay. I'm hoping the intense heat won't fry them. I've started using white sheets to shade everything mid day.

20. anahatalotus

anahatalotus Well-Known Member

Oops Double post...

FaithFirst likes this.