650 sq feet or less?

Discussion in 'Homestead Construction' started by ClickBeetle, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ClickBeetle

ClickBeetle Active Member

Too small for a family? Anyone living in a small house such as this? I would love to hear comments on how it is working out.

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

they did it in the 1800's and early 1900's many a first homestead house was smaller than that,
    I do not want to live in that small with a family,

my guess is a lot of apartments probably not not any bigger,

the original homestead house on out farm was about that size, one thing they did do was build it in a Victorian style, and it resulted in a story and half in other words the attic was livable space as well later they did add on to the original house which was 24 by 30, a 16 by 24 area on the side and the house is basically a Tee shape, but with the up stairs (bedrooms up stairs) one room down that could be used for a bed room if wanted), we have three rooms up about 12 foot wide, , and then we have the (what we call the attic closets) the wedge shape that goes out to the roof, edge, and there is a ton of storage area, there, one other thing our house has is out side walls that are 10 foot tall, and the ceiling in the ground floor are about 9 foot, (not recommending 9 foot ceilings) but what I am recommending is there is a small wall above in the upper level because of it, and it helps on head room and the closets much more usable because of that extra wall area, (even tho in our house it is only about 9 inches up stairs),

it layed out nice, I sure it would be livable Trailer houses people live in them, but I would plan it with a possible addition in the future (what I mean is if things change that an addition blends in with the current floor plan and looks, and does not become awkward or like a mistake,

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    swamp man likes this.

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We lived (DH and myself) in a 16 X 24 foot (384 sq. ft.) one room cabin for 2 years while our house was being built 100 feet away.

I loved it and could have lived there forever.

DH went nuts with cabin fever.

With an almost additional 300 feet I could have added a couple of kids with no problem.
    May have needed to find a different DH.:D

I know of a family that raised 5 kids in that size house.

I guess it all depends on the individual and the size of house they've been accustomed to.....and their ability to adjust and compromise.

SimplerTimez and LincTex like this.
  4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was growing up there were 7 of us in a 1000 square foot house.

Bob

5. ClickBeetle

Bob, what was that like? Were you in a rural area?

6. Seeria

Seeria Well-Known Member

We've been RVing and our interior is 7'x21'. That's two adults a 14 and 16 year old. After nearly two years I can say..... REALLY glad we're almost done. If we can't go outside due to weather we tend to get itchy and grumpy. Also, more people in a small space the more often you will need to air the place out.

However, the house I will be building won't be much bigger than yours, close to 900sqft. Which is the size of the last apartment we four lived in for 3 years in central WI.

Luck!

7. rags57078

rags57078 Well-Known Member

I would bet you don't make chili or ham and bean soup much LOL :nanner:

8. wannabechef

wannabechef Well-Known Member

I would have that as the living quarters and a second building as a kitchen/cook house.

9. ClickBeetle

You are brave seeria!

I am just looking at it. If I bought it, I would at least add on some type of room in the back, a sunroom or enclosed deck. I think they already have an offer on it! Easy come, easy go. We shall see.

10. Maverick_mg

Maverick_mg Well-Known Member

There are 5 of us in a little over 700sf. The girls, 3 of them, oldest is 3 and the twins are 15 months, DH and me. It's workable. I would be okay with it this way for prolly a lot longer the DH. There are a few things I wish I had, like a laundry room and a pantry. Oh and maybe be a bedroom for DH and I. We let the little girls have the bedroom and our bed is in a closet....like Harry Potter. But even that would be workable if DH would build me one of those Dutch sleeping cupboards.

11. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

It all depends on how much stuff you have to have in the house and how willing you are to be organized. Like others have said, many a homesteader back in the day raised 10 kids in a one room shack out on the prairie. They simply had to be organized and roll up all the beds everyday so there was room to have meals and live.

Some loft space for beds wood be a great idea for something that small. Not too much room for individual privacy but it can be done.

