Daily Journal February 2015 Everyone welcome to Post

Discussion in 'Daily Journal & Everybody Has a Story Archives' started by Grandmotherbear, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Would one of you kind Moderators please sticky This?

Coughing is some improved but Grandfatherbear thinks I may have a fever since I've been so chilled the last 2 days- to the extent of buttoning up the house and turning on the heat- when I am the original "fresh air kid"- the colder, the better. The sciatica has NOT improved and I called it quits today after finally finishing transplanting the oregano, broccoli, and cauliflowers. Still a lot of weeding waiting, but it can wait a little longer. Have also been deeply, deeply fatigued. There has been a ghost cat stropping my legs today- my feet and legs are mostly numb these days, probably from spinal pressure- I look all about when I feel the strop and there is never a cat in sight. I think it's Spook, who chose me back when I was living over here at the lake-and who disappeared the same day GFB took me to the ER at 4 a.m. for chest pains (caused by coughing, I explained to the doctor). GFB confessed that he has been stropped by the phantom cat also. I trust it is Spook, trying to comfort us.
    Got one course completed for 2 continuing education credits, also have a 10 hr COPD course and a 15 hour breast cancer course- got them back in September, have just been too busy to work on them till now.
    Harvested sugar snap and snow peas, broccoli, snap beans, loofa squash, yellow pear cherry tomatoes, turnips, beets and red romain lettuce. Will pick pigeon peas prior to leaving for the city tomorrow.
    Going to go climb under an electric blanket (GFB, who feels the cold much more intensely than I usually do, has been sleeping ATOP the blanket for the last 2 nights.)
    This will be a short month, and at the end of it, only 3 weeks to SPRING, which I know y'all Northerners are looking forward to, but personally, I am dreading... Still trying to figure out what to do/where to go during the hottest couple weeks of the south Florida summer.

2. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

I looked at the January thread, and thought, that month went by quickly. It seems both a long time since New Year's and a snap of the fingers. I am up and down a lot, but hoping to get a grip. My sister says, too many changes too fast, and I think that is it. I don't make a lot of long-range plans, but it seems, until things changed, that I had expectations. My counselor says I'm OK. I don't truly need a confirmation, but I'm glad to get one, if that makes sense. We are looking at another snowfall. The inches they forecast for the nearby city is typically a little short for out here. It is staying very cold. That seems to seep into the bones, even though the house is warm enough. Headed to the grocery store this AM. The only things I seem to run down on are half-and-half and cat food, but neither is a good thing to be w-o if snowed in for a day. I should spend some time practicing the kids' assignments, though I find myself doing a certain amount of thinking about how much discretionary time I devote to that. Hope you have a good day. NO football for me, but I bought a book hat looks interesting at VOA for a quarter.

3. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

Back at work this morning. Not much going on and that is GOOD!! I am watching truck restoration videos. My first new truck was a 1978 GMC. I would like to find a '78 truck, but a crew cab, and do a complete restoration on it. This project will be a WAYS down the road, but it is always on my mind. The baby is home from the hospital and doing fine. Had to put him on formula. You all stay warm. It looks like it is going to be 30 degrees tomorrow night for here. I will have the wood stove rolling!!

Jan in CO and OUVickie like this.
  4. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Travis - I laughed when I read your post from yesterday. You just keep talking to that new grandson about all those projects and he'll be your shadow in the shop before you know it!!

Useless - I think we all like to have confirmation of our own thoughts. It helps to have an objective observer give us feedback.

GMB - I feel so bad for you. I hope you can get healthy soon. You two have had a rough few months!

Michelle - I have a "LinkedIn" profile and they actually send me lists of jobs, that I qualify for, in my area. I'm not looking for a job, but that's how LinkedIn works. They compare your profile to the job openings posted.
    You might look into it. Many companies are advertising on there now, because it's a huge Professional Network where you can connect with others and post your experience and education. You may already know about it, I just thought it was worth a mention, since you are professional baker.

