Best Weed Whacker? Cheap or expensive?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by meanwhile, Apr 24, 2012.

1. meanwhile

meanwhile Well-Known Member Supporter

What is the best weed whacker to buy? We have been doing a lot of yard work for homeowners who live out of town. We have gotten a lot of new requests that require hours and hours of weed whacking.

We had an inexpensive Honda brand that came from Home Depot but when we took it for repairs the man said it was not worth fixing.

We have an expensive Steele brand and it works good but was really expensive and did not come with the blade or any other attachments.

Is it smarter to buy less expensive brands and just use them till they wear out? Or is it better to buy a more expensive brand and hope it lasts longer?

We need one Weed Whacker to use with the string on it and the other with a blade. If we have two, then two people can work at once.

Thanks for tips.

2. ryanthomas

ryanthomas Well-Known Member

Shindaiwa makes some of the best I've ever used. They last a while, but more importantly they're really well balanced so they're comfortable to use. I hate weed whackers, but if I need to use one, that's my choice.

3. HeelSpur

HeelSpur Well-Known Member

Don't buy a troy built, very hard to start and runs best when theres only 2" or less of string. Longer the string the more bogged down it gets.

Tracy Rimmer and Drizler like this.
  4. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I consider them to be replaceable items rather than having them repaired, so I tend to buy cheaper ones. BUT if you can tinker with 2 cycle engines and don't have to pay $50+ for a shop to fix them, then the more expensive ones would probably work better and last longer.

5. meanwhile

meanwhile Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks - where are the shindawe sold?

6. coup

coup Well-Known Member

how ever you spell it,, big shindawia,,,my son has one we both have used and abused for 10 years....i also have a old shindawia i bought used and been cutting about 3 acres with it..........

7. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Several of the landscapers in this area (including DS21) are using and recommending Echo this season.

8. used2bcool13

used2bcool13 Piney Girl Supporter

Shindaiwa brand product is manufactured and distributed by ECHO Incorporated, headquartered in Lake Zurich, IL, a Chicago suburb.

FYI

9. oregon woodsmok

oregon woodsmok Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are doing hours of weed whacking, buy a good one. Husqvarna makes one that is so beautifully balanced and ergonomic that it is a lot less tiring to use. It makes a huge difference in how your back feels when you are finished.

10. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

Husqvarna is re badged Electrolux.... Ive worked under a certified Stihl mechanic. and id never own a Stihl.. either spend the bucks and buy a made in japan Tanka or redmax. or buy a cheapo from homedepot. Echo is okay as well.

11. SparkyMaine

SparkyMaine Well-Known Member

I do a lot of weed whacking on my property, and until last year used only a curved shaft toro. It gets the job done, but at the expense of taking a long time and being a pain in the... back!

I have been considering a straight shaft trimmer from a better manufacturer, but I unexpectedly tried a different route last year - picked up a used wheeled craftsman trimmer for $75. It's 6hp, does not bother the back at all, and makes fast work of a LOT of weeds, grass, briars, and anything else you might consider clearing with a trimmer.

It might not be the best option, depending on what you have to clear (works well for larger areas where there are fewer obstacles), but if you can find an inexpensive used one, it may be worth trying it out.

12. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Shindaiwa. I bought one in 2003 iirc and I've used the heck out of it and it still runs just as good as when I got it. A friend bought one after trying mine and his is still going strong too.

Well worth the money imo.

13. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

if you are buying one that is battery, make sure you can buy replacement batteries, sometimes the battery will fail after only a month or so and then you are stuck with something you can not use or replace batteries for.

We prefer Ryobi, but there are also lots of other battery sets of tools out there

14. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

Problem is the Shindaiwa you bought in 2003 is no where near as good as the ones you buy now..

15. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Don't get a Grasshog with the autofeed! It will go through line like nobody's business, and those spools are EXPENSIVE! :eek:

16. flewism

flewism Well-Known Member

I run Echo srm 225 for few years now. It does a great job, I trim around the 3 acres we cut weekly. It also has a 5 year consumer warranty.

17. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Stihl or an Echo.

18. foxfiredidit

foxfiredidit Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm weed wacking around two acres full of big oak trees where the one Echo I've had for 4 years has never failed to start and work properly. I've used two plugs and several air filters is about all I can recall. I will power through small woody stems as well. Not bad on string use either.