Apples--cider, cider vinegar, applesauce

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by bourbonred, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bourbonred

bourbonred Well-Known Member Supporter

Newbie canner here!! I canned my first 3 bottles of pickles this week. Apples are coming in locally and I want to see what I can do. I am interested in canning juice, cider, and cider vinegar. Do they can well? I have found online recipes for cider and for acv, but none of them mentioned storage other than the frig. How do you handle apples? What do you do first? Applesauce? Applebutter? What's your method for getting apples preserved?

2. springvalley

springvalley Family Jersey Dairy Supporter

We don`t can ACV, just keep in a cool dark place. We do however can a bunch of applesauce. > Thanks Marc

3. Limon

Limon Well-Known Member

Applesauce, juice and apple butter all can very well. I've never heard of anyone canning cider before; I can't imagine there's a big problem with it going bad, but someone who makes cider might have better insight on that one.

Applesauce is about the easiest thing in the world to make. Apple butter is made by adding sugar and spice to applesauce, so that's probably a good thing to start with. You can strain juice from cooked apples, but a fruit press of some type would be a lot more efficient if you want to put up any large amount.

ETA - you can also make apple jelly.