Clear jel vs corn starch?

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by Ohio dreamer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

I know corn starch is a no-no in caning. The recipe for apple pie filling I want to make uses corn starch....do I substitute the clear jel 1:1?

2. FishOil

FishOil Active Member

I use a cup and a half of Clear Jel per 7 quarts of apples.

FishOil

3. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

I would like to try some recipes with clear jel. Do you know of a website that has good ones?
    Thanks
    Joanie

4. judylou

judylou Well-Known Member

5. Ohio dreamer

Judylou, is using less clear jel then a recipe calls for ok? I find the extension office recipes are thicker then I care for.

6. judylou

Sure you can use less. You can even leave it out all together. Many, myself included, choose to can their pie fillings as fillings but without any thickener, including Clear Jel, and then add the thickener they prefer right when making the pie.

I much prefer either cornstarch or tapioca depending on the fruit so I leave out the Clear Jel and add my cornstarch to my filling just before dumping it into the pie shell. Easy and quick to do. ;)

7. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

what fruit do you use tapioca with--i must be hugry but that sounds real good :)

8. judylou

I use tapioca in any of the extra juicy, really acid fruit pies, like cherry and blueberry and especially pineapple pie. It thickens better than cornstarch in the presence of acid and it absorbs more of the juice so the pie has more flavor but not the soggy bottom crust you often find with juicy fruits.

Just don't use it in a lattice crust pie or you get hard bits where the fruit is exposed to the heat. Two-crust pies only.

9. Ohio dreamer

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and just lower the quantity of clear jel. I like to make 7-14 qts of pie filling for those...."I need something NOW" situations I find myself in way too often. The bulk of my apples are canned in water so I can determine later what they will become.

Interesting on the tapioca. I have never tried that, will have to give it a try next year if we get we berries in like we plan. I've always steered away from recipes that use it as I can't get my mind off tapioca pudding - and I don't want "soft gritty stuff", as I called it as a kid, in my pie filling.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

11. VT Chicklit

VT Chicklit Well-Known Member

Why is corn starch a no no in canning? This is something that I had never heard.

12. judylou

It is the same reason that all dairy products and oils are prohibited. Just like flour, pasta, rice, and any other so-called "thickeners" corn starch is prohibited in home canning because it both retards the heat penetration need to kill bacteria, but it also binds to bacteria and insulates them from the heat so the heat can't kill them. Clear Jel is the only approved thickener.