Building Advice Traditional Stone Fireplace

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deerhunter5555, Sep 5, 2011.

1. deerhunter5555

deerhunter5555 Member

Wondering if anyone has experience building a traditional stone fireplace that our forefathers used to heat and cook with. The kind that were found in every homestead across the country similar to the ones in Cracker Barrel Restraunt chains. Please share any info on size, dimensions, materials, design, footing, etc. that works. Thanks in advance.

2. stormrider27

stormrider27 Well-Known Member

I would really be interested in this too. Mostly because I want to build an outdoor fireplace.

Storm

3. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

I believe in the book "Back To Basics" they recommend the Rumford style, which is an angle side walled design as it gives out the best heat. If you go to rumford.com they have complete plans, including footings, for all different sizes that you can just print off.

4. Harry Chickpea

Harry Chickpea Well-Known Member Supporter

Popular Mechanics old homeowner encyclopedia has complete plans. I suspect the bit on it was taken from one of their magazines back in the 1940s. Those are available online at Google books.

A note of caution. A lot of plans call for a smoke shelf. That can be a place where creosote from the chimney falls and creates a perfect environment for a huge creosote fire that will destroy the chimney. A LOT of old homes burned to the ground from chimney fires.