Cooler Food Storage in the Desert

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Sep 28, 2004.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You could try 2 large clay (unglazed) flower pots. He puts a layer of sand between the pots and covers with damp cloth. The Mexicans have a clay ola that they put water in and set in the shade. The evaporation keeps the water inside cool. If you can't find what you want there just might be a local artist who does thrown pots who could do a custom 'refrigerator' for you.

3. HarleysMom

I guess two different sizes of the large clay flower pots would work.

4. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

There are many terra cotta pots available from Mexico. Shouldn't be hard to find one that would fit inside another. Many are not glazed, just fired so the evaporation should work well. I wonder if they can be different heights. Where are you located in AZ? Nogales is a fun way to spend a day if you are anywhere close. Haggling is a way of life south of the border. I live about 18 miles south of Maricopa (the city) and 25 miles west of Casa Grande.

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Scroll down a bit on this page and read about using a solar cooker for cooling food at night.Interesting! To think about the ways to cool things with out electric or a cave. :D
    I really like the clay pot idea.I may have to try that mayself,out of said flower pots.

http://www.solarcooking.org/funnel.htm

6. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Too bad I live in a place of high humidity! That would have been wonderful when I didn't have electric!

7. HarleysMom

Thanks, insanity. I think I am going to try one of those cookers.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You need to be aware that the evaporative food cooler will not get cool enough in the summer to keep meat and dairy from spoiling. It will be a good place to keep fruits and vegies and anything that just needs to be cool, not cold.

9. HarleysMom

Yes, I knew that. It never mentioned anything about keeping things cold just cooler than the ambient temperatures which could help quite a bit if there is a time when there is no electricity.
    It might be like an ice chest if you put ice in it.
    In some desert countries they make ice overnight in the winter, pull it up, and bury it to use in the summer when needed.
    Just interested in no or low technology based ways of doing things.