Can I put homemade wine into plastic coke bottles-ran out of glass bottles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NancyinArkansas, Oct 6, 2005.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

I have a new hobby making homemade wine-it is fun-but I dont have enough glass bottles-can i put it in plastic bottles and it still taste good--thank you for reading this -Nancy

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I use glass quart mason jars. The plastic could impart an off tatse to your wine, so I am not sure I would do it. I also use the one gallon glass jars that apple juice or apple cider comes in.
    hth some, Nic

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hi there!

From one winemaking Nancy to another - yes, you can technically put it in plastic soda bottles but would I? Nope, I think it will not taste near as good. I don't even like to drink wine out of plastic let alone store it. Do you have any extra canning jars? I would think that would be better than the plastic. Hope that helps!

Nance

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I get my wine out of a cardboard box....pretty cool new invention, eh? There is a plastic bladder inside the box that holds the wine. The wine tastes okay to me.

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

LOL - hey Cab - pop that bladder out of the box, throw it in the cooler, add ice, add a canoe ride and a great way to spend an afternoon!

6. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

That's a true point. I've had this type before.

7. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

MMMM!!!! I'd love some homemade wine........for now I'm with Cab :baby04:

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never done it myself, but.......
    I have a friend who puts both home-brewed Wine/Mead
    and Beer in plastic pop bottles. He sterilizes everything, well.

I have had both at his house, a few times, several.
    They taste just fine. The Plastic bottles handle beer
    pressures alright too. It works fine.

I put all my Mead in Champagne bottles. But, I use crown-caps,
    just like you do on beer bottles.
    I use recycled beer bottles for beer, along with about 50, 16oz.
    returnable(Well, they use to be) glass bottles.

Different Folks do things differently. whatever works for you.
    Main thing is........Have Fun.

9. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Reportedly the reason you don't see beer sold in plastic bottles (except at stadiums, arenas, etc.) is the plastic 'breathes', letting the beer go flat. Could the same happen to wine? What about plastic liquor bottles?

10. Pete

Pete Solar Powered Aussie

I wouldn't do it. Plastic bottles made from recycled plastic (PET, it's called here) degrade over a period of 12 months, and the particles which disolve in the fluid are carcinogenic. This is why coke, etc, in plastic sourced from recycled plastic has use-by dates.
    I don't use anything at all which is liquid packed in plastic.
    The bladder in Cabin Fever's Chateau Cardboard ( invented by DA!DA! an Aussie in the early 70's) is in fact lined with flexable metalic inert material, not plastic.

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

As long as you are using food grade plastic designed for carbonated systems, it is not a problem. Technically it is not possible to sterilize such containers, but they can be sanitized effectively with a variety of agents, sodium metabisulphite, bleach etc, just make sure to rinse thoroughly. These plastics do not "breathe" and do not let it go flat, but poor fitting caps can. It is better to used colored ones like the green bottles from 7 up etc since the colored variety has uv protection whereas some of the clear do not. Another thing is if you bottle 2 liters of beer and only drink one, most homebrews will still already have enough fermentables to recarbonate the remainder by simply recapping it. The reason they are not commercially selling beer in plastic containers is market research says it will be rejected by the consumer, and government agencies prefer to not have alchoholic beverages look like soft drinks. From the brewer's standpoint the main draw back is sanitation can be tricky when it comes to those threads on the bottle top and the cap. I suggest submersing the caps in a concentrated sanitation liquid for at least ten minutes and then rinsing completely til you cant smell the bleach etc anymore

12. jimarh

jimarh Well-Known Member

do you use flat tops and rings to close the jars like in canning? Does it keep well that way and not push up the top? Do you have any problems?
    We make wine too and are getting ready to make more soon. We often have problems getting bottles and hate the extra expense - the jars are an interesting idea and would save money if it works!

13. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Have been told Mason jars were the standard container for moonshine locally. Next in popularity was the one-gallon coke syrup glass bottles.

14. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've reused PET bottles quite succesfully for wine. No off taste but I'd agree its not a long term storage container.

15. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

I brew beer in the 20 ounce spring water bottles.

pop the seal, empty the water, make the wort, store bottle for 2 weeks, wort goes back in bottle, ready to drink in 2 weeks.

they pop out when ready :D

p.s. they taste great, dunno any bs about plastic taste, maybe i like the taste of plastic if such a thing exists..

16. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

please, post the recipe for the cheapest, easiest, shortest to make wine!

is it possible to use bread yeast? i dont have any brew houses near me and dont want to use the internet for 1 order of yeast.