Can you Dye Ceramic Tile?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OUVickie, Jul 13, 2008.

1. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

I have white ceramic tile in my kitchen (came with the house). I'd prefer to have a stone brown color, since we live in the country.
    Can you safely dye, or stain ceramic tile and then put a protective coat over it?

I also have another issue.
    Some of the tiles are cracked. The problem with totally replacing the tile is money. I have a big kitchen and can't afford it right now.

So, I'm trying to think of ways I can just redo what I have.

2. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

There are paints that can be used on tile, but they don't look the greatest and will affect resale value. There are also companies that do reglazing for a fraction of the cost of replacing.

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I expect it would depend upon whether the tile is glazed or unglazed. Which do you have?

4. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

ceramic tiles that are used in kitchens are usually glazed and high fired. if they're glazed, (shiny or a matt surface that is smooth) then you can't stain them, but you can paint them with tile paint. (or any paint if you put something similar to KILLZ on them. there are a couple of products that will adhere to tiles/glass). Think of your glazed tiles as glass (which is what the glaze actually is)

(look for the type of KILLZ that says it will bond to glass or tile)

if they're not glazed at all, but feel more like clay pots...that is, if they will absorb the water you splash on them (not likely, but I've seen kitchens with rough tiling) then you can stain them.

regular glass paints would work, but 1)they're kinda expensive, and 2) unless you heat them to 350F they're not permanent...they'll peel or wash off.

If you go the KILLZ route, you paint the stuff on, let it dry (it's white usually) and then stain or paint to your hearts desire. to make it water resistant, I would think a coat of clear acrylic glaze or the paint they put on clay pots to waterproof them would work well.

5. OUVickie

Thanks - that's worth considering.

It's glazed tile.

Thank you, this helps.
    There is a company in Norman called ReBath - they apparently reglaze bathtubs - same concept, I'm sure.
    Think I'll check with a floor store and see what they say.

I appreciate the tips!!

6. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

had a thought....what about giving yourself (and the kitchen) a small change....remove or paint just a single line or two....replace with new tiles that will blend your country motif in with the white? maybe a brown and white scene? hmmm....some slate type or stone?

would be like a band or frame.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

8. Use Less

Use Less Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you paint or find someone who could do trompe l'oeil in country designs? Or apply good-quality stick-ons for a temporary change, that you can peel or clean off later? But maybe a really good plan is to replace the broken tiles, and think what else could you change to make your kitchen more what you would like? Sue

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Well-Known Member

Are they high gloss or matte? I was told that a matte could be reglazed and refired by a ceramic shop. I was told I would be charged by the piece if I only had a few or $20 for the entire kiln. This was a few years ago and I moved so I didnt' need the tiles. Carolyn

10. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

around our fireplace. It was a faux-marble high gloss tile. Never cared for the looks of it. We purchased a special primer from Sherwin Williams and then used a quart of paint to go right over the primer.....looks sharp and would work the same way in a kitchen I am sure. Not sure about the cracked tiles....perhaps you could pop a cheap replacement in before you prime and paint over them?

11. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

Hey.

Use epoxy paint if you want it to last.

RF

12. OUVickie

Well, I found a place called The Floor Trader that sells everything, including ceramic tile pretty cheap. So, I'm thinking of waiting until I have a few hundred buck and just replacing it. I think that would be easier and I can recycle the ones I have. Even broken tiles can be used by people that do Mosaic art, or I can use them in the bottom of my plant pots for drainage.

I appreciate everyone's tips, it's helped me decide what I want to do!
    Thanks!