The youngest DGD (4 yr old) has been with me all weekend. I picked her up Friday evening and was only going to keep her one night, but DD told me yesterday afternoon that they had only gotten shopping and errands done and hadn't gone to the movies yet - as they had planned.
    She told the oldest she'd take her to see the new Annie movie last night. I knew the youngest DGD wouldn't be still or quiet and that would be a disaster for them, so I kept her last night too.
    It has been a good weekend with her. It's so much easier to manage when she's by herself. No fussing like when the girls are together. We went to church yesterday and I took a bag of snacks, paper, coloring books and supplies with us. She spent the 2 hours playing, coloring and singing with the rest of us. I plan to take her home in a little while.

I made chicken fajitas and guacamole last night, so we are having leftovers for dinner this evening.
    It rained all day yesterday and all night last night. We got a good 2 inches of slow, steady, soaking rain - which is exactly what we needed. Praise the Lord!!

It's windy and cold today, but stayed warm enough it never turned to ice. I feel for those of you socked in with snow and such. I guess I'm used to the milder climate.
    I don't mind snow, but I do not deal well with driving on slush and ice. Because we don't get much snow here, the counties don't clear all the roads, just the snow routes and they don't have the kind of snow plows they do in northern climates. It gets treacherous during bad weather and the people here have no clue how to drive on bad roads. The powers that be decided - since it doesn't happen often - when we get more than a few inches of snow and freezing temps, they just shut everything down except for emergency services, hospitals, etc.
    They encourage businesses to be flexible with employees that have long commutes. Most of the schools and Universities will close until the temps get back above freezing. It has saved so many lives and countless hours for the police and emergency workers, since State agencies employ a lot of people and that means those people won't be out on the roads.

Well, I best go. I need to get the dishes done and get my granddaughters stuff rounded up, so I can take her home this afternoon. Have a wonderful Sunday, all!!!

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, all! Happy February. :)

Watching the Super Bowl today, rooting for the Seahawks, of course. First half has been good, especially the Hawk touchdown in the last 6 seconds of the half. Ready to start the 2nd half.

eta: Argh - literally threw away the chance to win it. Oh, well, it's just a game.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I have had a linkdin profile for some time, but I never messed with it. I might look into it again!

Nothing much going on here. Enjoying a night offwork tonight and tomorrow night. Have to get out a little tomorrow to take care of the flat tire on my bike. I don't like that, but it must be done, as that is my transportation to and from work when the roads are good.

Opened a container of livers I had beenw anting to eat. That was a mistake. Now I can still smell it, and I even sprayed. I will thaw the next package out right when I want to eat it next time! Yucky yucky!

Had my second cup of coffee. I don't know whether I want a third cup or not. That is hitting it pretty hard for me, might have a cup of decaf!

Looking at recipe ideas. I have potatoes to use, so I might just have a potato gratin. The recipe I saw looked really good and only called for leeks, potatoes, cheese, milk and a little flour to coat the potatoes. Might be something I can put in the crockpot.

We got the six inches or so of snow, and now it is in the teens outside, nice and crusty! Too cold for me. Staying in where it is warm and toasty!

And I'm in agreement, that Jan thread just snapped shut like nobody's business! And Feb will do the same!

7. hollowman

hollowman Member

Hope you're better, Grandmotherbear! Winter storm Linus is hitting us pretty hard here in northern Columbia County PA. Our elevation guarantees more snowfall amounts than the valley areas. We've got about 8" out of it so far and it's still coming down.

