Best place to buy reasonably priced handmade quilts?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Quilting' started by farmergirl, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Got my favorite quilt on ebay. Well, my favorite quilts were made by my grandma, granny and hubby's nana, but you know what I mean! I've also found some nice quilts at Kohl's on clearance.

2. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm near Austin.

3. keljonma

keljonma Well-Known Member

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Don't know if you've found one yet, but you can occasionally find quilt tops at yard sales and then tie or quilt them yourself. Is the quilt you want for utility or looks? Looks, go Walmart. :nono: Utility, it's hard to beat a denim bedspread. I've never put batting in mine because I don't know if I'd be able to lift or wash them if I did. They are very heavy and warm, and you don't even need to finish the edges...they make a nice fringe.

If you're looking to buy a completely handmade quilt, be prepared to spend quite a lot of money.

I've tried to sell mine...a handmade crib quilt for only $40. It was in the store for months before I finally brought it back home for my daughter. I'm so glad, because it was worth a lot more than that.

In fact....a friend and I just met with a gal a few days ago to show and tell our quilts. She was making potholder sized miniature quilts without any batting at all, and selling them on Ebay for $17. She sounded very proud of the price. She said it takes her 6-7 hours to make each one. For the time alone, she would be better off pumping gas or serving fast food. :rolleyes: So you can just imagine what a full sized handmade quilt might go for. If you can get one that you love for under $500-$600 dollars, it's a steal.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Quilt shop quality fabric now average $8-9 per yard. A queen size quilt will take 6 yards of backing fabric alone. At least 13 yards, total. Batting, roughly $25-$40 It will take multiple spools of thread to piece and quilt it. Average cost of a spool of thread, $5.

Add in labor... now you all might laugh, but I wouldn't consider making a queen size quilt for hire for under $1000. I'll make them as gifts, but not for hire. The labor that goes into them, whew.

For the life of me, I can't see how a quilt can be bought for $150. I quilt, nonstop. A quilt at that price must be made of the poorest quality fabric and threads available, and isn't likely to hold up. Slave labor. :shrug:

The Wandering Quilter's Life in a Box!

6. ELOCN

ELOCN Well-Known Member

The quilts sold at Penney's, Target, and other similar stores ARE made in China! They use slave labor in China. They use child labor in China.

7. QuiltingLady2

QuiltingLady2 Well-Known Member

AMEN!

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic here, but it's the same with counted cross stitch. I set the price on them & people think it's way too high. Hand made anything is worth the price you pay. My mom does quilts. She hand sews them & hand quilts them. Tiny, tiny stitches. They should bring at least $500 in my opinion. If someone doesn't think they are worth that, they have no idea how much time is involved.

9. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

Farmgirl, I have an overstock and return merchandise store and we have our quilts on sale for 25.00 each. They are mostly from Domestications. Also some from Penny's and Macy's. I don't usually solicit on HT and wouldn't but thought I would throw this in because of the cheap price.
    They are selling very quickly but if you will tell me the colors and style you are looking for I will look and see if we have it.

10. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Good discussion! I would ask if Farmergirl has any Farmers Markets, Craft Fairs, SCA get togethers and the like around her. Up north of us we have one and it features booths that carry so much hand made stuff that it's really fun to visit just for that.

I don't know if the poster knew the difference between "handmade" and "manufactured"? Not sure how she would interpret the term? But there's Hand Sewn Quilts...made and pieced all by hand. There's Hand Made Quilts like most all of us quilters do...some may be partly by machine and maybe some by hand...there's All Machine Made Quilts which is usually what I do...the piecing and quilting and everything is on my Bernina machine...and then there's the foreign made Chinese Manufactured product etc which is a whole different catatgory.

It gets a bit complicated! LOL So, I guess it depends on what a person wants and the look they are going for.

There is a reason why so many of us quilters just make quilts for gifts. I can't get up any enthusiasm at all for making a quilt for a stranger.Has to be a real special person that I love to get a quilt from me. Not enough hours, weeks or years(not to mention brain cells!)to get something done just to sell.

Farmergirl..visit some quilt shows and some shops, Big garage sales, craft shows etc. and see what you find. Never know..just the right thing might come up that is within your price range and that you really like.

In your shoes I would also contact some people who do commercial long arm machine quilting. Maybe someone has left a quilt there and never picked it up??

Good luck..I bet you know more about quilts now than you did before. LOL

LQ

11. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Turns out the bed in only a "full" size, not queen. It's for a guest bedroom that has simple furnishings and subdued colors. I like purples and blues and greens, also reds and denims. I really like the look of the "patchwork" type spreads, with little pieces of different fabrics. Do you have a website where I can look at some of the quilts?

12. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't have a website. I didn't think ahead about how I could get you a picture of our various quilts. I guess it was a bad idea. Sorry. I just read so many posts where people are seeking something we have and I want them to get our good prices. Wish you all lived close.

Barbara Boyd likes this.
  13. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

Well, I guess we can all agree that $500-$100 is probably not what most people would consider reasonable. I make my own quilts from start to finish knowing full well I can't sell what I make for anywhere near what it would cost for fabric and time. I usually just keep them or make them for friends and family because they are special. That being said, I would be willing to consider making one for you Farmergirl, if you buy the fabric and the pattern isn't too complicated. A nice little nine patch or charm quilt wouldn't be much trouble to put together and would be pretty reasonably priced as far as your fabric and my time. If your interested pm me for details. I can piece the top and machine quilt it for you as well.

HorseMom and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  14. Barbara Boyd

Barbara Boyd New Member

I am a quilter but don't sell the quilts I make. Occasionally I will sell a nice estate quilt on eBay in the $150 - $300 range. If you keep looking you can find beautiful handmade quilts on eBay for about $150. Measure your bed's top mattress first to see what measurements you need. Read the description carefully. Read the seller's feedback. Ask questions, such as, "Has the quilt been washed? Is it clean? Any stains? Is the batting thick or thin? Is it 100% cotton fabric? How old is it?".

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  15. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

I also quilt whether by hand and machine.
    Right now I am working on 3 D Dragon hand pieced quilt in Queen size. There are approximately 6590 2.5 inch square material fabric in 5 colors: Charcoal, Hunter Green, Medium Blue, tone on tone white, little bit of gold. Then I will work on Double Wedding Ring done in Star War fabric also in Queen size. Yearly I participated in charity project. This year it's Project Linus my National Guard Spouse club are making 60 blankets. Before you ask I am the Veteran, but I help out the Spouse club periodically. Good luck in finding your quilt farmergirl.

AngieM2 and HorseMom like this.
  16. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the price of quilts has gone up since this conversation started TEN YEARS ago!

Mon

17. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

18. HorseMom

HorseMom Well-Known Member Supporter

MoBookworm, I would love to see the dragon quilt, my daughter loves dragons!

I must say I'm terribly disappointed in everyone's attitude toward the OP and their snid remarks! No wonder Quilter's get a bad reputation for being snobs! The OP said she did not know how to quilt, that does not mean she's uneducated on the cost of handmade products or quilts. For Pete's sake they are on a homesteading forum!!! Second she said reasonably priced, not cheap! Did anyone ask what she considered reasonable? Not until after many rude comments! The high and mighty attitude in this thread is exactly why I won't join a guild. Y'all want to educate the OP, but did any of you take the time to educate yourselves on what she already knew, and to clarify her actual thoughts? Not all of you were rude, but I believe the OP was scared off by the time anyone asked for clarification. I would have been more then happy to help the OP for a little more then the cost of materials. Why, because I enjoy sewing, and I would have known the quilt was going somewhere where it would be appreciated and used. Not everyone that is gifted a quilt appreciates it or wants it.
    Heidi

19. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

Horsemom, this thread is 10 years old and hadn't been updated until a newbie with one post responded to it last week. I doubt many of the people on the thread are even around any more. I can understand your anger at some of the responses from 10 years ago, but it seems a bit late to be chastising them now. However, I found most of the responses very helpful, one person even listed several places the OP could find handmade quilts in the Austin area.