Bubblers

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by CIW, Dec 13, 2016.

1. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

I have heard for several years about many alternative methods for keeping tank water open in the winter.
    This year, instead of using a coil heater I am using a bubbler designed for a 150 gallon fish aquarium. It is mounted on a wall in the feed shed with a little hose running about 40 ft. out to the tank. You can't even hear it run unless you are standing right next to it.
    Right now I have the hose attached to a steel rod to hold it on the bottom of the tank but I am going to get a hold of some small diameter PVC and plumb it up with a few holes in the bottom side of the pipe.
    It been getting down in the single digits at night and a few °'s above freezing during the day. It keeps a 24" hole open on the coldest nights and the ice that does form is only a skim. The surface of the water is moving too much to really freeze solid. It clears any ice before the next evening.
    I don't believe that this would work as well, in my climate, if I only had a small tank or if the water was shallow. I'm using it in a 500 gallon oval.
    I'm happy with the results and will see if there are any changes when it gets down below 0°F at night.

nehimama and dsmythe like this.
  2. Ziptie

Ziptie Well-Known Member

Please, update if you have time.

These dumb heaters cost a lot to run, they keep burning out, and the critters can't seem to leave them alone.:mad:

I also have a 500 gallon oval. I wanted to build an insulated box for it this winter but ran out of time.

Even though we probably get a little colder than you. I am thinking if I put the tank in an insulated box with the bubbles it might work.

Pics would be nice..on how you eventually set up the PVC pipe.

3. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

Sorry, here in Wisconsin "bubbler" is the slang term used for the type of drinking fountain that used to be found in schools. I was picturing cows lined up waiting their turn while the first one tried to figure out the activation lever.

Welshmom and justusnak like this.
  4. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Well-Known Member

I'm curious how low the temp can get and still be effective. Most of the time -15F is about as cold as it gets around here, but the last few years we've seen -35F several times. If it will handle that, then I'm in...

5. TerriLynn

TerriLynn Well-Known Member

We have been doing this for years and it works really well for us.

6. Ziptie

Ziptie Well-Known Member

Are pic possible? Are you just putting the hose of the pump in or did you attach it to a PVC pipe across the bottom? How big is your tank?

7. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

It was -3° f last night. Still working great.

8. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Well-Known Member

What's the lowest you remember it working?

9. M88A1

M88A1 Do it in the dirt

It's in a 500 gallon oval stock tank the hose is connected to a steel rod to hold it in place at the bottom

10. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Now I'm wondering if you could set it up to run on solar. That's a great idea.

justusnak likes this.
  11. justusnak

justusnak Active Member

What a great idea! Since I do not have electric at our barn, I am wondering if I could put together a few car batteries, jump them together, and use a DC/AC converter to plug the air pump in to. Then maybe take my truck out there and charge the batteries every few days?

12. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

They make an aerator for the live well in a boat that runs on 12 vdc. The ones that I looked at were $34.

13. justusnak

justusnak Active Member

What a good idea!! Thank you!

14. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

I see the glow from a light bulb coming on!

justusnak likes this.
  15. Ziptie

Ziptie Well-Known Member

What size air pumps are you guys using? The OP says they are using 150 gallon. How about you other guys?