I asked a question at the end of the January thread, and since I posted nearer the end of the month I was told to try asking here. Has anyone noticed the whitetail deer in the Northeast having some difficulty finding food? They've been foraging closer to the cabin than usual, so we got some corn crunch for them. They likely stayed away for most of the years that we've been here because we had Siberian huskies on guard duty (lol, not really). Just curious. Best wishes to everyone :)

Travis in Louisiana likes this.
  8. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

We are in the path of the latest storm, but not complaining. The big ones that hit west and east of here mostly missed us. Enough inches of snow now means plants are protected from the low temps and the water table will be supported. I am sorry to miss today's students, but I made a plan long ago that if the school districts along my route are closed, lessons are off. It is less trouble than making a bunch of calls. Waiting to cancel only complicates things for families with childcare and job things to work out. Even some years away from public school, a snow day is found time :) After this, I'm reading my book, making a (short) list of tasks I've avoided or put aside, and DOING THEM. lol Blackie the cat, the one my elderly neighbor calls his but whose feeding and health care I've taken on?, took up up residence at the top of the back stairs last night. It's chilly there, but enclosed and bright. He has an old football throw to curl up in. I'm giving him tidbits frequently so he doesn't head out through the snow looking for things to eat. Even if he leaves, most likely he'd just circle the house through the drifts and come calling from the front stoop, anyway. H-man, the deer aren't particularly in town here, but someone called the Saturday garden show to say a rhododendron that had never been bothered was pretty much de-leafed this past week, and asked for advice.

9. hollowman

hollowman Member

We're not too concerned about our gardens. We have very few shrubs, mostly perennials that haven't emerged or started greening up yet.

10. Grandmotherbear

Inter-netting from Panera Bread this morning. GFB is better, at least. I think I will have to try a dose of Elderberry syrup, doubt this is continuing to be allergies. It may be cane harvest, the companies burn the canefields prior to Harvest. Cane production has been cut back- 25 years ago January and February brought visible smoke and ashfall on us within 1/2 mile of the East Coast. Of course it still does a number on my asthma!
    The bpd mother is talking about selling her house and moving to an independent/assisted living facility. Well and good, but she will take a financial hit if she does so. It would be much cheaper for her to hire a housekeeper or a live-in, but you can't tell her anything. She is still cooking big feeds like for family reunions, and then gifting the leftovers to the nephew she has living close. I think he just throws it out after she leaves. She has given my brother, me, and GFB food poisoning with her dishes left out for several days prior to us arriving for a visit...all we can do is eat hearty prior to arriving at her place. I don't see her changing her cooking habits just because she moves to a studio apartment with a mini kitchen...I can see her getting angry because she doesn't have storage space for all her food (and she's not a prepper- just wasteful. Still spending $100-$200 a week on food and throwing most of it out.)
    Need to go by post office and possibly go by "comfortable shoes" at the mall. I love that a store name is so descriptive.
    I bought "marble beans" from Baker Creek Seeds and they turned out to be the beloved pilloy beans we discovered at the supermercadios. I'll need to try to clear enough space to plant some in the city backyard, but not right now- still have sciatica/lower back front groin pain. May have to check out this Deep Blue everyone is talking about.

OUVickie likes this.
  11. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Happy February everyone!

Ok, I got the Deep Blue Rub. I was hoping it would work like the Migra Works stuff did, but it isn't as good, and does not last as long either. I am so glad it works as good as it does for others. Not to say it doesn't help ease the pain a bit, it does, but not enough to pay that price for it.

My mom says she has tried salon pas and that they work good, and also a roll on called Stop, which I am not sure if she meant Stoppain, anyway, Deep Blue is not worth the money for me. Over the counter stuff has worked even better than this and whew does it ever have a long lasting smell. I will try other less expensive products next.

Super Bowl was great, the streaming worked just fine with the exception that only some of the commercials played. It would put up this big screen that said "coverage will continue shortly". Some of them played, others didn't. I even made sure I had temporarily turned off the ad-blocker.

The ribs were not so good, wayyyyy too sweet. The sauce was coca cola, brown sugar, and mustard. The ribs got a rib rub sprinkled over it first, and baked a while. Then, into the crockpot, with the sauce poured over. It was just too sweet.

