Colony setup in a hoop house

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by drsinpa, Feb 20, 2017.

1. drsinpa

drsinpa Member

We are wanting to have the ability to move our colony rabbits both for the purposes of cleanliness and for ease of fertilizing our veg garden. The thought is that we could modify a hoop house constructed from PVC, wood, and greenhouse plastic with wire cloth across the floor and up the 3 foot side vents, so that the colony could spend the winter in the warmer hoop house spreading manure. Then in the spring, they go back to their summer shelter/run and we can plant right in the fertilized soil. Question for the experienced colony rabbit raisers here: would you be concerned that a predator would go through that greenhouse plastic to get to the rabbits during the winter?
    thanks,
    d-

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I see you got 49 looks but no replies---maybe soon. I do not do a colony, I collect their poop and till it in where I am ready---I personally would not want the urine in my garden, But that's me. I do not know how big your hoop house is but it seems like a lot of work to put wire down etc?? I feel sure the plastic would not slow the right predator down. Good Luck

3. drsinpa

drsinpa Member

Yea, based on what we are finding on the web, it will either have to be a second colony traditionally set up with wire completely enclosing that just happens to have the greenhouse plastic on the outside OR we'll have to run a bit of electric wire around above the vents. The former is similar to what they do at a farm we visited in Virginia last year, except they have their rabbits in cages and have chickens in the same enclosure.
    thanks so much for responding :)
    d-

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep I have seen a lot of video's of rabbits in cages and chickens inside of the greenhouses. That seems to be a good winter set-up. But rabbits dig-----deep---so you having to floor the ground to keep them in---then remove the wire and rabbits to plant sounds like a lot of extra work.

I feel my set-up it great for collecting the poop, but not the urine for the garden/greenhouse. Even before I put them in the meals-on-wheels trailer I collected the poop the same way---only takes minutes every week or two. Then sling it out for your garden if you want. I will post pics if you have not seen how I do it if you want.

Sure during the freezing times I have to drain the automatic watering system and hand water them in crocks but in SC we do not have a lot of freezing times so I do not have to hand water a lot.