Best bred for pet?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by croston, Sep 2, 2003.

1. croston

croston Member

My grandson is 8 and very much wants a pet rabbit.I think he is old enough to take on the responsibiltiy with some supervision.What is a good breed to buy? There are so many it is confusing.

2. bittybleat

bittybleat Member

According to rabbit lore, the larger the breed the calmer. Of course not all bunnies are the same and it's just a generality, but maybe try looking at the large lop breeds.

New Zealand Whites are also supposed to be calm and make good pets.

English Spots are kind of high-strung, as are the smaller breeds like Netherland Dwarves.

I have a Harlequin that has a perky but affectionate personality. My mini-lop cross (who has upright ears anyway) hasn't tamed well.

A long time ago we had a WONDERFUL, big male rabbit. He was a Satin, and made a great pet.

3. AndreaR

AndreaR Well-Known Member

We just picked up some New Zealand whites(7-10 lbs) last Saturday. They are good tempered but too large for my younger children to hold. We are awaiting our mini-rexes in 2 weeks...good variety of color, velveteen fur and easier in size to handle ( 3-5 lbs). My twin sons (8 yrs) were very happy with being able to hold these mini-rexes before deciding to buy them. These rabbits are good tempered, curious and not flighty types. Hope this info helps as we did a lot of research! No offense to other breed lovers out there! :D

4. dnurse

dnurse Member

I agree with AndreaR. I have 5 mini-rexes and find they are by far the nicest breed for kids. (no offense to anyone). I have a NZ who is very sweet, but they get quite large for kids. I have a Netherland Dwarf, but find they are somewhat squeamish. Mini-lops are also a nice breed for kids, but I have found through my own experience, that mini-rexes are very calm & sweet (of course with anything else, as long as they are handled correctly and socialized). Of course, I have 2 flemish giants & they are truly gentle giants, but again, way way too big for kids to handle. Good luck with whatever breed you select. Donna

5. bittybleat

bittybleat Member

Hmmmmm I think I need some mini-Rexes ;)

6. Robin Pundzak

Robin Pundzak Active Member

Here is the Holland Lop Specialty Club page, with lots of pictures

http://www.hlrsc.com/

Robin

7. Robin Pundzak

Robin Pundzak Active Member

My New Zealands are far too high strung for children. They don't bite, but can give some very nasty scratches. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Holland Lops. They're a miniature breed, very sweet and docile, adorable, and perfect for kids.
    Robin

8. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

My daughter is 8 and her pet is a black dutch doe. She has been great and loves to get out to "play". Just be sure he knows to watch it carefully they will taste or chew almost everything, esp. electrical cords.

9. Javert1969

Javert1969 New Member

Hi:

My son has Jersey Woolies and he loves htem :) They have wonderful personalities and are very affectionete. They do have long wool but it is very easy care and low matting. Plus they come in quite a fun range of colours :)
    I also like mini-Rexes for pets - another kid friendly breed.

BFN
    Kim
    Ontario Canada

10. BusyBunny

BusyBunny New Member

Haven't been around in a while but my favorite rabbits are the Dutch. I raise NZ but kept 1 chocolate Dutch when I got rid of all my smaller breeds. The Dutch seem to be more personable to me than the Hollands (MPO please don't take offense anybody!) and only get to be about 4 pounds. The bucks seem to be calmer than the does in any breed but should probably be neutered if you are looking for a house pet. My other suggestion is to get the bunny at weaning and handle it ALOT. My Magoo will tolerate a lot rougher handling than any other of my rabbits because he is used to it. The caution about electrical wires is critical, there is a reason they are nicknamed "rabbit licorice"!

Terry

11. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

JERSEY WOOLIES!!!!! Hands down. Here is a listing of the breeds I (family) has had experience with (back in the day.. we used to show some):

Jersey Woolies, Mini Rex, English Angora, Checkered Giant, Champange D'Argent, Holland Lop, Californian, New Zealand White.

We got best opposite of breed at the state show in '93 (I think '93) for my Jersey Woolie buck. The Woolies were bred more specifically as a nice pet rabbit and calm temperment was a part of the origianl plan for their genetics. Their wool is not such that one would want to use it to spin (although I DID a little just to see), and yet it is not a 'commitement' to groom constantly, either. Once a week is about all you need. Soooooo.... my vote goes to Jersey Woolies. You will not find a nicer, sweeter, CALMER rabbit breed. (Even if the kid gets bored and forgets to 'tame' it!:)