Arbuckle Mountain Original Fried Pies

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Cabin Fever, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Why have fried pies been kept a secret from me! On our way home from Texas yesterday, I got to sample some of the most delicious food on this earth. The Arbuckle Mountains and the fried pie shop are going to be a mandatory pit stop for us - in both directions - every time we go visiting to Texas! yummmmm!

[​IMG]

OUVickie, didaho and pattycake like this.
  2. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

Careful, moderation you know. Thanks for sharing. Don't know about apricot but PEACH, OH BOY....James

3. KMA1

KMA1 Well-Known Member

Probly cause o' whare ye live. Down here in God's country, the Heart of Dixie, both of my grandmothers made all kinds of fried pies, apple, peach, pear, and chocolate most ever week a couple times a week. Mother didn't make um quite so often.

DamnearaFarm and countryfied2011 like this.
  4. debbiekatiesmom

debbiekatiesmom Well-Known Member

when i was a kid my granny and her sister made fried pies and sold them for a dime a piece! she couldn't keep enough of them. they made raisin, cherry, pineapple, peach...you name it. sure do miss them and my granny, too! wish i knew her secret recipe!

5. Sonshine

Sonshine Well-Known Member Supporter

Never had an apricot fried pie, but my Grandmother made the best apple and peach fried pies.

6. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well now you started it (sitting here having an apple sauce donut and a cup of hot cocoa) Grandma always had a lot of extra eggs. She would make Egg custard fried pies. OH MAN were those good....James

7. wanda1950

wanda1950 Well-Known Member

Mine, too. Sometimes we could talk Mama into making us some for breakfast--these she baked instead of fried. When Mama died last June, I inherited her big jar of dried apples. Bittersweet to eat them & think of her.

Poor Cabin Fever--it's the result of being a yankee. Wish you could have one of Mama's straight from the frying pan with some powdered sugar sprinkled on it.

Marianne likes this.
  8. Texasdirtdigger

Texasdirtdigger Texasdirtdigger Supporter

LOVE me some Apricot Fried Pies!!

SteveD(TX) likes this.
  9. hercsmama

hercsmama Well-Known Member

:bored:Well heck. Now I need to go make some. So much for sitting on my behind today.
    I'm thinking, Apple, and peach!:nanner:

10. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

The deep fried pies are so good, but I love and miss the apple stack cakes that everyone used to serve.

luvrulz and DamnearaFarm like this.
  11. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Recipes?....anyone? Don't think I've ever had a fried pie. Looks like they are cut in a circle with filling placed in the center and then folded over crimping the edges. That part I can figure out but the ingredients not.

12. oldmania

oldmania Well-Known Member Supporter

Love fried apple pie. My mom made great ones. They were a staple in my family. Shows you can take the girl out of Kentucky but you can't take Kentucky out of the girl.

13. sewsilly

sewsilly Well-Known Member

Any pastry recipe will work. Its' simply flour, shortening/butter/lard (you pick) and water. (Edited to add a pinch of salt) Rolled out, cut in circles, filled with whatever your heart desires (jam/preserves/cooked up dried apples/left over sweet potatoes or even meat/potato mixtures) and fried till brown in a good cast iron skillet.

Poor Cabin fever... we didn't realize you had been so deprived or we surely would have shared by now.

and yes, now you've gone and done it... must run make some for lunch.

dawn

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  14. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Dawn. Another two questions...what kind of oil for frying and are they deep fried? Since they sound so delicious, I'm going to try making them soon.

15. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

Mom used lard we rendered from the pig killings to fry the pies in a cast iron skillet. It's difficult to come by this lard nowadays.

16. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

They are so easy to make - called DH and told him to make me up some savory meat filling and grab a couple of jars of fruit sauce of his choice (he grabbed peach and cherry) and I'll make some for supper when I get home.

I have premixed pie crust (home made) so whipping up something like this takes almost no time.

I prefer mine pan fried over deep fried. Sometimes I'll make up a few dozen and put them in the freezer. I like to heat them up, but DH prefers to eat them as a frozen snack.

17. gran26

gran26 Well-Known Member

I dip them in milk before frying, sort of a quick dip; I think that is to prevent the flour
    adhering to the pastry from burning in the oil. Probably helps to seal the edges also.

Yes, we love our fried pies. Try blueberry!

18. Island of Blueb

Island of Blueb Island of Blueb Supporter

The lady that showed me how to make them told me. . .

The dough has a little less shortening than pie dough.

She said "about like biscuit dough."

We fry them in whatever fat or oil we have handy, usually Crisco.

Wild fresh blueberries with a little sugar and a little less flour.

The blueberries we have here are really juicy.

These are awesome to make when camping or on a fishing boat!

Will get you points galore!

19. 606JAE

606JAE Well-Known Member

Grandma uses canned biscuits for the crust.

20. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting that you posted this CF, we dropped one of our son's off at the bus station in Lebanon a few days ago (he works out of KC as a truck driver) and right across the road was the old Wrinks Market that had recently reopened. We decided to take a tour and they sell Arbuckles fried pies and Ariposa coffee and man they are indeed good.

Here is a link to the market...at least we can buy a fried pie close by...what are you going to do? HAHAHA

» A new wrinkle on Wrink’s Market Route 66 News