But I did make the pumpkin baked donuts with maple icing - whoop winner! :). Also, Saturday I made that cabbage/mushrooms/broccoli, onion and potato bake thing, oh so good. Then the Hot Ruben Dip - WOW is that ever good! We ate like kings all weekend! The game was good too so that helped! DH couldn't care less about the SB, and it is the only time I watch football, but to me it's an American tradition.

Mom says that BeActive brace still works! She even wears it at night now. She said she woke up in pain, put it on, pain stopped, she slept just fine! The only downside to the thing is, it only works on one side of your body. Like, if you have left hip pain, or left-side back pain, but who ever has only one side of your back hurting? And it says you are not supposed to wear two of them at one time, although I can't imagine why not. Anyway, this brace has done amazing things for my mom (77 years old now) and I'm so glad for anything that takes away her pain!

Lots of fog this morning, it was magical! I so soak up the rain and fog when we get it as when Spring hits, whooop - it lasts 20 min. and then it's HOT!

It is supposed to be 70F today and clear so I think I will experiment baking the 5 minute bread in my redneck solar oven today!

Hope you are all a-ok!

12. Homesteader

[​IMG]

I thought you all might like to see the 5 minute bread dough. I took this out of the fridge just now to take a photo for you. This is in a gallon jar!

13. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Homesteader - all that food sounds good!!
    I use the Salonpas patches and I like them. I've used the roll-on Stop-Pain before too. It works. The one thing I like about patches and roll-on is less mess. You can put them directly on the area that hurts.

DH's Mom sent him money for us to go out to dinner with his Sister & BIL. BIL lost his father last week to an extended illness and MIL said she would rather send money for us to all have dinner together tonight, instead of spending it on flowers. DH and his Sister decided we're going to BJ's for dinner. I thought that was a nice gesture on her part.

The weather is suppose to be up and down in temps this week. I try to plan my wardrobe around each days temps. I have a big Winter coat and two or three jackets of varying weights. It's nice to be able to dress accordingly.

I took the youngest DGD home yesterday afternoon and spent a few hours visiting with DD. They went to see the new Annie movie and loved it. The oldest DGD got her ears pierced and a small arcade game system she wanted. She told DD it was her best birthday ever! LOL - kids are so cute!

Well, I best wrap-up here. I have an errand to run before meeting everyone for dinner.
    Have a wonderful evening, all!!

14. manygoatsnmore

Homesteader, I'm sorry the Deep Blue didn't work as well for you as it did for me. I guess that's why there are so many different products out there. Some will work for one, others for others. A couple of my friends use that brace behind their knee and say it works for some of them, not for others. I'm considering investing in one. WalMart carries them, and there is a money back guarantee, so if it doesn't work, I'm not out anything. Where did you find a gallon Ball mason jar? The largest I've been able to find is a half gallon. I'd love to have a gallon size.

Travis in Louisiana and OUVickie like this.
  15. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

It is Friday for me, well sort of. I have two days of school here at the plant, the next two days. No, they are not going to feed us. Sometimes they do. I come back to shift on Thursday night. They were suppose to cut my oak tree down today, but they did not. I guess they will get to it when they can. I am almost finished painting on the cabinet, but it will be Thursday before I can get to it. It is going to be cold, so you all stay warm!!!

OUVickie likes this.
  16. Homesteader

Travis whatdya' mean they won't feed you? Buggers.

MGM, yes so true, and like I said, I am so glad it works for you!

I found my gallon mason right at Walmart - in with all the canning supplies. I was glad to find it, they had three on the shelf.

I'm experimenting with the bread and the solar oven, so today's experiment is, put cold dough in to the pre-warmed oven (hee hee, prewarmed by the sun) and bake. See if it rises enough. It was 175F going in, but that cold pan/dough would have dropped the temp a lot. It has done some rising, and is actually baking now, but it didn't rise much.

If it's awful, then next I will let it rise inside first and gingerly put it into the oven and let it go.