SimplerTimez likes this.
  12. GaMntHomestead

GaMntHomestead Well-Known Member

DH and I are converting a 12X30 shed into a tiny house. We just purchased 5 acres and are hoping to put the shed(cabin) on the land to stay in on weekends and live in when we finally move there. We are already thinking about adding on another 12X30 to one side for a couple of bedrooms though, because I have family talking about visiting, so the shed itself would not be large enough for visitors.
    I am looking foward to it though!

SimplerTimez likes this.
  13. wannabechef

wannabechef Well-Known Member

Would live to see pictures once completed...once I'm an empty nester we are downsizing

Fellow Jawgin'

14. How Do I

How Do I In the Garden or Garage

We have a little 'cabin' on our place that is currently our shed. It is about as big as a modern bedroom. A few years ago, DW ran into one of the kids that grew up in that 'house'. Her father passed away several years ago. I forget how old it is, but it is tiny and in addition to her ma and pa, there were several other kids raised there.

My aunt and uncle stayed in my grandfather's converted wood shop for several years with three boys. It didn't even have running water or a bathroom. They cooked with a hot plate and microwave.

15. PorkChopsMmm

PorkChopsMmm Well-Known Member

How many kids do you have?

After building our own smaller cabin, I would recommend "pre-planning" for additions. E.g. make sure you could easily add on to the building when you have the funds or desire for an addition. We have the space around our house but did not plan well and on a perfect wall for an addition we have our stairway. Now instead of just adding on we have to add on and completely change the layout on the inside. Wish I would have thought of that while building.

16. ErinP

ErinP Too many fat quarters... Supporter

We're currently raising 2 kids in a 14x70 trailer house. 980 sq. feet.
    Two bedrooms, which means DS is in a curtained off corner of the living room. And, because it's a trailer house, a ridiculous amount of floor space is devoted to the hallway that runs halfway down the house. Were it laid out as a square, the hallway would be another room.

All of that said, it's too small for us. We have room for the basics and that's it.
    The basics are fine for short-term, but I don't want to live forever being quite this crowded. The new house is going to be about half again as big. 1500 sq. feet. Still small by today's standards, but big enough to suit us!

17. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

We built a 16x32 hunting camp in WV, one room, I could easily live in that if it had indoor plumbing andd electricity........

18. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

ClickBettle,

We didn't know any different everyone lived that way. We had a small farm, so we didn't spend much time in the house laying around watching tv and such. Spent alot of time in the barn milking cows and goofing around. Now days everyone wants their own space so they build a bigger house. We just downsized from 2400 sq ft to 1400, kids are all gone so we didn't need all that space. The only drawback is I lost a two car garage and 30 x 48 foot pole barn. I'll start building my 24 x 28 foot garage next year. Will get rid of a lot of stuff I've been dragging around for 20 years thinking someday I will use it.

Bob

SimplerTimez likes this.
  19. lexa

lexa Well-Known Member

We currently live in 470 sq. f. apartment. Two adults, 5 year old and 18m old. It is tight but doable. Our apartment consist of two rooms and a bathroom. Kids have the bedroom and larger room works as a kitchen/living/storage and grown up bedroom. We have furniture that is perfect for storage.
    The issues that we are having is that if people do not put things back immediately, the space becomes cluttered. On other hand it takes no time to clean up. I would have been better if it was a house with the backyard, so kids could go outside freely. When we will be building out own house it will be no bigger that 650sq feet. My improvements to our layout would be bigger kids room, slightly bigger bathroom (to fit a tub) and kitchen. Mudroom is a must!

20. TxMex

TxMex Lady beekeeper Supporter

Whether it will work or not has a lot to do with how much time everyone spends outside. If you are all going to be stuck inside together for long periods of time...I'd opt for something bigger.

I'm hoping to downsize to something the size of a large portable building. Maybe 300 sq ft or so with a screened in porch. I currently live in a 2 bedroom 1500 sq ft house and I rattle around in here like one dry pea in the bottom of a gallon jar!

Another thing to consider is, are you a minimalist or an accumulator? I'm a minimalist, so I really rattle around in this big house. Someone that has hoarding or extreme prepping tendencies would need a bigger space, or at least a separate storage shed.

SimplerTimez likes this.