Daily Journal July 2014(everyone welcome to post)

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Grandmotherbear, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Would one of you nice Moderators pls sticky this and unsticky June? Thanks.

Is everyone along the coastal Atlantic area prepared for a possible tropical storm? There was an 80% chance last night of strengthening in a tropical system with circulation that was centered off Melbourne, FL last night, and most models showed it heading up the Atlantic coast. There were severe thunderstorms along the southern area, possibility of flooding in Miami Dade, and a tornado watch in Manatee County.

We shut off the a/c and opened the Lake cabin up last night. For some reason the heat increased during the small hours of the morning, even GFB thought it had gotten too hot last night (in hot night circumstances I sponge off with alcohol every time I make a bathroom run) This morning however is nice and cool.

2. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Our weather is cooler now than it was in May!
    It's due to rain again tonight, but we may get some of the severe weather others have been getting.

I have bug bites all over my thighs and around some areas of my torso. I haven't been able to determine if it's fleas from my two inside fur-babies or if it might be chiggers. I wore capris and shorts over the weekend, while plant foraging and collecting sand plums from my thicket - so it could either.
    I think the wet weather has increased both the chigger and flea population. So, I've been slathering the areas with Lavendar oil at night and I put coconut & shea butter lotion on them this morning. It doesn't itch as long as I keep something healing on it and I certainly don't want the bites to get infected.
    I bought some more flea meds and plan to bathe the furbabies and put the flea stuff on either tonight or tomorrow night. When it gets bad like this I have to wash all the pillows and throws they lay on and vacuum the carpet and furniture on the same night I bathe and medicate them. It turns into a huge undertaking. They can be flea free and take one trip outside and bring them back in again. It feels like a never ending battle. :confused:

I did gather 2 sacks full of sand plums and I'm trading those to my cousin for squash this weekend at her BBQ.
    I've done nothing but run errands for the past two days during lunch, but at least I now have my new glasses and I've gotten some of the monthly shopping out of the way. It's nice to have a pair of comfortable glasses that I can see from a distance in. My old ones were so bad when I took my contacts out of an evening, I often couldn't see the TV across the room very well. So, it's wonderful to see well again.

Stay safe all of you out there in the midst of stormy weather!!

Jan in CO, Chief Cook and brendafawn like this.

3. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

GMB, Good idea to swab off with alcohol. Anything cools you if it evaporates, so I wipe down with a wet cloth and don't dry my arms and upper torso so I'm cool for a while.

Vickie, I remember those flea infestations when we lived in South Carolina. MISERABLE is the only way to describe them. We had some type of flea trap that had a sticky bottom and a light above. They were attracted to the light and when they hopped in, were stuck on the bottom. I couldn't believe how many there were! Sure don't miss that.

We also had cool weather for two days. High only in the 70's. Back to hot tomorrow. My chickens area really suffering, poor things.

Hope everyone stays safe and cool.

OUVickie, Chief Cook and brendafawn like this.
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I am thinking about taking the day off work tomorrow. I have alot of stuff to do in the garden and flowerbeds. the weeds are getting out of hand.
    my Raspberries are starting to ripen! woho! I want to expand the Raspberry patch. cant wait to have enough to make jelly!!!
    all my blueberry bushes look good this year, they just need to grow some more.
    looks like we may have rain on the 4th from the tropical storm in Florida. hate to miss the fireworks, although the plants need the water.
    I am ready for the canning season. hoping to start on canning green beans next week. might try making pickles this weekend.

OUVickie, Chief Cook and brendafawn like this.
  5. OUVickie

Yes, Jan, it is miserable! It is definitely fleas. :(
    One of the chihuahuas was laying next to me on the couch last night and I have more bites on that side this morning.
    It's a good thing I took tomorrow off work, because it looks like I'll be very busy treating them and the house. I'm just glad to have a four day weekend to get everything done.
    I had one of those flea traps at some point and it worked, so I'm going back to Home Depot today and get one for each room. I have some flea powder for the dogs, so I'm going to put some of that in my vacuum's dirt canister and sprinkle some inside the living room furniture too.

I'm glad work is not busy this week. I am so tired. I think I may have A-Fib. They told me last week at the ER that I have an irregular heartbeat and said they don't prescribe meds for that at the ER, so I need to have a Cardiologist check it out. I'm going to make an appt with my Primary, so he can get me into a Cardio Doc. It's not getting any better and I'm sick of being tired and having erratic palpitations.
    Geez, when you get middle-aged it's always something!

