Affordable fencing to protect garden from wild life?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by VTHomestead, Mar 25, 2013.

1. VTHomestead

VTHomestead Active Member

Good morning,

I've been going round and round with how we're going to protect our garden from wild life. We live in the mountains of vermont, with plenty of deer tracks on our property.

our planned garden area is going to be 10 20'x3' garden beds with 2ft of space between each bed for wheel barrow or whatever.

My question is, can anyone recommend some materials that will prevent deer from getting in, looks nice, and doesn't break the bank. I intend for this fencing to be a permanent fixture of our micro farm so I'd like for it to look nice, but we don't want a "privacy fence."

I'm really at a loss for what to use. We've though about using trees from the property and building a fence out of that. Or a combination of making posts/frames from trees and using rolls of bamboo or reed. I've heard the fence doesn't need to be as tall if its solid because deer won't jump a solid fence if they can't see their landing.

We're dealing with white tails here.

2. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

With the top pointed out from the garden... It doesn't hurt to tie streamer on the wires too..

[​IMG]

3. VTHomestead

that tiny picture is near impossible to read! but i get the point, still doesn't answer the question. I'm looking for nice looking materials to build a fence from that are low cost, I have a general Idea of how i want to build it.

4. simi-steading

simi-steading Well-Known Member Supporter

For what I posted you can make the posts from straight saplings.. Then use wire... Nothing thick needed... just space close together to mess with their depth perception, and use little streamers on it... They won't try to jump it if it is high enough and wide enough.

Also, you could stick Bamboo in the ground like posts close together (use old cuts, dried not green) and then weave more bamboo between that.. Leave the old branches on it.. .Those will stick the deer in the eye and will cause they not to want to get near the fencing.

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

It may not look pretty but the discarded nets off fishing boats can be hung from the branches of trees to make a deer proof fence. Last I checked you'd be doing them a favor carrying it off. If you have to, offer $100 for a pile of net laying on the dock.

There's no deer alive that can jump as high as you can hang that netting.

6. VTHomestead

Is that about 4' high? I'm thinking something along those lines w/ pie plates or some other noise/flashy scare mechanism. Then if needed add a temporary deer fence to the top. I could replace the metal posts with hardwood posts and replace them as needed going forward. Add a naturally made pergola entrance and I think i'll be pretty happy with that!

i may even add a 1ft section to the top that angles out. thanks for the ideas! That field fencing will be great for our tomatillo!

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

4 foot high?!?!?!? That fence is taller than you are! It's 5 foot high!

kasilofhome likes this.
  8. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7

Ten beds with each being 20'x3' and 2' in between will be about 54'x24'if you fence the entire area. Are your beds going to be "raised" or simply on top of your soil?
    I can tell you what we did that worked and wasn't too expensive, though it does NOT look that pretty. We used regular field fencing and topped it with another 3' of welded fencing, letting the top fence flop outward. Having the bottom fence 6" from the ground and the top fence a foot above that fence, created about 9 ft of fencing. So far the deer have not gotten in the garden. (You can grow something like Virginia Creeper that deer do not like too as it will grow like a vine all over the fence and eventually does provide some privacy.)

Another idea that has worked for our nut trees in the back where deer love to roam is to create a 4' fence twice, each being only 3' from the other. Deer will not jump the outside fence as they will land on the inside fence; so this worked. For a spot only 54'x 24' this might work best for you. Fencing can easily be decorated by growing vines on it that will draw in good bugs, like morning glories

9. VTHomestead

our beds will be on top of the soil.. this sounds about like what we had planned on doing, but i dont know about the double fencing, was aware of the technique, but seems like a waste of space, I think i'd rather just add the extra section on top.

10. nc_mtn

nc_mtn Well-Known Member

Look into a wattle fence. It was easy to do (we only built one knee high for looks and to discourage the chicks).

11. COWS

COWS Well-Known Member

I have deer which get into everything and raccoons which get into corn. I have an electric fence, one wire about chest high for the deer and 2 strands 3 and 6 inches off the ground for the raccoons. Has worked so far.

COWS

Ozarks Tom likes this.
  12. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

Cows is right. We did it a little differently though. 1 wire 4', and 1 wire 8". Wipe the wire with corn oil on a regular basis, and everything will get the message. (turn off fence before wiping)

13. Copperhead

Copperhead Well-Known Member

Think backward: build a perimeter fence that will keep dogs IN! Add dogs. Deer will stay OUT!!!

I am really liking 3' 2x4 wire with a hot strand inset 6 inches from fence, 6 inches from ground and another hot wire about 6 inches over the top of the woven wire. Fenced 2 Bassett Hounds in my blueberry patch all winter. Deer won't get near it, even though the dogs will be elsewhere.

Just watch to make sure the dogs don't start digging!

jwal10 likes this.
  14. VTHomestead

electric fence is not even on the table.. it looks hideous, I have small children, no thanks.

15. PrairieBelle22

PrairieBelle22 Well-Known Member

what does the corn oil do for the wire?

Belle

16. VTHomestead

gets the deer to lick it, so it will shock them and "teach" them.. peanut butter does the same.

17. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

It draws the animal's nose to the wire. Just takes once.

jwal10 likes this.