Brussel Sprouts/Bugs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Fryegirl, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Fryegirl

Fryegirl Well-Known Member

My B. Sprouts seem to be growing very well. Then today I noticed that some of the leaves have been laced with holes. I assume something is eating them. I wanted to avoid pesticides but I want my BSs!
    Suggestions, please...

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Look for teeny tiny black bugs - flea beetles. They'll leave your leaves lacy like that and they LOVE my potatoes.

If you find you do have flea beetles, neem oil will take care of them (for a while).

3. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

Mine had that problem something awful last year, however in my case I do not believe it was flea beatles. Flea beetles make teeny tiny holes in potato plant leaves (at least in mine) and the monster that was eating my brussel sprouts started out like you described and then BAM! The whole leaf was gone except for the veins. I believe it was a cabbage looper or the cabbage worms, both of which can get these plants pretty good.

4. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

You'll probably find an enormous fat green worm...

Spray w/garlic pspper tea. Blend 2 garlic bulbs & 3-4 habenero peppers & strain out the solids. Add enuf water to make a gallon. Sqirt some dish soap in too. If you have a little liq. seaweed & liq molasses that's good to add too. Rain will wash this off, tho.

Patty

5. tn_junk

tn_junk Living Simply

Having the same problem with my Brussel Sprouts and Cabbage. Can't find any kind of creature anywhere around. No visible bugs, worms or caterpillars.
    Starting to wonder if it might be grasshoppers. Seen more of them, earlier in the year, than I can remember.

galump

6. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

If you have green worms on them, spray with BT.

I have grasshoppers and they eat a hole in the leaf. I'd sure like to know how to do battle with those critters organically.

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

The green worms are the larva of the cabbage butterfly. The butterfly is white and medium sized. If you see the butterflys you can bet you have the worms.