I decided I better get the oil changed in my car this week. It's needed a change for some time now and I'm taking DGS to camp in Missouri in a few weeks. It's time to get everything done before that and before I'm gone for two weeks in August.

Have a great day everyone!

Jan in CO, Chief Cook and brendafawn like this.
  6. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Well, today is the last of my 2-10pm days for the week, then it is on to my vacation! Looking forward to some great time at home and relaxation!

I'm in the mood for a pastry for breakfast. Might talk the man into a trip to the gas station for a danish. They are not too sweet not too bitter. So fabulous! Hoping for a nice fatty bite to eat at some point today. I should make this tuna thing mom was telling me about. Sounds great. Tuna, garlic, avacado, and lemon juice or lime and cilantro. I'm trying to talk myself into making it. Might use two cans of tuna, so I can have lunch at work as well.

Jan in CO, OUVickie and Chief Cook like this.
  7. Oma2three

Oma2three Well-Known Member

OUVickie,I feel for you .Wait til you are 69:) I always say another day another pain!I often wonder if people with no health problems appreciate it.
    I am so tired, too much heat and humidity and way too much work outside ,actually inside also since when I work outside nothing gets done inside.
    Our raspberries are are producing like crazy.Made 2 batches of jam and one of sauce for the freezer yesterday ,and now we picked a bunch more. Gooseberries are doing well also.

Jan in CO, OUVickie and Chief Cook like this.
  8. Jan in CO

Vickie, Good idea to have that checked out. I think once I passed 60, things on me that were already falling apart started to rust! Not fun getting old, for sure. My dear friend and I have that 'discussion' all the time, about what we are going to do when we are too decrepit to do things around our little farms!

Spent the afternoon putting up a dog pen for gd's two dogs, in case she still has them when she delivers the end of September. I'm sure she and her bf haven't given a thought to what they will do with the dogs for hours while she is in labor. Plus, if they have to come live with us, I'd rather have the pen ready than be put on the spot to do it at the last minute when I'm busy canning or something else.

I was trying to decide what to do with a mixed box of fruit, not enough to make juice, don't need any more jam, and thought I'd make some fruit cocktail. Won't be the same mix as the commercial variety, but ought to work. I put apricots in the dehydrator this morning after soaking in fruit fresh, so I hope that keeps them from darkening. I LOVE dried apricots.

OUVickie and Chief Cook like this.
  9. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

jan in Co let me know how your apricots turn out. I went to try and dry some also.

Chief Cook likes this.
  10. Chief Cook

Chief Cook Well-Known Member

OUVickie, hope you find a cardiologist that is on top of his game! And I really hope you feel much better very soon.
    Well, here it is July and I can't seem to get caught up! I spent Monday night at DF's house. He had to do his prep. for his colonoscopy and the upper GI. Poor thing, he really struggled to get it all down. He had to do the second half at 4:00 am! He took two glasses of that stuff and promptly threw it all up. It took awhile but he was finally able to finish the prep and we were 5 minutes early at the hospital! He came through it fine. Lots of polyps and a few other things, but he does have one polyp that the doctor could not remove and it is flat. We will find out the results of the biopsy in August. Please keep him in your prayers. We are trying not to worry, and of course praying for the best.
    Today was awful! I was sooo tired from yesterday. And I couldn't believe how sore I was. His guest bedroom bed is hard like you can't believe. It was like sleeping on a concrete floor! I hope that I feel better in the morning.
    I did get to pull weeds in the garden after we watered last night. And we set a trap for whatever is chewing on my squash! I did not catch a thing, and I still have no idea what is after my garden!
    I sure hope that everyone keeps safe this weekend.

OUVickie and brendafawn like this.
  11. brendafawn

brendafawn Well-Known Member

Well hello July, hope things are better this month.I should get my cast off of my ankle In a couple of weeks. Hope you get to feeling better Vicki, I also have a fib. Its not fun when you get short of breath. I take a medicine called flecaniade. It works very well for me. I didn't get to much planted on the garden with this broken ankle but plan on planting in July and August. One good thing about Texas you have an extended growing period. I manage to plant some tomatoes. And my dbil started some pepper plants and have me some. He just didn't know what he planted. Dh has been working on a barn and is coming along good on it. Found out the pond on our new place is well stocked so that is a blessing. Hope to keep a good stock of catfish. My rabbits have gotten big and don't have the heart to eat them, they are just so darn cute. So I'll sell them. My bottle calves are getting big. 10 months old. So will breed them. Everyone have a wonderful and safe 4th. We will be traveling to my husbands aunts. His cousin is home from Afghanistan so they are having a big dinner. The school has provided the kitchen and cafeteria for it. That was nice of them, a way of showing their appreciation. He will be retiring in eight months and coming home for good.

