Can you put a Ram and a Goat Buck in same yard?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Old Mission, May 30, 2010.

1. Old Mission

Old Mission Well-Known Member

We have a ram and a goat buck, the goat buck (pygmy) is a new addition
    and we have him in the large pasture with everyone else right now(sheep and female goats and a ram) The ram chased him away from the ewes the first couple days then he has left him alone, my question is we are making a yard to put the ram away from the ewes, and we need to keep the goat buck away from the female goats too, so could we put the ram and goat buck in a yard alone together? or will they fight? I figured maybe they'd do ok together without females around so they wont get lonely? Or am I better off just keeping
    them alone each in their own yard? Will they get lonely?

Stephanie

2. LaManchaPaul

LaManchaPaul Well-Known Member

We had to separate the ram and the buck here. They were always - always fighting. IMO the ram is more dangerous because he'd back up, get a running start and hit the buck broad side. I never could leave them together even in a large pasture, but they were always with ewes.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I agree with Paul -- they'll fight. If you started out with a ram lamb and a buck kid about the same age, and the same mature weight, it MIGHT work. You do need to be careful about keeping the buck where he can get to the ewes, and the ram where he can get to the does, because they will cross-breed. The fetus aborts a few weeks along -- it's not viable. But they can impregnate females of the other species.

And then there's the mineral issue -- copper is toxic to sheep, but necessary to goats.

Kathleen

4. 2manydogs

2manydogs Member

I raised buck and a ram together. They did get along alright together most of the time but the goat ate the wool off the ram all the time. Poor ram took us while to figure out what was going on and he was half bald :shocked:

5. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Doesn't surprise me, my saanen doe eats the feathers off the chickens. My poor roosters walk around tailless.

I also have to be careful not to get my head in her reach because she'll grab my hair and yank HARD trying to pull out chunks. OUCH.

6. RiverPines

RiverPines Well-Known Member

Rams and bucks will at some point challenge each other period.
    There is one big problem, they do it differently!
    Rams go low and hit. Bucks rise up, come down and hit.
    They risk missing heads and one getting very hurt, usually the buck as he gets nailed on his way down from his rearing up.

IMO, all mixing these two does is increase the risk of unneeded injury and developing to PO'd animals as they hurt one another with their different fighting styles.

Rams with rams and bucks with bucks.

7. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm Pro-facter Supporter

I have that problem too!:baby04: