Bread Bakers...How do you store your bread?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Loriann1971, May 24, 2012.

1. Loriann1971

Loriann1971 Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually wrap up my loaves in foil to keep them fresh, but now that I am baking all of our bread, I am going through way too much foil. How do you store your homemade bread?

2. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

It depends on the weather, how long I think it will last and the type of bread.

But some of it goes into paper bags.. just slide it into a sandwich sized brown bag.
    Some goes into plastic bread bags... professional grade (I bake for part of my living)
    Some of it gets wrapped in flour sack cloth.

And some of it goes into the fridge and some doesn't.

Last edited: May 24, 2012

3. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member Supporter

the zipper lock storage bags. I know...they may seem pricey, but they preserve bread for a long time. like the week I use bread. I freeze, so those zip lock freezer bags are AMAZING.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
    Ardie/WI and Sonshine like this.
  4. meanwhile

meanwhile Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a mix of things too - some paper, some plastic wrap and some in a tea towel. When it goes in the freezer, we use two layers of any type of plastic wrap. We got a lucky break last year and someone gave us a whole lot of clean, new small size grocery type bags. They are the perfect size for one loaf and so we double wrap it and freeze.

On the counter we just put a tea towel around it if we know it will be eaten fast - usually my family will eat two whole loaves in a day - right after it is baked. Then, they slow down to 1/2 loaf a day unless there is cornbread around.

We have a big rubbermaid type container too and sometimes we put it in there but not for long. The container seems to hold too much moisture and causes mold faster.

Just experiment - you will find what works best for your baking and climate.

One tip: Be sure to label bread that you freeze! We bake an onion-walnut-wheat loaf but one son hates it. He likes the regular wheat loaf and it is not always easy to tell what type bread is in the freezer. So - we label it.

5. Sonshine

Sonshine Well-Known Member Supporter

You can also re-use the ziplock bags.

6. Sonshine

Sonshine Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if they still sell them, but Tupperware use to have a bread keeper that works pretty good.

7. farmerDale

farmerDale Well-Known Member Supporter

We freeze our bread. we make all our own bread, and we just re-use our bread bags, over and over again. We make about 4-8 loaves a week, and we just rotate through the bags. Only when one rips do we get a new bag. It always stays fresh, just like it was made an hour ago!

8. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I use plain plastic bags. They sit on the counter top.

9. Suburbanhmstedr

Suburbanhmstedr Well-Known Member

I store all of our home-made bread in two containers - my stomach and my husband's stomach! :)

TJN66, babygoats!, JIL and 1 other person like this.
  10. Elsbet

Elsbet Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah... um... it doesn't last long enough to get stored around here. I bake GF bread, always tastes nasty if it sits too long, anyway, so we build a meal around a loaf when I do bake it.
    Before we were GF, I used to bake a loaf a day. It didn't last long enough to store, either.

11. pumpkin

pumpkin Well-Known Member

Home made bread around here is an endangered species. It has a very short life. I bake and then keep two loaves in my bread box, two in the refrigerator and two in the freezer.

12. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

I do this-BUT, I read a while back that bread bags from the store actually have a preservative embedded in the plastic. I know,,,,kinda creepy,true-I don't know. But I do know that people actually reuse them for that reason.

13. lemonthyme7

lemonthyme7 Well-Known Member Supporter

What I do also except i usually am not making enough at a time to freeze - just a couple at a time for fresh use. I like to save the bread bags from the larger store loaves of bread like the beefsteak rye and the other larger brands as many times my homemade loaves are a little tall to fit into the normal sandwich type loaf bags. Save a few bread ties to reuse also.

14. chewie

chewie Well-Known Member Supporter

I work at that lodge in the fall, where we use countless loaves of bread. I make full use of this situation, saving every bread bag, coffee jar, etc., so I have tons of storage for myself all year. also, my daughter works at a quick shop that has a deli, so another source of free bags.

usually the bread doesn't make it to the freezer, but if it does, i double bag it, and it seems to work just fine.

15. BoldViolet

BoldViolet Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine gets stored around my mid-section.

16. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Paper bag, on the counter or in the bread box. I bake every day, though, and bread never lasts more than 24 hours here :)

17. Suzyq2u

Suzyq2u Well-Known Member

I have a stash of store variety bread bags I use. I've been slacking on baking with #3 on the way asap - but man that sounds good ---- think I may need to make some bread tomorrow :)

18. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

I bought large bread bags at a health food store. They hold 2-3 loaves each. 3 loaves usually lasts us 3 days. So it doesn't really get a chance to go bad. If they are slower at eating the bread, I put it in a freezer bag, suck the air out and stick it in the freezer.

19. wanda1950

wanda1950 Well-Known Member

I get large twist tie bags at Walmart. They are inexpensive & I use clothespins for the closure.

20. Chickensittin

Chickensittin Well-Known Member

I just bought these! Glad to know that they work. I have been using generic ziploc and am tired of trying to line up the seal and have had problems with the top tearing. I may have to try the zipper top bags as well.