age to butcher turkeys

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by greenhorn, Oct 13, 2010.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn Well-Known Member

I have seen some conflicitng info about what age to process these birds. They will be 21-22 weeks on Thanksgiving day. Is that too young, too old, just right?? They are Broad Breasted White and Broad Breasted Bronze. Also, is brining really as good as I hear?

They are free ranging today, but I plan to pen them up in a large horse stall (there are only 11) for about a week or 2 before they are processed to fatten up and because I'm really sick or Turkey poop everywhere. The phone guy came out today and they all ran to greet (attack) him...he was not amused.

Thanks.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Yes, you might want to start processing a week before Tday and let them age in the fridge some. Are you going to do them all at the same time?

3. greenhorn

greenhorn Well-Known Member

I am because I'm taking them to Plucky's Poultry Processing in Utica, OH. The only thing I may do is process some then for whomever wants one for Thanksgiving and then save a few out for Christmas. What's considered "ideal" for that breed? I also can't decide what to charge, but $2.50/lb. is what Whole Foods gets out here. That's what I charged for my chickens.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

About 4-5 months is when most people do them. Usually if they are going to save some longer they butcher the toms first and let the hens wait.

Can't help on the price, that is usually pretty local.