Buying Crackers v. Making Crackers

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by WestWindFarm, Mar 26, 2013.

1. WestWindFarm

WestWindFarm Active Member

I would like to say that I am one of those people who likes things to be cost effective. I make and dry my own pasta because normally we buy 5 boxes at the store for roughly 2$ a piece and for a bag of flour and eggs from our chickens I can make the exact same amount for around 5$.

I have a small child and my husband who both love Cheez-its and Wheat thins. The crackers call for flour, unsalted butter, and some seasoning.

Has anyone else tried this?

Is it really more cost effective? did they store well? and more importantly DID THEY TAST GOOD?

Thanks!!!!

2. TJN66

TJN66 Canning Crazy Supporter

Good questions...I cant wait to see the answers too!

3. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

I make graham crackers...those are incredibly good. No comparison to store bought and absolutely worth it.
    I haven't made 'regular' crackers, but I'm positive that they, too, would be really good!

PS: The grahams store very well in a tin for a couple months.

4. Jacktheknife

Jacktheknife Mad Scientist

I would like to have that graham cracker recipe.:hijacked:

TJN66, PaulaBlanch and Taylor R. like this.
  5. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7

I will be following this thread as I, too, want to be more frugal.

I've actually experimented with making crackers; but they have not turned out very well. I'm hoping to get ideas that actually work.

6. Jacktheknife

7. WestWindFarm

WestWindFarm Active Member

Well, I will experiment soon! I have a bunch of pepper jack that needs to be used and I will sit down and figure out the price, how much a batch is, and compare it to a box of crackers.

Thanks everyone!

8. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing how your crackers come out.

Recipe I use for graham crackers:
    9T plus 1t soft butter
    3/4 C sugar
    3/4 C flour
    1 1/3 C whole wheat flour
    4 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    6 T buttermilk

Cream butter/sugar
    Combine dry ingredients, add to butter mix alternately with milk.
    Divide dough in half, wrap and chill 1H.
    Roll out on floured surface 1/4" thick. Cut as desired. Place on parchment on baking sheet.
    Prick tops if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
    Bake at 325 12-15" till lightly browned.

For us, I use a little less sugar, cutout with cookie cutters, sprinkle generously w/plain cinnamon...some I squish a whole almond into (my faves!)

WestWindFarm and Taylor R. like this.
  9. Jacktheknife

So no graham flour?

10. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Do you use Graham Flour??

11. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

No. Just regular white and whole wheat, which works for me, as I prefer to use what I have vs. buying especial.
    These are so good as is, that I'm always asked for the recipe. I even bring these for Holiday cookie exchange.

12. Jacktheknife

Thanks for sharing. I have everything on hand, I will give these a try.

13. mtviolet

mtviolet Well-Known Member

Graham flour is a course whole wheat flour. So if you can't find graham flour just use whole wheat flour for the same results.

14. KrisD

KrisD Well-Known Member Supporter

I make cheeze its. They come out well and are delishes. I have no idea how well they store because we eat them all as soon as they are cool enough to handle. I don't think they are really cost effective but I at least there's no garbage in them which is worth it to me.

WestWindFarm and Taylor R. like this.
  15. Jacktheknife

I mixed these up in Lucy (the red headed stand mixer) and have the dough chilling in the ice box. I used graham flour that I picked up at the rainbow co-op yesterday.

Any tips on getting these rolled out?

:wizard:

16. Jacktheknife

Ok, rolling wasn't as bad as I expected, but use flour to keep the dough from sticking. I cut with a pizza cutter. The crackers come off easily from from the oven, but stick and will break if you let them cool even slightly.i immediately but them on a cool sheet for the second batch and had no problems.

I am not sure if it was because I used graham flour, but these could have use a little more sweetness. I will try adding a couple tablespoons of honey next time.

The application of cinnamon was the thoughest bit, I think I will have to try a cocoa shaker next time.

17. mpennington

mpennington Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to try making crackers.

I've been needing to feed my poor neglected King Arthur starter. I'm going to pull it out tonight and make these tomorrow. Will grind some hard red wheat. On second thought, I'll wait until tomorrow night. Montana Wheat order coming in tomorrow and I'll have spelt and Kamut. :)

18. mpennington

mpennington Well-Known Member

These crackers are amazing! Not sure how they would taste cooled down as none of them made it to that stage. DD was picking them up "hot" off the tray and blowing on them to cool just a bit. Definitely a keeper recipe - taste like a better wheat thin.

Haven't run a cost study on them, but the sourdough starter was a "saved" throw-a-way. One cup of spelt flour was 2/3's cup milled spelt berries from Wheat Montana co-op buy. Most expensive item was 1/4 cup coconut oil. Recipe suggests lard instead, but I don't have any. Wish I had kept fat from the pastured pig DD and I split :(

Only cooked one batch, followed recipe suggestion to freeze remainder in balls to roll out later. Recipe made five 3 1/2 ounce balls. Yummy, yummy - and a save for the portion of sourdough that feeding recipes always tell you to throw-a-way: an impossibility for me.

19. MJDC

MJDC Member

my dad used to make wheat thins and graham crackers. Both good, kind of a PITB to make and we never had any storage issues. Of course, he never had any left to store!!

I would like cheese cracker recipe-life is better with chesse.

20. Jacktheknife

I'm glad they turned out well. I still haven't gotten a chance to try these as I have to finish perfecting and mass producing some of my other recipes first. I've got to be ready for when the kids are home all summer.