Jan in CO and OUVickie like this.
  12. Grandmotherbear

Arrived at my mothers Tuesday, visited, went to Po Folks for dinner, then she had a hard time with my request to sleep in the guest room instead of inflating the air mattress. I wanted to run the TV in that room (she has no TV in the living room where we'de be bunking after DS and family arrived) so as to keep an eye on Hurricane Arthur. My mother doesn't listen, answers your questions by saying No, don't do that- do this- and then tells you to do exactly what you asked if you could do- I know some of it is being hard of hearing and refusing to wear her hearing aids. I am trying to be very mellow - GFB is running a lot of interference for me- deflecting her attention from me- DS and family arrived yesterday and we went to Cheddars for dinner and they each brought home half their dinner to eat for breakfast- Portions are HUGE- The youngsters are off to Busch Gardens today and we're missing a cat- haven't seen roadkill since last night. GFB and I have searched the whole house (except for Mother's room- she swears RK couldn't have gotten in there) opening all the sofabeds, standing on stools in the closet to check the overhead shelves...I am going to hope that he will just turn up out of the blue in a few hours.
    We're going to the bookstore while DS and family is to Busch Gardens, specifically to look for books on financing college- their boy is a Jr this year. And I need a break from my mom.

Jan in CO, OUVickie and brendafawn like this.
  13. Oma2three

Grandmotherbear I hope your cat will show up.Hopefully he didn't get out when your son and family arrived.

14. Grandmotherbear

Thank you, Oma to 3. We had opened all the sofa beds to look inside, but we didn't know that there is a hollow place between the back of the sofa and the front of the back of the sofa (does that make sense?) accessible from underneath. GFB crawled UNDER the sofas and finally discovered Rk. (He is the cat that doesn't meow). The kids and kidlings stayed at Busch Gardens till it closed, they close down all the rides whenever there is thunder/lightning within 10 miles. They only got to ride 2 rides before noon, because of the weather closures, but they did get all the big rides in- including a few that the dgd was just a hair too short for officially. But a wonderful time was had by all.
    Outside temp is unofficially 100 degreess. Going to see Malificient during the hot afternoons.

15. Jan in CO

Whew. Hot already today, but at least we had two days of cool weather. Sure spoiled us.

Been cleaning the travel trailer out so gd and her bf can stay in there tonight and part of tomorrow and go to the park here to enjoy the festivities. Spent part of one afternoon putting up a pen for their dogs, etc. SOMEDAY I'll get back to my canning, hopefully before everything is spoiled.

GMB, When it comes to your mother, remember: Redirect, redirect, redirect! It's the only thing that helps me with my relatives like her. Change to some subject you know she will be thrilled about and get her mind off what is bugging you. I used to just hate the thought of visiting my parents. Not because of Mom, but my father. I'd be physically sick before I left home.

Break is over, back to work! Happy 4th of July everyone! Thank all the veterans you know, and relish our freedoms!

16. Oma2three

grandmotherbear ,so glad your kitty was found safe and sound .When it comes to animals I am all mush :)

17. Jan in CO

GMB, on the kitty: we had some friends in the military who moved, and before they left, couldn't find their kitty. It hid in that exact same place! Was a while before they had delivery of their furniture and poor thing was in the warehouse, all skin and bone, but alive. Glad you found Roadkill! They get freaked out in new places and situations, not sure what's going on or if they're going to be left! Have a safe trip home, and good luck at the bookstore. I got a nice large book for my grandson on grants and financing collage, but there were only two available still in Colorado, so it was kind of a disappointment, but the other tips will hopefully help him.

18. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, all. I don't think I posted at all last month on this thread. I'll try to do better. :eek:

Hope y'all enjoyed your 4th of July celebrations. I stayed home and played in the garden all day, watched the fireworks set off by the neighbors last night while Muttley was glued to my side (watched from inside the house).

I dug all the grass and weeds out of the blueberry bed yesterday and planted most of the new blueberry bushes I bought last spring. I'd kind of forgotten about them, but I only had one that looks like it's dead. It hadn't looked good when I bought it, so I'm not that surprised. I also pulled weeds from a lot more of the raised beds and even found a nest of eggs tucked under the rhubarb! I have to admit, I'm sore today.

I treated the lawn mower with a spray in product yesterday and now it starts and runs like a top. I have a small section of lawn mowed, but much more to go, and what I mowed today will have to be done again in a few days as it was really long grass and clover.

