Butchering gilts that are in heat

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by T. glade, Oct 29, 2004.

1. T. glade

T. glade Guest

Is there anything wrong with butchering a six month old gilt that has came into heat? ( like a taint to the meat or anything like that).
    Thanks

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Wont affect the muscle meat, but if you put the gynecologic organs into sausage it might

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I typically raise only gilts since they are a little easier on my pens and each other where and while I raise them. Occasionally a gilt will be in heat when butcher time comes around and we don't hestitate to proceed. Haven't been able to tell the difference in meat quality whatsoever.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I agree w/ George and Bob. I butchered a gilt last year before I noticed she was in heat. No difference in taste that we noticed.

5. T. Glade

T. Glade Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about then. Thanks again.

P.S. I have about 7 left that are not spoken for and will be ready to butcher pretty quick. If anybody is Interested let me know. I have'nt advertised them yet so all my friends and family could get one that wanted one so the last 7 probly won't last long. I am in south Missouri, in ozark county.
    Thanks.