Can you make your own spinning wheel?

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by lsarah, Jun 21, 2012.

1. lsarah

lsarah Member

Can you make your own simple spinning wheel? Like from "found" objects? I am curious if it can be done. I have a very good understanding of how a wheel works, but I am by no means a woodworker. Am I thinking of attempting something I shouldn't?

The reason I ask is because I was in a local antique store yesterday and saw the perfect little wheel, probably from a wheel barrow, and for some strange reason, I can't quit thinking about how I could make a spinning wheel. It would make a cute little castle style wheel. I even laid awake last night thinking and planning. Guess I am going to have to go back and get it and put it in the "someday" category.

Gee whiz - like I need something else to do......

~Lori

2. lsarah

lsarah Member

Thanks for the encouragement! Hubby is very mechanically minded - I bet he can figure out that end of it. Probably won't happen any time soon, but it can't hurt to start collecting pieces and parts, can it?

~Lori

3. Pearl B

Pearl B Well-Known Member

Heres a youtube clip of a bicycle spinning wheel.

[YOUTUBE]t8wwIdz7vz8[/YOUTUBE]

4. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

Google 'spinning wheel plans" They are out there to give you ideas. I think it would take a bit of tinkering to get one adjusted just right. Everythign has to be balanced. But it can be done. Some day, when DH has a bit more time, I'll have him build one for me.