Bending Rebar

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sunflower-n-ks, Oct 15, 2012.

1. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

How hard is it to bend rebar and have it stay bent?

I want to put a half hoop house against a chicken house and want to use rebar for the supports for the fencing. I prefer there not be much tension against it. It will not need a lot of bend.

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The small stuff like #4 (1/2") and smaller aren't hard to put gradual bends in if you're working with a long piece. For shorter pieces you can use a piece of pipe on it for leverage.

3. freegal

freegal Well-Known Member Supporter

I used a bench vise and a mallet to bend rebar to pin down my garden arches that I made from hog panels. Easy enough for this gal to do! It stays bent however you shape it.

4. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

The ribs on the rebar will likely wear heavily on the plastic cover. Using hot roll steel rod may serve you better.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you are asking about putting a gradual smooth bend in a long piece of rebar to make a fabric building support.

I think a hollow smooth thinwall tube might work out better.

--->Paul

6. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

1/2" or 3/4" PVC may work as good or better. The pipe bends nicely especially if it is set out in the sun for a couple hours before working with it. The fittings are pretty cheap, too and you can get 90s, tees, 3-way corners, 4-way tees, etc. To secure it to the ground, stick a 3' piece of straight rebar into the ground, then stick the PVC pipe over it to keep it in place. We make hoops for our driveway for Christmas decorations using 3/4" pvc. Easy to make a hoop-style greenhouse this way too. Just a suggestion.

7. I_don't_know

I_don't_know Well-Known Member

Could you use a pipe bender on the rebar? Never tried it; has anyone out there? A hair dryer works great on PVC. Tried that one.

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

9. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Cattle panels make a smooth support and bend easily

10. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Be careful when bending the rebar. Depending on where it shipped from (China comes to mind) the quality varies. I've had bars break when bending, sent out some wicked shards.

11. PFS farmer

PFS farmer Well-Known Member

I have taken pieces of rod or rebar and tack welded them to my welding table or something an inch more less apart depending on what was going on and stick whatever in between them and just bend them around to whatever shape I wanted.

Anyways I think the cattle panel is probably the best idea. You can get the hog panel with smaller squares.

Let us know what you decide and dont forget the pictures.

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Rebar is made from the cheapest steel available and when bent will stay bent.

13. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

Rebar also rusts very easily and heavily, so long with the ribs, then the rust, I'd think the plastic wouldn't last long at all as someone else pointed out earlier.