Banding or castrating pygmy goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by judymayes, Mar 20, 2007.

1. judymayes

judymayes JKL-Equine Fam Pet Rescue

I was wondering when it is too old to band or castrate a Pygmy Goat Buck kid and in everyones opinion whis is the prefered choice of method used today banding or castrating
    Judy mayes :)

2. bergy5

bergy5 Well-Known Member

It is never too late. We try to always band early. This year we had two boys out of a new buck & wanted a longer look at them. We just clamped both at 6 months this week, no problems. We will not cut.

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I agree, it is never to late. I know of two pygmy bucks that were recently banded. One was about 2 and the other over a year. You do need a special banded, like the bull type to do it though.

4. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

I cut mine. However, never after 4 weeks, there is too much chance of heavy bleeding after that age. I would call my vet after 4 weeks to take care of cutting him. I prefer cutting to banding personally. They seem to get over the ordeal rather quickly.

Laura

5. Liese

Liese Namaste

We use the Burdizo method; quick and from studies shown to be the least painful method. The bucklings are still too young but we just finished 2 of the ram lambs at 4 weeks old. If you aren't familiar with the procedure look at Fiasco Farms web site - she has a very good tutorial. We use Rescue Remedy an hour before and then another dose during.

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

We band our but never before the age of 6 weeks. I could not imagine banding a buck at two years old. I had two bucks that I wanted to see how they were going to grow. I took them to the vet, paind $25.00 each and he did it. They were 9 months old. OI would thing banding a goat that old would be WAY to much stress on them and pain.