17. Grandmotherbear

Salonpas actually has 2-3 types patches. The small ones, good for my wrists, are methylsaliscylate. The big ones are capsaicin- that's what I use for my back/sciatica. But I also need 3-4 doses of Naprosyn, the Elavil, and the pain pill. Right now I am having aterrible exacerbation. May have to ask for a dose pak of steroids.
    Researching medicare supplement plans. Blue Cros/Shield's supplement doesn't cover the pain pills or the Elavil, leaving me with a med bill of $200 a month PLUS the Part D enrollment charges. Everything else I get from ADC. There's only 2 other traditional insurance supplements and 1 of these isn't taken by my allergist. Everything else is an HMO. :-( :( Guess I will be hoping and praying I stay well when I travel, if I have to be stuck with an HMO.

18. manygoatsnmore

I'm so excited that I just had to post. I've had a headache most of the day, so was not having a very good day overall...and then I got on HT tonight and found out I'd won the seed drawing on the Giveaways thread (top of the page here). As a non-recovering seedaholic, there's not much I'd like to receive than a box of gifted seeds! I still have a headache, but I'm doing my happy dance anyway, and feeling good. :D :sing: :dance: :banana:

19. Homesteader

Congrats MGM! I won a bean giveaway last year, about 10 packages of beans and I planted all of them.

GMB I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. I guess I'll skip the salon pas now that I read what that methylsaliscylate is. I take the tylenol every day so that might not be a good mix, plus my steroidal inhaler too.

Hope the rest of you too who are not feeling good get back to chipper real soon.

The bread did good considering the clouds moved in, a light hazy type just enough to really drop the temp in the solar oven. So I finished off the loaf for about 10 minutes inside in the regular oven. I packaged up the loaf and left it for the neighbor as a surprise. Considering it went in cold and not risen it did super - very fluffy crumb, I was quite happy. I will do a rise-it-first loaf next.

I need to redo the reflector panels on my ovens as they are just so wrinkled now that I think it's reducing the heating. Also I have to set them in a different place now during this time of year because our pine trees have grown so much, they block the sun now where I used to sit them. I have three ovens. Made with nothing more than an aluminum roasting pan, a piece of poster board with aluminum foil glued onto it! The panel curves around the pan, and I duct tape or storage tape it to the pan. I use oven roaster bags as the "lid", clamped on with clothespins! Works so good. They cost about 7 dollars to make if you don't count the oven thermometer, which you don't actually need.

I need to take new pictures of how they work and edit my posting from Jan. of '12 about them. I used to have the pics on webshots but when they went to charging for their service I left. Then, I have a bunch of our pictures "frozen" in the computer prior to this one as I didn't back them up. I keep trying to tell myself I don't need them. But I do miss some of them.

The water heater to the house stopped working yesterday, but DH got it working when he got home last night. I'll have a shower this morning - whoop! We have a second one in the building that houses our washer.

We had all leftovers last night for dinner, so good, ribs and that cabbage bake dish and the homemade bread. Yummy!

Well whatever you all are up to today, stay warm and dry, and pain-free and happy!

20. Grandmotherbear

Internetting from Panera Bread. one of our "less-new" computers died- needs a whole new operating system- so I am using my old Compaq. It was the one I took north when I took the grands "north with the spring" back in June 2007, and it was a year or two old then.
    I checked out part of the backyard, didn't want to do the whole thing as I was feeling less pain than I've had in a week or more.Unfortunately, it hit me again in the bookstore. I realized I've been curling up and creeping like a little old lady with a pronounced dowager hump. I don't think it reduces the pain at all but it is true that with sevre enough pain people curl into a fetal position. Unfortunately have to lay off the naprosyn awhile due to bright red stools. Probably nothing serious but we'll see what happens. Time for another scope anyway (has it reallly been 3 years??? Time flies)
    Hurt too bad to cook or eat last night- GFB finally made me toast. Here in the city it's getting really warm about midday- need to clean the a/c filter before we run it again.
    One of the pineapples in the backyard is setting a fruit! YAY!