breeding father to daughter?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by needstoknowmore, Nov 4, 2008.

breed father to daughter

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

That is a questions that I am having trouble answering!!! And I am not sure I am comfortable doing it!
    So would you willingly, not an oops, breed father to daughter??

2. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

ETA: Almost forgot, we just got done breeding our Saanan buck (Doc) to his daughter (Cream) yesterday; she has always given us nice kids and is a good milker. Her first daughter (Lopsey) has turned into even a nicer milker than her mother; we are hoping that this breeding produces the same results next spring.

Goats are NOT human despite what some people (and goats!) say to the contray. That said, if you are looking for a specific trait that the father and daughter both have; say they come from great milking lines......then it is called "line breeding". Hopefully that trait comes thru in the resulting offspring. Of course, the bad traits have an equal chance of rearing their ugly heads as well, so it bears careful watch and cull ANY and ALL that don't come up to standards.

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I have done it as I want to enhance the genetics or linebreed on them you could say. IF you do breed father to daughter you must be prepared to cull heavily. As my friend used to put it you can either enhance the genetics you DO want or enhance all the faults in the kids born.

Justine

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

keep the best and eat the rest, simple as that,

5. sungirl

sungirl Well-Known Member

I breeder once told me, "With close linebreeding, you either get very good kids or very bad kids."

Patty.

6. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

again that would be why you only keep the BEST and EAT the rest, if you breed the best to the best regardless of how closely related they are and if you cull heavily, you will be ok,

7. Cannon_Farms

Cannon_Farms Well-Known Member Supporter

I can post the laws of line breeding, imbreeding and so on if any one would like, it makes for a long post, it explains allot.
    But to keep it simple, I would have to agree keep the best, eat the rest, and if its all food, then it really doesnt matter.

It normally takes more than one or even two inbreedings to bring out any really bad stuff, but unless you run a genetic screaning you can never really know.

8. Goat Servant

Goat Servant Well-Known Member Supporter

NTKM, Last yr I used a buck who was line bred to a T on both sides; with my original stock sprinkled with some of the same genetics.
    The Boer/Nubian kids all went for meat. Except for one. She does have a split teat but Im keeping her cause of her great barrel and her dam has been throwing quads, which I have found out is genetic. At least on the dam's side???
    No matter what we do, there will always be culls. You've seen my dippy back doe. Where that came from is a mystery cause no one else has it. But I dont want to perpetuate that trait. And she didnt come from extensive line breeding.

9. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with all of the above. I would just be reluctant if there was already some close linebreeding.......there would need to be some trait that I was looking for..........the closer you line breed, usually the more consistent the type you will get.......and you are likely to either love them or hate them....because it will bring out the best and the worst.

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The consistancy of type is huge in dairy goats. Just make sure the type is of a hereitable nature. Also the fastest way to find out recessive problems in your new young guy is to breed him back to some daughters. I will be doing two this year. Vicki

11. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I just paid a lot of money for a buckling that is a father/daughter breeding! ;-)

Tracy

12. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that Tracy. I know my Nic is his own grandpa also :) His dam and his sire are from the same breeding on the sire side and related on the dam side. He carries identical grandsires as several of my does he is bred to, has daughters out of...etc...

Condensing the gene pool is the only way to consistancy in Nubians. When purchasing stock to start with, let the breeder keep and prove their outcrosses, always buy linebred. Vicki