I'm finally getting my new filter/softener system for the well next week. After using rain water since December and no running water, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself! I'm pretty much out of the habit of turning on a faucet. :)

OUVickie, michelleIL and brendafawn like this.
  19. Grandmotherbear

Good to see you back MGM. Your energy always puts me to shame.

We got back to the lake yesterday evening fro my mom's place.

DS spent a lot of time just talking with GFB and me and his Grandma. We are all fairly erudite and don't only converse about movies and TV shows. He did comment once that was what he really missed about not living at home with us- the conversations. He did describe what his survival school would be like- not traditional- so the Eat the Weeds video and all the websites were not needed- more like political or sociological survival- how to construct a fake persona, how to answer interrogations, etc.

The children were simply wonderful. The dgd- aged 12, was easily enticed away from her Nintendo with a Monsters High graphic novel- now that I know she likes Monster High, I shall be able to shop for things she'de enjoy. the boy was much calmer and starting to think about post secondary plans. My mother tried to encourage him to go into the Army, but he doesn't have any desire for a military career after observing his birth father and adoptive father's long duty tours apart from family, and losing many honorary uncles and aunts during the three Afghanistan deployments DS went on.

DDIL's family does a traditional pig roast every 4th of July and DS has only missed the ones while on deployment but they decided, since DS + DDIL wanted to go to Busch Gardens that they would postpone till the 5th in irder to give the kids and kidlings a little more time with us. My mother and the kidlings played killer games of Uno every night. Grandma gave the kids all her board games except Mah Jong and Scrabble and DGS reaction was "Now we can have a family game night every week!" :kiss: He is really much improved emotionally.

At the lake we discovered the jugs had collected no rainwater since we left so GFB quickly watered the fruit trees and I watered the pineapples and bananas while he ran to the store. The Gunnera is dead- crisped by the heat. The cinnamon vine has a BATCH of tiny aerial tubers on it- I think I will leave them awhile longer before harvest. I am going to have to feed and water all the containerized plants before leaving this evening for the city.
    And Wednesday I'll be catching the train! YAY!!

20. OUVickie

Hello, everyone! It sounds like you all had a good 4th.
    Thanks everyone, for the well wishes, I truly appreciate it!!
    My heart palpitations haven't been as bad the past few days. I had been drinking an energy drink every other day or so and I'm sure that wasn't helping. So, I quit drinking them and bought some Sam-e. I'm taking one of those and a Rhodiola caplet once a day together. They really, really help my anxiety!!
    I still plan to have a physical and go see a cardio Doc, but I may wait until late August - if the palpitations don't start up again. I have so much to do before the end of the month.

Brendafawn - I'm glad to hear you are doing well and that your cast will be off soon. I know that will be a lifted burden for sure.

Our 4th was quiet. DD and the two oldest grands went to a 4th of July party at a friend's house west of the city. I picked up the youngest and kept her overnight, since she's scared by the loud noises. We watched fireworks on TV and listened to the National concert. I took her home Saturday morning and they were going back out to their friend's house for swimming and a cookout.

I went to my cousin's house for a cookout yesterday. His wife's youngest brother was in for a visit and she wanted the family to meet him. We had a GREAT time. She's an awesome cook and always out does herself. I was stuffed. The weather was perfect - in the upper 80s/lower 90s and a good breeze. We laughed and chatted for hours. Her brother and his friend are such nice people, just like her. He's from Louisiana and I told him I plan to visit there sometime soon, so it's nice to know some one local who can give me some guidance.

I took Thursday off, so I've had a nice 4 day weekend and I've accomplished a lot in four days. I've been decluttering, organizing, donating and giving stuff away - it has been awesome!
    Youngest DGD and I collected Sand Plums to Friday afternoon and I took a basket full to Gwen yesterday. She plans to make jam and I still have a ton I need to harvest out there.
    I went shopping Thursday and made some great sale purchases at the grocers, so I'm going to broil some chicken and a few steaks this evening for dinner and leftovers for meals tomorrow.

I'm doing laundry and continuing the housework and organizing today. I spent an hour or so outside this morning, while the weather was pleasant and we had a nice breeze.
    The newest adopted dog is fitting in nicely. She's a good dog, but she's definitely a pup. She tore up the lawn mower cover, so I had to replace that and she keeps molesting our resident box turtles. Apparently she thinks they are play toys and rolls them around.:rolleyes:
    So, I'm kept busy putting the turtles upright and telling her "No, no" when she drags something around that she shouldn't. LOL!!
    I made an appointment to have her fixed and get her shots next Thursday.

Well, have a great Sunday everyone!!