Can strawberries be grown year round?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Judith, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member

In a greenhouse? Just curious if it has been done

2. EDDIE BUCK

EDDIE BUCK Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, not sure how to answer. I grow strawberries year round in a raised bed not in a greenhouse. I think you are asking can you have ripe berries year round in a greenhouse. My guess is if you keep plants refrigerated and keep planting through the year, yes but using the same plants to keep berries ripening all through the year, I don't think so. Im sure someone on the forum does know if they would be so kind to pass that info along. Eddie

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Are you going to hand pollinate? Or are pollinators active year-round where you are?

4. EDDIE BUCK

EDDIE BUCK Well-Known Member Supporter

I know that a greenhouse a few miles from me has strawberries and they use carpenter bees but wether they have ripe strawberries year round I don't know. All I know is they always have earliest strawberries around. Next time Im headed that way I will stop and ask. Eddie

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i imagine you could if you choose an everbearing variety and keep the temps and lighting appropriate.

6. woodsy_gardener

woodsy_gardener Anchorite Gardener

Older everbearers like Ozark Beauty and Ogallala bear two crops, early summer and fall. Newer varieties like Tristar and Tribute are day neutral and will set fruit continuously. I grow and recommend day neutral Sarian F1 grown from seed, available from Pinetree. I'd give a link but they are offline. They are a great seed company; hope this is just temporary.

7. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I grew everbearing strawberries called Tribute and tristar. They make fruit from July until hard frost outdoors. The problem with strawberries is they need a cooling period in order to bear fruit. I should think it would work to keep the plants in a cooler and set them out at intervals to bear fruit.
    Sounds like a fun project.
    Linda